This really hurts.

Soldato
It is with great sadness that I must report that my partner Edith died late last night.
She fell ill on Sunday with what we thought was a none to serious exacerbation, but it was felt that attending A&E because of her high temperature was the right thing to do. In fact if she had not thrown up her oral antibiotics she would have come home.
She seemed fine on Monday though the hospital was concerned that her temperature was still high so it was decided to keep her in another night.
I visited her yesterday afternoon and she did not seem well, unable to breath and lay flat for the CT scanner but I was not overly worried thinking that the infection had perhaps not peaked.
I had a phone call at 9pm from her son saying that she was in a very poor way.
I rushed up to the hospital and listened to the Dr's but there was really little to be done.
The hardest thing I have ever done in my life was to watch my darling Edie, my partner for 35 years struggle to breathe, she did not deserve this cruel way to die, the only blessing is she was unaware so did not suffer. Her right lung had collapsed and pneumonia had set in. How this came on so fast was a mystery as there was little on the chest x-ray of Sunday evening.
At least she did not die alone as her son, sister, granddaughter and myself were at her bedside.

I saw the true face of the NHS last night, professional but so caring from the student nurse to the intensive care consultant.

Regards

Soldato
Truly sorry to hear. You and the rest of the family have my sincere condolences.

I cannot even begin to imagine how hard this must be and I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here if you need it.

Caporegime
Sorry to hear this, on one hand it's awful having to watch a loved one die, on the other hand it is good to know they weren't alone, weren't in pain and had family around. :(

Back
Top Bottom