Poll: This is why i dislike social media

Is it ok to take the photo and share it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
From the article

"But for some people the image is inappropriate at best and at worst has undertones of paedophilia."

Really? Who on earth is thinking that??

Paedophiles?

Seriously, there are so many things wrong with social media, this story doesn't even touch the sides.

There nothing wrong with the picture, and without knowing exactly how sick the child was, I don't have enough information to judge the parents either.

If you don't want the publicity, don't post **** on Facebook. Persoanlly, I never have and never will post a picture of my children on social media. I find it cringy.

Soldato
My first reaction was very much a non-reaction... then after reading the article I just thought people need to lighten up.

I see your point OP, I probably wouldn't do it either, but it really isn't a big deal and I believe the photo will actually reach out to a lot of parents, they would be able to relate to this. There is a lot more to this photo than just "oh look my baby is ill". Quite frankly the comments received from Joe Public are far worse and demonstrate a greater level of ignorance than the photo and the action of taking the photo.

Soldato
Bit of a blanket statement there from the OP. Like with most things in life I wish people could apply a bit more common sense.
That picture is quite touching and don't see anything wrong with it really. But as another poster above said, taking pictures of the decline of a terminally ill relative isn't so cool.

What about the chap who had the time to take a pic of the fellow stood in front of the tank in Tiananmen Square? Or of those children in Vietnam fleeing naked through the streets? Where do you draw the line?
Very different things to take photos of. Large public political events - yes. A private family moment? Why the need to share it to the world?

Man of Honour
I think it's a beautiful photograph. It shows both the fragility of the child and the love of the father.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. It's a snapshot in time which captures so much. Photography is one of the only art forms I can truly appreciate.

From the article

"But for some people the image is inappropriate at best and at worst has undertones of paedophilia."

Really? Who on earth is thinking that??

I would say that I've never heard anything so ridiculous, but I continue to fail to correctly underestimate some people.

Soldato
OP
Mods. Can the poll be changed as its not the picture that is wrong its the fact that it was taken while the child was ill and posted on social media

Maybe a "should this picture have been shared option"

Caporegime
Mods. Can the poll be changed as its not the picture that is wrong its the fact that it was taken while the child was ill and posted on social media

Sounds like it was pictured and shared before it became apparent just how ill the child was though?

I mean, I've seen photos on Facebook of kids that are 'poorly' and off school where they are lying snuggled in bed or with their parent etc.

Who is to say that wouldn't develop to something horrible? You just don't know.

Soldato

Yet your opening statement was "In my opinion, this photo should have never been taken let alone posted on the internet. "

Although I would probably answer yes to both... it's a beautiful moment. I think many fail to see it for what it is.

Man of Honour
Maybe they put it on Facebook to share among close friends. It only takes one person with a large number of Facebook friends to like or comment it and then it goes viral. I doubt they planned it to go viral and my dad for example would never imagine that something he puts on facebook may be seen by people outside of his friends

I doubt she was on photoshop touching it up while waiting for the ambulance. If the daughter came out ok and survived, then what's wrong with sharing it after the ordeal is over as it really is a touching and powerful photo

Jesus...some people :confused:

Soldato
Ive got nothing wrong with the picture as it is. The fact that it was taken when the child was ill is wrong. Looking at my phone or taking a picture wouldnt have even registered

Agreed points. Nothing wrong with the photo itself, but in that situation, my first thought wouldn't be "ooh I can score Facebook points with a picture of this!", it would be "what can I do to make my child feel better"?

It is just the way of the world these days... I think moments like that should be kept private, Just because it is a powerful moment doesn't mean everyone needs to know about it...

Indeed, IMO, it detracts from the moment; instead of the mother concentrating on the needs of the child and the love of the father, it turns into a shallow "look at me" moment to post on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom