This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Commissario
even forgetting countryside just how many square metres of industrial and municipal building roof do we have. that is surely a lot of solar. our leisure centre has made a half hearted efforts with a few dozen panels (not counted exactly) but there is room for at least 4x the amount.
From memory Games Workshop in Nottingham have a lot of their roofing covered in what I suspect are high wattage panels, apparently they did a big expansion of their facilities a few years back and got told by the distribution operator that there was no way to upgrade their incoming power in the short term without a huge direct investment by GW, and if they didn't they'd have to wait. I think what GW did was put in the panels to cover at least some of their electrical use (they run plastic molding machines, and had just installed loads more), and waited.

At this point it would make sense for most/all new build/refurbs of warehouses, manufacturing, and offices to have the maximum amount of solar they can accommodate, and I'm surprised the supermarkets haven't done this as IIRC the utilities bill is usually the biggest or second non goods cost for them.

Caporegime
At this point it would make sense for most/all new build/refurbs of warehouses, manufacturing, and offices to have the maximum amount of solar they can accommodate, and I'm surprised the supermarkets haven't done this as IIRC the utilities bill is usually the biggest or second non goods cost for them.
My local Lidl has just had an extension/refurbishment which included installation of solar panels on the roof.

Commissario
My local Lidl has just had an extension/refurbishment which included installation of solar panels on the roof.
I think that's the first time i've heard of it from a supermarket:)

None of the local ones near me, including the ones that only opened about ~2 years ago on a brand new retail estate have them, but i'm not surprised Lidl have done it as they and Aldi had to be faster to react than the older UK brands to get a foothold given they entered the market here in the 90's and they seem to have kept that idea to some degree.

Soldato
I think that's the first time i've heard of it from a supermarket:)

None of the local ones near me, including the ones that only opened about ~2 years ago on a brand new retail estate have them, but i'm not surprised Lidl have done it as they and Aldi had to be faster to react than the older UK brands to get a foothold given they entered the market here in the 90's and they seem to have kept that idea to some degree.
I think until now it wasn't financially viable the ROI was many many years, now it is only 5 or 6.

Soldato
Just how much can we squeeze the plebs to make more profits for the energy companies before they catch on? :D
People have caught on and yet there is still a huge proportion of people (here is an example) unwilling to do something in protest.

Cancel DD for a month. Reinstate it after if you want, no impact of doing this really. Or do that trick of cancelling it then set it up again lower.

Soldato
People have caught on and yet there is still a huge proportion of people (here is an example) unwilling to do something in protest.

Cancel DD for a month. Reinstate it after if you want, no impact of doing this really. Or do that trick of cancelling it then set it up again lower.
That isnt a protest it is stupid.

Commissario
I think until now it wasn't financially viable the ROI was many many years, now it is only 5 or 6.
Aye I suppose so, but given most supermarkets tend to try and look forward for years it's odd:)
I know it's not uncommon for them to spend a lot of time/effort in doing other things regarding cutting energy due to the amount they use and the costs of increasing their supply so it's a little odd they didn't do the same for solar.

Caporegime

Why would you do this?

If you can't pay and don't need a good credit file I can understand it.

But cancelling and reinstating? Seems odd.

Also anyone on a fix is not going to want to protest as it's probably a condition of the fix

Caporegime
Yes much as I sympathise with people facing crazy prices now I'm hardly going to endanger my cheap fix.

And that goes for everyone on them.
Now I don't know how many people are on fixes (not many I think) but anyone of those will not be doing it.

And anyone who needs a mortgage or loan anytime in the near future shouldn't be doing it either.

I assume If you're doing it you're prepared to go to the ccj phase?

But yeah if you literally can't pay, then I get it.

Soldato
And that goes for everyone on them.
Now I don't know how many people are on fixes (not many I think) but anyone of those will not be doing it.

And anyone who needs a mortgage or loan anytime in the near future shouldn't be doing it either.

I assume If you're doing it you're prepared to go to the ccj phase?

But yeah if you literally can't pay, then I get it.
Even charities are telling people not to go down that route.

Soldato
Desperate people often do desperate things. If they literally cannot afford to eat, everything else will take a back seat, even common sense.
People who genuinely can't afford to pay shouldn't pay, reserve the support for those people. But this campaign isn't about that is it, its about people just choosing not to pay in protest.

Back
Top Bottom