This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Well they can't increase it by free will can they because the combined charges have to come in under the cap rate. I don't see how it contradicts itself at all.
What is the cap rate?

I am not being awkrawd, just confused at this point.

The press tends to concentrate on this annual cost for typical usage, but of course this doesnt apply to almost everyone as only very few will have a usage level right on this typical level.

So for everyone who doesnt fit that profile, what is the cap rate, since apparently the unit rate and SC are not capped?

Also why are they publishing SC costs and unit rates?

Last edited:
Soldato
my daily is
gas: Sc 27.47p
elec: Sc 52.18p

2024-04-07-05-21-03-NVIDIA-Ge-Force-Overlay.png

Soldato
Elec standing charge: 47.96p
Gas standing charge: 27.47p
That's on Octopus Tracker in the South East. Speaking of which....

Is there a rough guide to know whether the tracker rates are going to be relatively cheap/expensive without looking up the rates online?

E.g. It's sunny and windy today/last week, so unit prices will be cheap as renewables are generating more? Or is it more nuanced than that?

Soldato
Elec standing charge: 47.96p
Gas standing charge: 27.47p
That's on Octopus Tracker in the South East. Speaking of which....

Is there a rough guide to know whether the tracker rates are going to be relatively cheap/expensive without looking up the rates online?

E.g. It's sunny and windy today/last week, so unit prices will be cheap as renewables are generating more? Or is it more nuanced than that?
Are you asking if we can predict the future? No.

But I will say my opinion, I predicted the prices on tracker wouldnt shoot up in winter based on that winter weather tends to have more wind which should offset gas demand for heat by increasing proportion of electric generation from renewables. Not sure its quite as simple as that but that was the basis of my opinion.

Also if you look at the historical graph, its a lot less sporadic now, somewhat more stable with its movements compared to when the energy crisis started when it was erratic.

Tracker had its algorithm adjusted which effectively adds around a couple of pence to the unit rate, still much cheaper than SVR, but because Agile didnt get the same adjustment, I think that might be worth considering.

If you on Octopus already with a smart meter, you can use the Octopus compare app to compare what your bill would be on different tariffs, so comparing to SVR and also comparing Agile to Tracker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are those the April 2024 prices? If so, then that's cheap, because I'm paying just over £1.02 with my April 2024 prices. :(
Oh, good point that was from my March bill so old numbers. The app (not very reliable) is now saying:

Gas: 31.57p/day
Elec: 71.20p/day
Total: 102.77p/day :( :(

Soldato
Are you asking if we can predict the future? No.
No, I don't mean predict the rates, just asking if there's a general rule of thumb you can use to work out what the rates are today/tomorrow.

I assumed that a big driver of the rates would be weather conditions. I.e. Warm, sunny and and windy =cheap rates, cold, cloudy and still = expensive rates. But perhaps that's an incorrect assumption

Soldato
Usually you get nothing but if you're lucky you can win some bill credit!

If signed up for octoplus the minimum you get is 8 points, which I think is like 1p lol. This month I got 32 points (4 spins x 8).

One day I'm sure I'll get some bonus points!
On the old wheel I was doing ok on it, I think got at least a dozen or so £1 wins in 2023 before enabling octoplus. In one month 3 out of 4 spins were £1 winners.

On the octoplus wheel every single spin was 8 points (or whatever it is for 1p) for several months until finally last month I got the 8000 or whatever it is spin in (£1).

I suspect now with them doing things like the greggs promotion, and the assured 1p win, the £1 odds got worse, whether thats just affecting octoplus members or the normal wheel in addition I am curious.

Last edited:
Soldato
On the old wheel I was doing ok on it, I think got at least a dozen or so £1 wins in 2023 before enabling octoplus. In one month 3 out of 4 spins were £1 winners.

On the octoplus wheel every single spin was 8 points (or whatever it is for 1p) for several months until finally last month I got the 8000 or whatever it is spin in (£1).

I suspect now with them doing things like the greggs promotion, and the assured 1p win, the £1 odds got worse, whether thats just affecting octoplus members or the normal wheel in addition I am curious.

Very lucky indeed! 8000 I think is like a £10 one as well so gz!

Caporegime
Are those Octopus tracker rates a flat rate all day?

My overnight rate is higher than that, my day rate is 30p/kwh. Gas is 6p/kwH.

Got a smart meter going in this month so should give me some more options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom