This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
I said when that loan thing comes out. I bet later they will make it not a loan and claim 'aren't we nice'.
I bet it was going to be this way from the start.

So am I right in thinking everyone gets something (not means tested)
Then some people get more?

It should be applied as bill credit to stop people splurging.

Caporegime
Can anyone sum up the amounts.
And who gets what. I have no idea!

Is everyone getting 400?

Anyone with holiday homes is going to be doing very well if so!

Associate
Ahh but if you are lucky you will go from being in the middle to being poor as a result and then you too can enjoy that extra pittance in handouts.
Yeh continues to be the case re the middle. I often look around my relatively new housing estate and think why on earth do i work and get stressed to try and provide for my family, when there are multiple families a few doors down get a house paid for, car provided, broadband provided etc etc. and never work. Honestly i just keep thinking im doing something wrong here.

Caporegime
So they are finally doing what Labour told them to do, and what they voted against only last week. Amazing.

Was bound to happen.
Don't think they have any other option

I feel its quite a lot. And still quite blunt. I certainly don't need 400 as my electric rates are quite low. But I guess no system is perfect for this stuff.

Soldato
I am now in the group of people where the provider has tried it on with inflated DD. In my case its due to their algorithm getting it wrong on estimated usage.

They have my estimated annual electric cost at just below £3800, last night I got the inevitable email, we increasing your direct debit to £424 (from £95) based on future usage (2 weeks notice until DD date).

Thankfully a phone call resolved it easily, my smart meter bill was checked and DD set back, I still cannot go to variable DD yet due to another issue, but will switch to variable asap.

Actual bill amount for last full month issued a few days ago for both fuel actual not estimated usage including VAT was £86. My electric part of the bill is actually lower than 2021 now due to the fact I have a proper working meter now not giving inflated readings.

Also to note I had to call them, Octopus blocked me from setting to £95 myself I couldnt set it lower than £312.

Caporegime
Yeh continues to be the case re the middle. I often look around my relatively new housing estate and think why on earth do i work and get stressed to try and provide for my family, when there are multiple families a few doors down get a house paid for, car provided, broadband provided etc etc. and never work. Honestly i just keep thinking im doing something wrong here.

Too rich to get help, not rich enough for it not to matter/affect you....

I feel you man.

I mean, I'll likely be fine. But it does make me wonder why I bother.

Caporegime
Personally, I think their measures are weird.

They should subsidise /make up the difference to those not still on cheap fixed deals.

Giving EVERYONE a blanket £400 seems an odd solution.

Though I guess my proposal might be too costly to implement admin wise.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Was bound to happen.
Don't think they have any other option

I feel its quite a lot. And still quite blunt. I certainly don't need 400 as my electric rates are quite low. But I guess no system is perfect for this stuff.

Theres "not perfect" and there is ******* stupid. The Tories are brilliant at coming up with the latter. The stamp duty holiday, an indiscriminate payment to everyone no matter their income, their suggestion of bringing back right to buy. What all these things have in common is that they appeal to idiots who don't look past the obvious benefit.

Giving people on benefits a large lump sum of money is a really really stupid idea. A huge proportion won't save it for increased energy costs and what will happen when the increase bites? Will the government let them freeze? Of course not.

Soldato
For those who have been tracking prices, has wholesale cost really risen 50% since April? every graph I have looked at doesnt indicate that, this new cap (alongside the quarterly updates to cap), seems done in mind in keeping the energy companies happy, ofgem seems in industry protection mode right now. I expect the companies have been lobbying ofgem day and night that the SVR makes their fixed rate deals look bad so they want an inflated cap. Or is it the case that the cap is loss making and there is a correction factored in to the rise. I am not convinced by this when you consider Octopus Agile.

Associate
The question I have on this, even with the £400 being given, is should people still fix if they have a deal available that is no more than 30% more than the SVR? SVR is looking to be around £2800 as of Oct and remain around that until April 23. Deals are coming up until July 23, for existing customers, at around £2100 which is around 25% cheaper.

Soldato
That's a new install??
That looks ancient

And that's a high use for today without any reason you know of for it being that high
Same as my IHD.

He needs to to tap the "so far today" a few times, it will eventually change to live watt usage.

If model is ancient, I can tell you this is what they distributing for Octopus customers, I have two of these now, a broken one given to me in March, and another I got about a week ago.

Caporegime
Theres "not perfect" and there is ******* stupid. The Tories are brilliant at coming up with the latter. The stamp duty holiday, an indiscriminate payment to everyone no matter their income, their suggestion of bringing back right to buy. What all these things have in common is that they appeal to idiots who don't look past the obvious benefit.

Giving people on benefits a large lump sum of money is a really really stupid idea. A huge proportion won't save it for increased energy costs and what will happen when the increase bites? Will the government let them freeze? Of course not.

You'd hope this will come off energy bills right? Not cash in the bank!

Totally agree on the stamp duty break.

Back
Top Bottom