This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
Never leave it to the last minute.

I believe the reason the current fixes are so high is that the energy companies do not want new customers unless they are willing to pay waaay over the odds.

I'm with Scottish Power. Who are making a loss from me due to my fix. They are going to accept new customers who will pay effectively what they lose on customers like me.

That's all I think it is

Soldato
Is the government going to do anything to fix this or at least stop it from rising any further?

Their current plan is to stick their head in the sand and hope it has fixed itself by the next budget update.

I found it concerning that when asked how his government is going to help people with the cost of living crisis, the response from Boris was that they are helping people into jobs. You have to hope that they realise that people working fulltime are struggling with all this, not just the unemployed.

Soldato
Their current plan is to stick their head in the sand and hope it has fixed itself by the next budget update.

I found it concerning that when asked how his government is going to help people with the cost of living crisis, the response from Boris was that they are helping people into jobs. You have to hope that they realise that people working fulltime are struggling with all this, not just the unemployed.
They only ever think that's why people are struggling and they think quite wrongly that those who are struggling are scroungers. After all, we can't impugn the brilliance of our wonderful ruling politicians, can we?

Soldato
Interesting had a text from BG asking for readings
Suspect thats why the sites are down if companies are asking for them
Same from Octopus (email). They usually ask for it on the third of the month, but they asked for the readings at least a week ago now which is early. Also, this is despite my being on a fixed tariff so I wonder whether they are just sending these emails out to all their fixed customers in bulk so that they are also not sending in their readings around this time. At least Octopus is more organised and are spreading it out over a week rather than a day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Octopus guy just on the r4adio 40k readings/day versus normal 1K ..... Don't many people with octopus(&beyond) have smart meters.

edit: stat
Collectively across both large and small energy suppliers, there were 26.1 million smart meters
in domestic properties in Great Britain at the end of 2021; 50% of all domestic meters. Of the
26.1 million domestic smart meters operating at the end of 2021, 22.0 million were smart
meters operating in smart mode (Figure 2). At the end of 2021, 13% of all smart meters were in
prepayment mode, broadly in line with the levels of prepayment meters in the market (14%).

Last edited:
Soldato
EON Next is down as well due to extra traffic -It's trying to let me in but it can't.
I am still on a fixed tarrif.

If your fixed tarrif doesnt end in the next 30 days then there is not really any point providing a reading unless you are due a bill anyway.

EonNext currently 3005 waiting calls and 700 calls in progress, been like that since 9am basically

Last edited:
Soldato
Octopus guy just on the r4adio 40k readings/day versus normal 1K ..... Don't many people with octopus(&beyond) have smart meters.

edit: stat
Collectively across both large and small energy suppliers, there were 26.1 million smart meters
in domestic properties in Great Britain at the end of 2021; 50% of all domestic meters. Of the
26.1 million domestic smart meters operating at the end of 2021, 22.0 million were smart
meters operating in smart mode (Figure 2). At the end of 2021, 13% of all smart meters were in
prepayment mode, broadly in line with the levels of prepayment meters in the market (14%).

I have a smart meter. It's dumb though due to no WAN coverage, so still requires reading and submitting.

Soldato
They only ever think that's why people are struggling and they think quite wrongly that those who are struggling are scroungers. After all, we can't impugn the brilliance of our wonderful ruling politicians, can we?

I don't understand people who blame Politicians for everything in the country, what's your plan dude? How do you fix the problem that on the international market gas costs a lot of money and we don't have much of our own? They can't wave a magic wand

Soldato
Is the government going to do anything to fix this or at least stop it from rising any further?

No, there is no fix or preventing it rising further. Gas and electricity are global commodities, we have very little/no influence. The time to stop this happening was 20-30 years ago when we should have been investing in our own facilities and becoming self sufficient as an island.
If you're expecting some sort of meaningful subsidy from the government then I'm afraid your going to be disappointed, that's not how the conservatives work.

Back
Top Bottom