This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
By 2030 grid scale battery storage will be cheaper than hydro, and in another 5 grid-scale hydrogen storage. About 10-15 years before the first of the new nuclear power stations could come on line.

Nuclear is dead. The stations should have been builts 20 years but it is too late now. An entirely green renewable energy future will happen far quicer and far cheaper.

Nuclear is absolutely the last thing we need right now. It doesn't solve any problem with the energy crisis, will just burn through billions and billions before the projects are scrapped as renewable energy will be literally 100x cheaper than nuclear.

If the government wsnted tp they could help fast track massive wind generation and battery storage to be in place by next winter.

The government has announced 25% nuclear by 2050 so I wouldn't call that "dead".

Nuclear isn't about low cost, it's about price stability and energy security. Large scale battery storage technology is a pipe dream at the moment, like fusion it's always "just a few years away", on the other hand nuclear is a proven technology, and as France has demonstrated you can get a plant built in 4 years if you run a tight ship.

For some perspective on battery technology.

Last edited:
Associate
Latest quote calculated today as I thought be worth to see if anything changed from my quotes 6 months ago:
  • 4kW PV system (no storage) £5419 installation
  • Expect 3648 kWh/year return
  • £171 a year saving with current 28.3429p/kWh (Their calculation figure they using) mine is slightly less at 27.86p/kWh so would be less saving
  • £125 year payment from SEG, average of 4.1pkWh (Their figure on whole market return currently
  • Maintenance would be required around year 10 at £725
With those install costs and then return then it would take 21 year at April market price to make this viable! Even at a higher return I have seen calculated from some online calculators they are coming in at 19 year

something looks off with these calculations to me..

Payback depends on how much of the Solar you use. As it cost you around 30p to import and you get around 4p for any export.

Using your numbers:
3648 kWh * 28.3429p / kWh = £1,034 if you use 100% of it.

100% is unrealistic without a battery, I used the link below to play with the numbers. I came to the conclusion that although it increases the cost a battery helps with payback. I can also charge it at 7p/kWh on Octopus go during the winter.

if you can divert as much spare generation to a car, battery or water heater and avoid export!

i am getting a system installed in about 2 weeks 4.5kw PV and 8.2 kwh battery for around £8.5K, payback won’t be significantly less than 10 years and I think electricity will be pushing 40p within a year or two.

https://www.solarguide.co.uk/solar-pv-calculator

Edit, I have just used the above and it suggests around £540 savings per year at 50% usage. So payback of around 10 years. Push the utilisation up and as the price per kWh increases payback is faster

Last edited:
Soldato
You done being a victim? You got called out and proven wrong. Then attacked someone for being a “labour voter”.

Are you alright mate?
I'm not a victim but you seem very upset, had a bad day at work have you? I never attacked anyone, I'm defending myself from the abuse I'm getting..

Why aren't you coming up with solutions regarding energy, no you'd rather come after me.. Are you alright?

Caporegime
I've just played around with the energy saving trust's calculator and it says for a 5KW system it would cost approx £6,682 without battery storage, and would generate 4,352KWh of power which would would save me £1,277.32 a year on my current tariff and would pay itself off in 5.2 years if it had battery storage, the question is how much would battery storage cost? I'm at home most of the day in winter when my heating is on, so would just need it for summer really.

Soldato
The solar system I’ve just agreed to is:

- 14x 390w panels
- 10.5 kWh battery
- 5kW inverter
- Eddi power diverter

£12k fully installed

Soldato
Hmm, so would possibly take about 8.5 years to pay itself back in that case.
The eddi diverts the solar power to my immersion water tank heater, which saves on gas usage. Heating water last year cost us about £10 per month, through the summer, so I expect £30 per month saving on gas , given the 3x price increase this year.

Charging the battery through the night at 7.5p will help during the low solar gen winter months, to use during the day.

Any surplus solar power will go into my car.

if I have any excess solar power after the above it gets exported to the Grid at 3p

Soldato
I’ve never really looked in to solar panels but my house uses a ridiculous amount of electric (10,000kWh/annum) and they’re now seeming more appealing.

The usage is pretty much 1kWh 24/7 so I don’t think we’d need battery storage to avoid wasting the energy from the panels but to create that amount of energy would I not need a giant roof for what is probably a large number panels? :cry:

The solar system I’ve just agreed to is:

- 14x 390w panels
- 10.5 kWh battery
- 5kW inverter
- Eddi power diverter

£12k fully installed

How much energy would those panels produce over a year?

Soldato
I would not be jumping in on solar right now. Government grants on that sort of stuff is surely around the corner. Plus electric is not the major problem. It's gas !

It was the current government that closed the FiT subsidies back in early 2019, why would they introduce something new, especially when the industry is currently booming thanks to the price rises over the last six months.

Soldato
you might want to look at cutting down if you can or improving efficiency that’s going to be almost £3k per year

This has been cut down already! Knocked 210w 24/7 off today by swapping out the pond pump to a more efficient/less powerful one.

I know it’s high but it is what the house/we use so looking for other options rather than paying 28p/kWh with it potentially going higher in October. Thought I’d look in to solar to see how long the payback time would be and if we would need to add battery storage or not.

Back
Top Bottom