This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
I am literally dreading my next bill that is due at the end of the year. Might need to (more like have to) donate a kidney to pay it!

Soldato
so octopus are predicting paying £3-6 for anyone who is prepared to lower their energy use between peek times if energy gets tight.

on the surface it seems an ok idea but OTOH it kind of rewards people who are extravagant users and does not do much at all for those who are already trying their best to use less energy around peak times.

Not that bothered either way but I can't help but feel this may encourage some people if this system comes in to think sod it and go back to normal convenient use so they can benefit on the days this is offered.

Soldato
Checked our octopus account, we've made a few changes such as dryer (A++ rated) and washing machine set on delay to finish at 7am so only on when it's cheaper and turned the heating down a bit. We are not using dishwasher etc at all other than a once a month sterilize either. I think the biggest save was turning the hot water down on the combi boiler which you all should, why heat it to then cool it down with cold water.

Anyway September which was the old tariffs we've used about £60 less electricity/gas which is great considering we've not really noticed a detrimental impact to what we're doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Time of use savings will soon be time of use charging, if u can't see that you must be a fool.

Carrot then stick, oldest play in the book

Exactly - meaning people with a Smart Meter will be able save more than those that don't have one, by using energy when it's cheaper.
These people who think Smart Meters are only there to track people's lives, will be stuck on average, higher cost billing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly - meaning people with a Smart Meter will be able save more than those that don't have one, by using energy when it's cheaper.
These people who think Smart Meters are only there to track people's lives, will be stuck on average, higher cost billing.
I would rather use power when it's needed not when it's cheaper thanks

Soldato

That's okay - just know that your decision will end up costing you hundreds, maybe thousands a year in higher energy costs.

My Smart Meter is saving me £1,400 a year on the current Government subsidised electricity unit cost. Without the Government fixing the unit price, that saving would be £2,300.

Last edited:
Soldato
Time of use savings will soon be time of use charging, if u can't see that you must be a fool.

Carrot then stick, oldest play in the book
not about being a fool either way. it is just a sensible and fairer way to do it .

for those who absolutely refuse to go on a smart meter I imagine the standard price will go up and up and up , either that or you will be forced into one.

Soldato
if you are saying you refuse to make even small changes in your routine to keep energy use cleaner esp in the current climate then that is just selfish imo. maybe you flat out can't change anything then fair enough. but most people could push things like dishwasher or washing machine / tumble drier onto off peak use.

I don't think anyone is demanding you cook your meal at 9pm or anything

Soldato
if you are saying you refuse to make even small changes in your routine to keep energy use cleaner esp in the current climate then that is just selfish imo. maybe you flat out can't change anything then fair enough. but most people could push things like dishwasher or washing machine / tumble drier onto off peak use.

I don't think anyone is demanding you cook your meal at 9pm or anything
Don't have dishwasher, there is no need. I have purchased heat pump dryer. Don't fly abroad in holiday, drive and older car, cycle to work. Sold the PC and got a laptop, ,4 year old smart phone cos it still works fine.
I don't need lecturing on energy usage thanks

Soldato
https://postimg.cc/sQ6ms6VC

Energy reduction is surprising, it's amazing just how much we were wasting as don't really notice any big difference to daily activities
It's amazing when you put your mind to it, I'm quite proud of myself.

BjlLQEL.jpg

As we're 4 adults in a 4 bed house I can't see how we can reduce further without impacting our way of life

EDIT - Due to the price rises it's tracking to be about £105 for October but that's fine

Also I'm hoping EDF will give out some kind of incentive for reducing our energy usage, there literary no one in the house between 7am and 7pm.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's okay - just know that your decision will end up costing you hundreds, maybe thousands a year in higher energy costs.

My Smart Meter is saving me £1,400 a year on the current Government subsidised electricity unit cost. Without the Government fixing the unit price, that saving would be £2,300.
Smart meters do not save you money. Using less saves you money.

Soldato
Smart meters do not save you money. Using less saves you money.
Incorrect !
If the unit price is less, then you save money on the energy you use :)

Having a smart meter enables me to go onto a Time of Use (TOU) tariff - where the energy unit cost is less.
My SM sends my energy supplier meter readings every 30 minutes, so they know how much I've used and when, during a 30 mins period. This means for a period of the day/night my unit rate is 7.5p vs 34p, which everyone without a SM is on.

So, for people without a SM, not on a TOU tarrif, 500 kWh costs them £170, yet it costs me £37.50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom