This new lottery operator

Soldato
Boggle. That's £100 a week. The lottery's been going about 30 years, hasn't it? So that's about £150k they've spent. That's about the second prize. That's definitely an idiot tax.

I dont know if they have been playing for that long exactly, maybe it started out with £1 tickets back in the beginning and got worse and worse over time.
But yes last time I spoke to them it was £100 every week, £50 each and there must be other like them who have a real problem with it.

I have also noticed people buying £20+ of scratch cards in newsagents in one go and you have to wonder how much in total some people have wasted on it and lost.
Like you say, if added up it could amount to large sums of money lost.

Soldato
I pay the idiots tax of £12 a month for one line on set for life. I bet all those people who saved that £12 are really feeling the benefit.

Soldato
I pay the idiots tax of £12 a month for one line on set for life. I bet all those people who saved that £12 are really feeling the benefit.
Depends how long they have or haven't been playing and how much spare they have, I suppose. Like insurance, it is a thing people pay for that is vanishingly unlikely to pay out.

Soldato
Depends how long they have or haven't been playing and how much spare they have, I suppose. Like insurance, it is a thing people pay for that is vanishingly unlikely to pay out.

Yes, if you play with money you can't afford to lose of course. I don't think many people play thinking it's ever likely to pay off.

Soldato
I spend approx £4 a week on the lottery. In the grand scheme of things thats nowt. Especially as i am not one that likes to spend, spend, spend...

Last edited:
Soldato
I spend approx £4 a week on the lottery. In the grand scheme of things thats nowt. Especially as i am not one that likes to spend, spend, spend...

This is my point, "idiot tax" is such a regurgitated basic NPC response. Easier to just repeat stuff whilst sloth'ing in your armchair than put any kind of thought behind something though. Almost like moderation is a resounding factor like in most things.

Last edited:
Soldato
For me and many, the lottery is entertainment.

Boggle. That's £100 a week. The lottery's been going about 30 years, hasn't it? So that's about £150k they've spent. That's about the second prize. That's definitely an idiot tax.

I know someone who I'm pretty sure is a pensioner paying about 300 a week.

Associate
My step son is in a syndicate of 8 three weeks back they shared £1m between them. I’ve won £300 on a scratch card.

Soldato
For a chance to win big, for less than the cost of a Starbucks each week, I don't see the harm. I know the odds, and never spend more than I can afford.

For those of you calling it an idiot tax, would you say that if you played and won the jackpot?

Caporegime
is it another pension fund...

the government should have ran it themselves with a fixed percentage going to improve local parks etc and with 0 profits leaving the country..

For those of you calling it an idiot tax, would you say that if you played and won the jackpot?

put your numbers in one of those sites that back checks what you would have lost since the lotto started.
then realise its a waste of time and people are dreaming.

anyone deluded enough to think they will win ... there's a gambling meme
4YbWj0q.png

if you would have put all those thousands in the stock market like NVIDIA shares.. a stock a lot of people on this forum would be attracted too naturally then thats a 3000% return on just the last 5 years, pretty much any tech stock and you'd have a decent return.
get a trading 212 account, chuck whatever you spend on lottery tickets a week in there... consider it gambling whilst building a bit of a pension

my parents must have spent tens of thousands on lottery tickets since it started.

Most family wealth came from buying stocks and never selling, granny dies and there's millions of shares sat under her mattress, not from people buying lotto tickets

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn’t say it’s an idiot’s tax… but I would say it’s a tax on the poor.

The rich don’t play the lotto or think it’s a bit of fun, while the poor pour far too much into it chasing the dream, who are we to say they are idiots when it gives the hope.

There’s been periods where I’ve spent far too much, like 10 pounds per draw chasing those big euro jackpots, draw after draw as they roll over.. obviously I didn’t win else I would be bragging about it. Not a large amount, considering how much a takeaway costs now a days but if you add it all up, it’s scary. I’ve closed down my online lotto account to stop myself from chasing the dream.

Back
Top Bottom