This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Ousting the prime minister over petty HR issues during a cost of living crisis is starting to look even more pathetic isn’t it… demanding that he can’t invoke any new policies whilst a new PM is chosen even more so..
I know, it’s not like they didn’t have reason to do it a year ago, oh wait…

Caporegime
Well for you and me it's a lot considering what we are paying, for someone looking at 5k bills not so much...

Oh yeah at a personal level it's a lot. It will take my monthly bill in winter down to 60-70 pounds.
But to be honest, at this rate, it's possible our fixes won't even be valid if some of the big boys start to go under

Soldato
iv saved 8.99p a month by switching from EE to Lebaras 1p a month plan. so there is deals to be had out there.
Done exactly this via MSE, Lebara 12GB Data for 1p a month for 6 months, followed by £6.90 BUT its only 1mnth rolling; I've effectively got a 12GB data mobile service for pennies and then I'll just switch again after 6 months is up.

Soldato
Oh yeah at a personal level it's a lot. It will take my monthly bill in winter down to 60-70 pounds.
But to be honest, at this rate, it's possible our fixes won't even be valid if some of the big boys start to go under
Yeah I'm safe ish for the forseeable, and hopefully can ride this out, but am currently living off my savings and trying to avoid taking my pension. If my energy bills went up to 5k then no question I would have to take it just to cover that.

Soldato
Probably not. Neither should anyone not on benefits...
Have to say I do agree with this - I suspect there is a large majority who could cope with the cost on a short term basis without the government having to get into Covid levels of debt. Cancelling holidays / credit cards etc in the national interest.

Caporegime
Yeah I'm safe ish for the forseeable, and hopefully can ride this out, but am currently living off my savings and trying to avoid taking my pension. If my energy bills went up to 5k then no question I would have to take it just to cover that.

I think we'd be OK.

We have quite a lot left over especially with mortgage sorted.
It would be nasty. No more nice holidays like Norway. Or at least vastly cut down.
And probably reevaluate long term decisions.

But as long as we kept our jobs (big if there) would be OK.

But we do have very very little debt. And I've always been very keen to keep it this way.
Only debt is mortgage. Now fixed.

I drive a 3k ancient 207 because I will not get a finance car. Ever.

Edit:
It was actually telling. Talking to the mortgage broker. She asked 3 times how our costs were so low. Almost like she couldn't believe we had no debt. (apart from a credit card 0pc low balance)
Maybe finance is used more than I thought.

Soldato
At 18ppm it's worth even cutting down that Netflix.

Those car costs/finance doesn't help.

But man. That child care. That is grim

Indeed, I have kinda just been holding onto it but got that point now where I will likely sub for month each year at xmas and that it now.

And yeah the car costs don't but can't do a lot about it. 600+ miles a week unfortunately. Problem is because of finances I can't actually remortage to move closer to work which is what I looked at in January to save about £300 of the fuel bill at least.

Man of Honour
People on cheap fixes shouldnt get the £400. Should be easy to sort that out as well.

Why? I decided to fix when it was clear it would be rising a lot further. That was my decision and it turned out to be a good one.

Probably not. Neither should anyone not on benefits...

Just because people aren't on benefits doesn't mean they can easily afford these huge bills. You can't punish people for working.

Caporegime
Why? I decided to fix when it was clear it would be rising a lot further. That was my decision and it turned out to be a good one.

Just because people aren't on benefits doesn't mean they can easily afford these huge bills. You can't punish people for working.
If you are protected from rising prices. Why should you get help for the rising price cap?

Soldato
Thats quite scary to see someone on such a high wage(in terms of myself) struggling so much.

I would seriously not be able to sleep if i was down to £18 after all my bills(not that i have a huge amount left over, maybe £150)
Indeed it mental. To think prior to all these rises and the pandemic (salary end 2019) I was on less than £38k and had more disposable income then. Childcare gone up, fuel, gas and electric, mortgage all come in to make my wage increase still be negative in 24 months pay rises.

Man of Honour
Its fairly obvious, the money is to help with rising energy bills. Your bills wont be rising so you don't need the money.
If you are protected from rising prices. Why should you get help for the rising price cap?

Because despite fixing a couple of months ago, my bills had already risen significantly... the £400 was given out based on that initial rise.

Soldato
the layer of workers earning too much for benefits and not enough to be ahead of the curve is now a very large band of people by the looks of it. To not support them, as is the usual stance, doesn't seem viable in this current scenario.

Back
Top Bottom