This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Most are generally monthly, 6 month or 12 month. As mentioned only reason there may be 9 months from this particular person is purely so he can align new clients to an April to April 12 month.

6month and 12month rental agreements are about 80% of the market still. 15% is weekly and monthly with the last 5% other.

36 month rentals have really only been about since 2019 and still limted. All I've seen with them also still have an annual rental review again normally set in April to tie in with financial year.
I’m aware of a colleague with a 36 month tenancy. I think landlords wanted a bit more certainty during the pandemic. He is pretty happy though as it has locked him in at a great rent rate despite the prices exploding.

Yesterday we received our revised combined energy bill, we knew it would be going up like everyone else’s had. It’s doubled, will have to have a look at Uswitch in a bit, but holding out much hope finding a cheaper supplier at the moment.

Can just about guarantee you won’t find any deals right now.

I left my DD as is. Will pay what I can off the increase when I want. They can wait for the rest. Not like I haven’t been in credit for years.

Soldato
Yeah you won’t find any deals uswitch pretty much brings nothing up, energy market is in turmoil. My bills gone up to £260 a month, maybe it’s time to get the windows and doors done this year.

Associate
Yeah you won’t find any deals uswitch pretty much brings nothing up, energy market is in turmoil. My bills gone up to £260 a month, maybe it’s time to get the windows and doors done this year.

Ours went to a very similar figure, we already have double glazing and a new a door. Loft is well insulated, we do have a old combi boiler that was fitted about 16 years ago. We have had a few gas engineers out the last few weeks for quotes on a new boiler. So hopefully the new one will be a bit more efficient than our current one.

Soldato
I highly doubt I will, still worth a look.
It’s easy to work out the cheapest right now - just go on the variable rate. Wholesale energy costs are higher than the price cap retail cost, so no fixed deal is going to be any cheaper.
If you can find a fix which is around 25% less than the price cap then it might be worth considering, given the expected October increase. But that will be costing you more than the variable rate rate until October.

Caporegime
It’s easy to work out the cheapest right now - just go on the variable rate. Wholesale energy costs are higher than the price cap retail cost, so no fixed deal is going to be any cheaper.
If you can find a fix which is around 25% less more than the price cap then it might be worth considering, given the expected October increase. But that will be costing you more than the variable rate rate until October.

Corrected.

Soldato
Cheapest fixed tariff I can see is 12.57p per kwh for gas (27.52p standing charge) and 38.38p per kwh for electric (48.97p standing charge) with OVO Energy.

Both more than 25% over the April variable price cap.

Soldato
Thats the gamble, that October will see a greater then 25% rise so from then on you would be gaining. Burn sticks in a cast iron hob till then :o

Its only fixed for 12 months though so need to work out if your summer and winter usage at the fixed rate will be cheaper than Winter at a potentially higher variable rate in October but it would have to be a big increase and I don't think the public can take much more. We all only have so much money coming in so cuts will be made elsewhere to cover the April price hike, doubt many will have much left to cut come October.

Soldato
I should be able to see what my energy company may offer at the end of my fix in May as tomorrow is the start of the 45-day period here I can leave my tariff.

Not that I will be changing early, but it'd be nice to know

Permabanned
Some people switch off their central heating around about now when we get days of 15c and thats it till late autumn. You going to need a jumper on a few days but thats it for anyone seriously avoiding money spend. The worst off are the elderly of course

I don't ever put mine on. It's just not cold enough in this country for central heating.

Soldato
Only places I can think of that wouldn't need heating are flats above a neighbour who likes it hot.

Suggesting you don't need a heat source in the UK at winter is ridiculous.

Even homes designed to be carbon neutral with heat exchangers struggle to maintain a comfortable home temperature in winter without any form of heat source.

Back
Top Bottom