This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Soldato
OP
I did a 2 yrs fixed with E.on Next -and it runs out in May - I don't think my £61 a month is going to cover the next deal i can get.
Electric only.
I am going to stock up on candles - If I buy enough I might make a few million £

My first ever oil delivery was 10p ltr

Soldato
Heating oil now 89p/l. Hoping that's just a short term spike, because that will hurt an awful lot of people if it stays that high.

Holy crap. I should have brimmed the 1,800 litre tank at 60p last week, instead of the 1,200 I bought thinking it would go down later in the year.

Soldato
@DXP55 :( should have locked in on the online V9 i recommended in the other thread. Gave folks the headsup it was being pulled very soon and i think about a dozen people on here fixed before it got pulled 24hrs later. Current offers are nowhere near as good

fez

fez

Caporegime
just moved house and checked my energy supplier fixed rate. At the mo, my bill is estimated £217 a month...if I want to fix for 2 years(only option they're giving me), it's £548 a month. Can't see the benefit of fixing

Is your house an open air theatre?

Over £6k/year for a fixed contract. Wow

Soldato
I legit dont understand how large some peoples monthly bills are on here. Even 4 person families etc £300 a month (before increases) is mental, it just screams energy wastage

Last edited:
Caporegime
Winter 2023..
I legit dont understand how large some peoples monthly bills are on here. Even 4 person families etc £300 a month (before increases) is mental, it just screams energy wastage
Heating is the biggest variable. Big space or poorly insulated? Makes a massive difference.

For electricity there isn't so much you can do. Except long term like solar

Soldato

Older homes, people working at home / retired, kids with consoles / pc's / electric heating (thats the biggie), electric showers etc

Remember a lot of people were shafted by energy companies going bust so have been on a higher rate for a while now.

Only people I know who aren't moaning about the bill increases are the ones who barely spend any time at home.

Soldato
Older homes, people working at home / retired, kids with consoles / pc's / electric heating (thats the biggie), electric showers etc

Remember a lot of people were shafted by energy companies going bust so have been on a higher rate for a while now.

Only people I know who aren't moaning about the bill increases are the ones who barely spend any time at home.

See the thing is im all electric and i've been working from home for the last 2 years and my bills went up 20 a month with that change. When there was 2 of us in the house (1940/50's house) it only added an extra 30 quid a month. Currently im paying 90 a month.

My parents are retired and have the heating on all the time in their 30/40 yr old bungalow. They dont skimp on using the heating or electricity and they pay £60 a month, admittedly they are on cheap prices at the moment but i've forcast their increase eventually to cost them about £100-120 a month. which is still nowhere near the £300 a month i see folks complaining about in these threads.

Heating the rooms in a home is just heating the room it doesnt automatically mean that 1 extra person adds 100% more on top of the bill or 2 people add 200%. A house is a finite space to heat, its not as if having 1 extra family member adds 3 extra rooms lol. Yes they may use the heating in 1 extra room but even then the thermal floor for that room should be higher due to bleed through heat from the rest of the home so it shouldnt take 100% more energy to heat 1 extra room

Last edited:
Soldato
I think a huge amount of people set the thermostat to 21 and just leave it there all day and all night all times of year.

Meanwhile in my house the heating is on for an hour in the morning and an hour and a half in the evening. We're lucky to get up to 19 degrees max.

Soldato
I think the average dual fuel is 3100/12000 kWh in electric/gas or something close to that.

That’s what the ofgem cap of £1277 to £1971 is based on. To be paying £300+ a month on a dual fuel is some serious consumption.

Loft insulation is really cheap, an easy DIY install and has always been cost effective to install even when energy prices are low, other things like quality modern windows are quite expensive.

Caporegime
My baseline gas usage (hob and hot water) is 300kwh/month, but 5x that in the 4 main winter months.

My leccy is around 300kwh/month baseline when I take my pc mining out of the equation.

Over the past year, my costs have been £80/month in the summer, and £160/month in the winter.

2 adults, 5 cats, 3-bed detached. And we have like 4kwp of solar panels.

Caporegime
My baseline gas usage (hob and hot water) is 300kwh/month, but 5x that in the 4 main winter months.

My leccy is around 300kwh/month baseline when I take my pc mining out of the equation.

Over the past year, my costs have been £80/month in the summer, and £160/month in the winter.

2 adults, 5 cats, 3-bed detached. And we have like 4kwp of solar panels.

Quite similar.
Before the I it's rises this was basically what we had in a 3 bed detached with hob gas and heating.

With WFH i and piece rises is much higher

Associate

Over £6k/year for a fixed contract. Wow
3bed/2 bath with 1 bed/bath annex on side of house...only been in a month so need to take meter readings, see how much we've used, but house was rated c on report, couple points shy of b, so was hoping it'd be fairly efficient. It's had new megaflow system/tank and new boiler put in 2 yrs ago...£548 above our budget

Soldato
I thought you meant whether it was open plan - how is that working out for them -

Heating is the biggest variable. Big space or poorly insulated? Makes a massive difference.
... recent thread in homes section - insulation requirements went up 2x since 80/90's, unless they have upgraded an older home.

Soldato
Even with expected April price rises and crap fix offers i've seen, I think i'd struggle to get my bill up to £548pm even if I tried, that's absolutely mental - what are the unit rates on that 2 year fix - they're either absolutely garbage or the 'quick comparison' figures it's using a way OTT for realistic usage?

Associate
Even with expected April price rises and crap fix offers i've seen, I think i'd struggle to get my bill up to £548pm even if I tried, that's absolutely mental - what are the unit rates on that 2 year fix - they're either absolutely garbage or the 'quick comparison' figures it's using a way OTT for realistic usage?
Electric 42.26p, standing charge 43.39, gas 12.623p, standing charge 27.22p.....no idea if that good or bad

Back
Top Bottom