THREAD BUMP: New build garden - seriously where do I start!?

Associate
This is what I found today when I visited this new build I'm buying.

The garden is in Northern England, is north-east facing towards the back fence with a side part (around to the right of the house) which extends 2-3m from the edge of the house and is south-east facing.

The builder will sell the house with just a skim of top soil. The only fences are are on external boundaries only - e.g., to the left of the picture is a neighbour boundary without a fence currently.

The ground slopes gradually away from the house, the drainage doesn't look good but not sure if that's just because there is no grass there.

I'm a complete gardening novice, where do I even start? The builder said they would rotavate it for me but not sure if that's going to be enough!

Any ideas welcome!
images%2Ft2_c5tw7%2Fqnj2c1s1hir01

9pXVGea.jpg
dWdBD

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I really appreciate all the replies sorry I’m at work so I can’t be more specific but I’ll try and keep the thread going to show what I do with it.

I queried why we don’t get grass and the sales people said they used to do that but they found everything would just die and people complained so in a way I’m glad I get to DIY it. Not saying I’ll succeed but I’ll have some fun along the way!

They have made a front garden but I think that’s looking a bit fragile so once I learn how to prepare the ground I might dig it up and do the same before replanting the turf, shrubs and tree that are there. Would be a shame to see a young tree die!

Associate
OP
I've been thinking about the garden for the past 6 weeks and this is version 3 of a design I've been tweaking. Thought I'd share to get some feedback

oUV7VJY.jpg

Associate
OP
My thinking with the pond and bog garden is because the garden backs onto some very large established trees that are home to many birds and other animals. When you walk out into the garden, or indeed when it's quiet in the house, all I hear all day long is bird song. That combined with a grandparent who used to live in Shetland and who is a bird lover recommended a pond and bog garden as being a wildlife sanctuary. A neighbour just cut down a whole bunch of trees behind their back fence in making their garden, so I feel like going all out to create a nice place for the wildlife.

I agree that aesthetically climbers are attractive but I also worry about potential damage to the building. Might have to think about that though because the house is a little ugly to look at from the back! Maybe once I have a patio garden in place with some lighting it will be nicer.

This is the damage my neighbour did behind their fence 6SmrFa6.jpg

These are the grand old trees behind my fence
R9qlSGT.jpg

Associate
OP
Thought I would update this with what I've done so far, it's been just over a year since I moved in
I've been thinking about the garden for the past 6 weeks and this is version 3 of a design I've been tweaking. Thought I'd share to get some feedback

oUV7VJY.jpg

Just thought I would come back now that it's been slightly over a year to look at this thread. See what I had planned ^ :D and see what I've done.

In some ways it's not a million miles from the plan I posted!

Last summer I discovered hedgehogs in the garden! And I'm please to say all 3 survived the winter!
eaPBGXG.jpg

I had the patio's done and a new side gate added for bin storage. I made a composter. I put the hedgehog houses by the side fence as it's shady most of the day.
Je39NOm.jpg

I decided in the side garden I would plant climbing roses to make the wall pretty
lg2ftGK.jpg

The roses have started to bloom now
wwjhgGv.jpg

The patio at the back of the house has a bed built in, I planted bulbs, herbs and some heather so far. Now a lot of weeds are growing!
fEHeTLT.jpg

I put the greenhouse in the corner and the pond in the middle
6Xki2eT.jpg

Today I just completed the bog garden, just need to plant it now
UTDuYTI.jpg

I haven't gone for any turf, I'm enjoying the weeds currently!
STk1z3F.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Should be working now, although there are lots of extra tags which I can't see when I edit. Sorry don't know how to create preview images that are smaller!

Back
Top Bottom