Thomas Cook

Associate
2008 was eleven, nearly twelve years ago.... We're talking about the present not a time when the iPhone had only just been released. I assume many of the people striking joined in that long interim and were happy with the pay.

Some did, many will have been there back then, I have no idea of the numbers. B.A. does'nt have a very high turnover of pilots. Its the sort of job once you get you stay for life. If you were one of the ones who took a pay cut you might expect your colleagues who joined in the interim to support you getting it back when the company is making massive profits.

Soldato
If the Government hands over £200 million to Thomas Cook they will still go bust and the Government will then have to pay out £600 million to bring people back from around the world.

Thomas Cook is doomed whatever happens - the Government should not be baling it out, it isn't a bank!

But if they do go bust won't the government have to bring the people back anyway? Either way the government will be bailing them out.

Soldato
Given that most of us have to have paid the full balance 6-8 weeks before the holiday, people like TC making hotels wait for 60-90 days AFTER the holiday is just taking the wee. I know its good business to manage your cash flow and TC (had) a strong negotiating position, but the Hotels have only themselves to blame for accepting such awful terms. They could have factored the debt off instead of screwing new customers over.

seems something every big player in the travel market does,

i own an airport transfer/taxi company and we get hit exactly the same choice is accept it or dont get any work from the big players.

we have a number of accounts where we dont see payment for 60-90 days and one on 120 days needless to say all big companies all making huge annual profits, but it does seem to be mainly UK companies that pull crap like this, and even then not one manages to pay on the due date.

we work with a number of partners from all over the world

large italian tour operator, 14 days payment period paid no more than a couple of days over , german operator 14 days paid on the dot and typically germanic at the same time . American operator invoiced weekly - paid within 48 hours. Russian operator invoiced monthly always paid within a fortnight of invoice date.

needless to say you can imagine who we prioritise our availability for in peak times, as it helps out cash flow too

Soldato
The brand will survive, and will be bought out of administration, probably by TUI or overseas investors.

I feel sorry for people who will now need to try and recover the cost of holidays that they have purchased, or have their plans disrupted if they're currently travelling, but if you purchased a holiday or flight from Thomas Cook in the past 6 months then you need your head examined.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I've always wondered how travel agencies such as Thomas Cook etc are still in business? I've traveled a lot and not once have I used a travel agent - what is the point when I can do it all myself for cheaper? You are basically paying someone to book flights and a hotel for you, where's the fun in that? Researching yourself, reading forums, reviews, checking prices, comparing is too much fun to let someone else do it.

Soldato
Not Thomas Cook specifically but having used Expedia last time I'd be very reluctant to ever book another package holiday.

The airline added in extras for luggage. The hotel added on extras for the room/food and the airport taxi service turned up hours late.

All that happens when you book a package holiday these days is the individual companies working for package company are squeezed so hard they gouge the costumer for every extra possible. What you end to paying is basically a lottery.

Far better just to book it yourself with the airline/hotel/ etc separately. The days of package holidays are finished as far as I can see. It's so easy to do it yourself online now that their role is unnecessary. I suspect Thomas Cook won't be the last casualty of this. Expedia deserve to be next!

I've always wondered how travel agencies such as Thomas Cook etc are still in business? I've traveled a lot and not once have I used a travel agent - what is the point when I can do it all myself for cheaper?

This +1

Soldato
That’s it, planes being impounded on landing at Manchester due to unpaid fees and an internal email to managers leaked, letting crew know that the cost of transport home and hotels will be sorted.

Can’t seem to post them here but all visible on the Thomas Cook thread over on PPRUNE. :(

Man of Honour
My sister is in Cyprus set to fly back with TC, fun. Haven't heard if they've had any trouble with the rest of the holiday that was done through TC.

EDIT: Looks like the government are going to cover any accommodation, etc. costs if outstanding.

I can't seem to find that on their forums. Direct link?

It is on the BBC now. All TC operations, etc. are being wound down with immediate effect.

Man of Honour
My mother worked for them for nearly 15 years until last month when she was made redundant. She was one of the lucky ones.

I feel unbelievably sorry for everyone involved in the fallout especially some of her colleagues who were near retirement and have lost everything.

Some high up folk made shocking decisions over a number of years. There should be a criminal investigation.

InQ

InQ

Associate
Booked flights with TC in April for August next year to Florida. Paid on CC so hopefully get my £4200 back....... it may now scupper the holiday as flights were a decent price and don’t really want to pay more (can get a refund for Universal accommodation from Expedia).
Wonder how long a section 75 will take?

Soldato
Booked flights with TC in April for August next year to Florida. Paid on CC so hopefully get my £4200 back....... it may now scupper the holiday as flights were a decent price and don’t really want to pay more (can get a refund for Universal accommodation from Expedia).
Wonder how long a section 75 will take?

You are probably waited for so long for £4200 refunded from Credit Card, cos one of my friend been waited for 27 months for their refunded when Monarch went bust in 2017.

Soldato
You are probably waited for so long for £4200 refunded from Credit Card, cos one of my friend been waited for 27 months for their refunded when Monarch went bust in 2017.
You sure that's from a credit card any refunds I have had have been very fast. They then do the chasing to get the actual money back. That's the whole point of a credit card.

Soldato
They went bust at 2 am this morning yet were still selling package holidays at midnight as a travel correspondent bought one to test this out, how does that work the?
Not for the first time companies on the brink of going bust are still flogging their wares, still taking peoples money.

Back
Top Bottom