This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Capodecina
Soldato
We are paying £221 a month for our electricity in a one bed flat in Central London. Now I get an email saying it will go up to £300 a month. What the hell can be done about this? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. I have phoned EON who just said, "it reflects your usage" and one woman even said, "don't you know there's a crisis on at the moment, haven't you watched the news?"

B****.

Pet Northerner
Don
We are paying £221 a month for our electricity in a one bed flat in Central London. Now I get an email saying it will go up to £300 a month. What the hell can be done about this? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. I have phoned EON who just said, "it reflects your usage" and one woman even said, "don't you know there's a crisis on at the moment, haven't you watched the news?"

B****.
:eek:
That's more than my combined gas and leccy for a 3 bed semi!

Soldato

B****.

There not wrong…. It reflects your usage against huge energy prices….

As above, I pay far less (E.g. half that) to fuel a 4 bed detached house.

Soldato

B****.

If the £221 a month is what you've been paying for the last year and it's inline with your usage (you aren't in debt/credit) then expect it to double after April, we're all in the same boat. The only thing you can do about it is reduce your usage or pay up.

Capodecina
Soldato
If the £221 a month is what you've been paying for the last year and it's inline with your usage (you aren't in debt/credit) then expect it to double after April, we're all in the same boat. The only thing you can do about it is reduce your usage or pay up.

Thank you. Will raise this with the wife. I imagine most of that is coming from a lot of washing and drying, we're going to have to limit that. Also cooking less or cooking differently.

That said, doing cold washes presumably doesn't use that much energy.

I think computer usage doesn't effect it as much.

Soldato
Thank you. Will raise this with the wife. I imagine most of that is coming from a lot of washing and drying, we're going to have to limit that. Also cooking less or cooking differently.

Yes I think a lot of folk will be looking at how they use energy, it's got very expensive very quickly and it's highly likely to jump up again come October.

You might be surprised how much a pc can chew through, my eldest has left home now and I've noticed a 3-4kwh per day drop in electricity consumption because he's taken his gaming rig with him. The fridge has food in it too :D

Soldato

Tumble drying is probably the most energy intensive appliance outside of electric showers and space heating.

There is nothing wrong with washing at 30, the detergents are designed for it these days and they even advertise on that basis. Use the really long eco wash cycle and only run them when they are full, it uses a lot less energy. The same applies to dish washers.

Pet Northerner
Don
Tumble drying is probably the most energy intensive appliance outside of electric showers and space heating.

There is nothing wrong with washing at 30, the detergents are designed for it these days and they even advertise on that basis. Use the really long eco wash cycle and only run them when they are full, it uses a lot less energy. The same applies to dish washers.

it's what I do, the eco wash on both and fill them to the brim. With gas as it is it's probably better to wash the dishes that way then as / when with hot water from the tap.

Soldato
OP
At 8.00 this morning there was banging on door -Opened up and guy said Oil delivery - I didn't think people started work that early :)

They have to use the Tonka toy to me because of Gypo drive - they put concrete path edging across end instead of curb edging I wanted (they said it's over the top) The first tanker that drove up cracked them so now I only let them put back wheels over but even that is too much -Then they need a full length hose - Tank is right at back of property so it just reaches.

1100 ltrs at 60.85p came to £703 - My first ever load of oil cost me 10p ltr -The was a long time ago.

Caporegime
Yes, no gas in the flat.

Electric heating. Yes. That will do it.

I'm guessing this comes down to more like 100 in summer?
Maybe even less.

3 bed detached here and bills are 160 in winter a month at my rates of 21p elec a and 5p gas
2 people
Both WFH full time

Soldato

B****.
Welcome to 2022 energy prices !
As already motioned - the new price cap goes live from 1st April, so any variable price you are quoted now will go up again from then.

Also, your bill is pretty high and probably reflects a lot of electricity & gas use, especially for a one bed flat. Look at your usage and see what you can reduce down.

Caporegime
Welcome to 2022 energy prices !
As already motioned - the new price cap goes live from 1st April, so any variable price you are quoted now will go up again from then.

Also, your bill is pretty high and probably reflects a lot of electricity & gas use, especially for a one bed flat. Look at your usage and see what you can reduce down.

They have electric heating. Which explains it

Soldato
Chimney Sweeps might make a come back at this rate lol. I don't even know how economical coal is these days?

I remember back around 1980 aged about 5 still having coal fires in two rooms and a bedroom in our pre WW2 house prior to it being completely renovated, we used to have a pantry, coal bunker and an outside toilet back then.

Soldato
How much heating does a 1 bed flat need ?!
Probably best for them to buy some thick jumpers for next winter !
Basically this. That's a crazy cost for a 1 bed flat. My combined cost is half that in a 2 bed house, and I think even that is excessive.
Pray for a long, hot summer.

Soldato
I'd like to think this would be a wake up call for government to try and make us more self sufficient, but I won't hold my breath.
politically/electorially motivated or not, Macron has santioned more of the pwr's that we had rejected with their chinese design influences -
we just ok'd a new mega windfarm I believe.

With an estimated starting price of 50 billion euros ($57 billion), Mr. Macron’s blueprint consists of constructing six mammoth next-generation pressurized water reactors at existing nuclear sites around France starting in 2028, with an option to consider building up to eight more by 2050.
France relies on an aging fleet of 56 nuclear reactors — the most after the United States, with 93 — to generate 70 percent of its electricity and to export energy to other countries. But France has fallen from dominance as EDF, which has grappled with a series of longstanding setbacks,

Man of Honour
I have oil fired heating at home and oil prices have flown up in the last 6 months meaning I am spending circa £2800 a year on oil I suspect, close to a doubling on last years spend, which working from home has increased too. I am with OVO for my electricity and I got an email this week that suggests my electric will cost me around 1/3 more this year than last. I don't have a gas supply so am not impacted by that thankfully.

I've not looked at my food bill, outside of my fridge/freezer failing at the start of the week taking much of the food in it with it sadly, but that too and fuel for my cars means world got a lot more expensive of late. Painful times even if it doesn't create personal hardship thankfully, I still wince when I see the bills.

Back
Top Bottom