This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
As I said in earlier post my fixed with E.on is finishing at end of June so we have been working on cutting our leccy usage - I pay £62 a month and I was just about using that - some months in credit by a few quid -I have just recieved this weeks cost for reading the meter (do it every Monday) and looks like I am about £37 in credit.
I just hope my 62 quid doesn't double.
Going off the horror stories I've been hearing and reading it will more than double

Soldato
As I said in earlier post my fixed with E.on is finishing at end of June so we have been working on cutting our leccy usage - I pay £62 a month and I was just about using that - some months in credit by a few quid -I have just recieved this weeks cost for reading the meter (do it every Monday) and looks like I am about £37 in credit.
I just hope my 62 quid doesn't double.

Going off the horror stories I've been hearing and reading it will more than double

Yup, going from a good fix last October to svr I've seen a rise of 120-130% for the same usage. I'm confident that's accurate too as I'm a bit sad when it comes to data and spreadsheets :D

Soldato
My fixed came to and end at midnight this morning so monthly payment will increase from £33 to £80... Happy days :rolleyes:.

I guess the "good" outcome is that I know what my annual usage is and Eon haven't overshot the estimated DD amount like some have according to reports.

Still, it's the best part of £50 extra I'd rather not have to spend.

Associate
My fixed ends in October 2023, so thankfully i've escaped the nasties for now... but what's the chances things will still be this far south come October?

Soldato
OP
Oh well - I have nothing else to look forward to.

Last time rises of this magnitude was when Poll Tax was introduced - My rates went from £250 a year to £750 a year - really skinned me - the following year PT was scrapped and rates reduced by £250 so it was a 100% rise for nothing.

Caporegime
With the new gradual ban on Russian oil.. And gas (to be fully defined) has Europe jumped the gun?

It's all very well doing this now. But in winter people are going to become very desperate. And that war in Ukraine is for many not really going to be a justification for not being able to heat your home.
(same way as people buy free range when times are good but this slips as money gets tight)

Is the total ban aim too much too soon? From a moral perspective its totally correct.

But can it be followed through?

Caporegime
My fixed ends in October 2023, so thankfully i've escaped the nasties for now... but what's the chances things will still be this far south come October?

I have a year longer fix. I don't think prices will ever come down to 15p a unit again. I expect a 50percwnt jump when I finish mine
I hope this current peak is a blip. But it's not going to be cheap going forward in my opinion.

Hopefully technically like better solar etc come along to help out.

Fusion power would be ideal right now!

Permabanned
With the new gradual ban on Russian oil.. And gas (to be fully defined) has Europe jumped the gun?

It's all very well doing this now. But in winter people are going to become very desperate. And that war in Ukraine is for many not really going to be a justification for not being able to heat your home.
(same way as people buy free range when times are good but this slips as money gets tight)

Is the total ban aim too much too soon? From a moral perspective its totally correct.

But can it be followed through?

A painful transition I guess. Have to feel for those less fortunate that its going to hurt the most.

Soldato
This could be quite dangerous for some EU economies. Real inflationary pressure is probable and in a bad way. Would be interesting if Russia turned off the supplies early just to add some extra pain.

Soldato
Damn the price of natural gas is still going up. Unbelievable.

DuTGFTNl.jpg

Come again?
Vw3riNB.jpg

Spring/Summer demand plus extra LNG supplies from USA (+others) have reduced prices

Biggest issue in the oil markets atm is middle distillates. Diesel stocks are the lowest they've ever been in some places (e.g. USA)

Soldato
Come again?
Vw3riNB.jpg

Spring/Summer demand plus extra LNG supplies from USA (+others) have reduced prices

Biggest issue in the oil markets atm is middle distillates. Diesel stocks are the lowest they've ever been in some places (e.g. USA)
Is industry going to spike at ofgem assessment time to inflate the capped rates? That spike in March was handily timed.

The real alarming thing is how volatile its got, look how small the adjustments were prior to September.

Caporegime
Is industry going to spike at ofgem assessment time to inflate the capped rates? That spike in March was handily timed.

The real alarming thing is how volatile its got, look how small the adjustments were prior to September.
Wholesale prices are tracked over a period of six months ahead of the next price cap period. The 1 April price cap was announced at the beginning of February so well before the March spike.

Soldato
Hi, Just looking for advice if anyone can , was on 16.7p kWh for power but company went bust and was moved to British Gas on variable which currently is 27.8p DD monthly wont go above the price cap is this the best I can expect for now but when we get closer to Oct is it advisable to get fixed ?

Caporegime
Hi, Just looking for advice if anyone can , was on 16.7p kWh for power but company went bust and was moved to British Gas on variable which currently is 27.8p DD monthly wont go above the price cap is this the best I can expect for now but when we get closer to Oct is it advisable to get fixed ?

No-one knows, it's a gamble either way. If you can afford the increased cost of fixing and are risk-averse, you can do that.

I'm gambling on things and running the variable rate gauntlet.

Soldato
That spike in March was handily timed.
there is a war on.
renewal of the Russian gas and oil contracts at the end of May, and their demands to shift payment mechanism will have further repercussions.

I've not found any trackers that show how any fixed price deals from energy companies are evolving, that should indicate their outlook.

---

( hmmh fridge / freezer consumption will go up in the summer - how much. )

Back
Top Bottom