This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't think cardboard will help much, in fact it'll trap moisture and also create a fire hazard. Plus the management company will probably charge him for damage.

It's a sad state of affairs.

I don't believe half these stories especially since it hasn't even been cold yet. This is like the story I posted yesterday from the BBC about a woman whos bill has gone from £200/month to £430. Shes got 2 kids and doesn't have a big house. And somehow got into £1000 of debt since rates went up in October despite her bill going up by £230/month... Something doesn't add up.

You would also assume that anyone getting airsource/groundsource heat pumps installed, especially in rented accommodation would make sure the house is actually suitable for them i.e doesn't leak heat like theres no tomorrow. They are very expensive and only work if your house can hold heat and you just "top it up" constantly. They are **** for actually heating a house from cold and useless if they can never outrun the house losing heat.

Soldato
Our electricity DD was £235 a month, gas was £55.
We are in credit with BG, I live in a 3 storey town house, 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 kids, the missus works from home so has her laptop, some lights, TV etc on all day, one of the kids is at school and the other only works 2 days a week so is normally in his room on his XBox all day.

How these people can be in such a mess makes no sense to me given my rates.

Associate
I don't believe half these stories especially since it hasn't even been cold yet. This is like the story I posted yesterday from the BBC about a woman whos bill has gone from £200/month to £430. Shes got 2 kids and doesn't have a big house. And somehow got into £1000 of debt since rates went up in October despite her bill going up by £230/month... Something doesn't add up.

Completely agree with this.

The claims and maths in that Sun article are stupid. First his electricity bill being £78 for two days (over 100 kWh/day), then £192 a week (78 kWh/day) then £200 a month on electricity (a more reasonable 18 kWh/day) is either shoddy writing, shoddy fact checking, or outright lies.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely people who are struggling, but these shock stories don't help matters as they just sensationalise and misrepresent the situation.

fez

fez

Caporegime

The claims and maths in that Sun article are stupid. First his electricity bill being £78 for two days (over 100 kWh/day), then £192 a week (78 kWh/day) then £200 a month on electricity (a more reasonable 18 kWh/day) is either shoddy writing, shoddy fact checking, or outright lies.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely people who are struggling, but these shock stories don't help matters as they just sensationalise and misrepresent the situation.

I mean its been like this for years in the gutter rags but the BBC are now quite happy to quote people who are clearly being either ******* idiots or straight up lying. I blame Twitter personally. At some point it was decided that the 180 character opinions of the dregs of society on social media constituted evidence of fact.

Permabanned

Well people were struggling before energy prices sky rocketed, of course people are going to be even harder up now.

Don
British Gas haven't generated an electric bill for me in 2 months now, so my account is £132 in credit despite being on "whole amount DD" ... I don't think their systems are coping well with these £66 credits.

Exactly the same here.

To loop back to this, I finally called British Gas to get an explanation. Apparently on both 1st Oct and 1st Nov their systems failed to record a meter reading. They confirmed that the smart meter is absolutely fine, but since the system failed on those two dates and because I am billed whole-amount DD, the system couldn't generate a bill properly. For normal DD customers they would use an estimated meter read for the 1st Nov, but they can't do that for whole-amount.

They've now manually generated the October and November bills based on the meter readings from the 2nd Oct and 2nd Nov respectively instead and gave me a £10 credit for the hassle of having to call them to resolve it.

Total electric bill for the last two months (with the Government subsidy) - £10.72. Nice!

Associate

Its 17 degrees outside in Manchester at the moment. The people wracking up massive bills are those with the heating on for no reason trying to maintain 21 degrees inside while they sit there in a tshirt. Ive not had my (gas) heating on at all so far and with the subsidy being applied to my electric EON dropped my DD down to £6.50 a month.

Permabanned
Its 17 degrees outside in Manchester at the moment. The people wracking up massive bills are those with the heating on for no reason trying to maintain 21 degrees inside while they sit there in a tshirt. Ive not had my (gas) heating on at all so far and with the subsidy being applied to my electric EON dropped my DD down to £6.50 a month.
He’s quoting a Sun article so it’s most likely going to be almost completely fabricated.

Soldato
Soldato
yes - we need one of these :

Yes and no. Yes because we need to decarbonise existing hydrogen production and no because we generally don’t have the capacity to power it at the moment and we need to significantly reduce our reliance of foreign gas. Either way, it’s not for heating, transport or anything else people seem to come up with to use it.

It’s to replace the hydrogen created from natural gas using the steam reformation process which emits an horrific quantity of CO2. Almost all hydrogen used is created using this process, it’s then used in industrial process such as the production of fertiliser.

We shouldn’t be considering any new uses for hydrogen until all the existing uses have been decarbonised. That on its own is a significant challenge and requires an huge amount of energy to undertake.

Soldato
We shouldn’t be considering any new uses for hydrogen until all the existing uses have been decarbonised. That on its own is a significant challenge and requires an huge amount of energy to undertake.
it's for decarbonising fuel oil distillation and chemical production ... decarbonising oil - most noble of goals ?

Soldato
This is our gas use : 2021 vs 2022.
Since July 22 we had solar installed with a diverter to use excess solar energy to heat water. On days when the sun isn't shining we use the diverter to heat water on the Octopus Go overnight off-peak rate, so we avoid using a lot of gas to heat water.

No real changes of routine, we are just more aware of gas cost increases, so being a bit more careful with heating use this Winter :cry:

On the costs : :(
  • From April 22 you can see the jump as the higher price cap charges start. Same use each April but double the cost in 2022 !
  • October 21 vs October 22 : About half less use in 2022 but double the costs

52492824863_e24bfb7f3f_o.jpg

Note : Cost includes the standing charge, use and VAT

:: EDIT :: Updated the monthly costs as they were being calculated wrong previously (A Scottish Power error on their data)

How much Electric does everyone use per day? Im around 8-12KWH per day, family of 4, 3 bed bungalow. My PC is the worst offender at 600w when gaming.

This is our Electricity use in October, between 16-20kWh per day : Family of 3, Four bed detached. As mentioned above - we currently use Electricity to heat water in the mornings.
The 40 kWh+ peaks are EV charging days

52491706722_1a7ee85334_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom