• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
Pre-orders open Now! £1,639.99 For the top of the line 32 Core Version

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-tr4-processor-retail-cp-3al-am.html

CP3ALAM_189964_800x800.jpg

IMG_7712_575px.JPG

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12909/amd-computex-2018-press-event-a-live-blog-10am-taiwan-2am-utc

Threadripper 2*** is going to be in a 24 and 32 core variant. It is going to run at 250w and drop into the existing socket. They have just turned on the 2 dummy cores.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

And they are running it now, on air, on the stock wraith cooler.

Anandtech are reporting 3.0Ghz stock and probably a 3.4Ghz boost. They are concerned that at 250w current boards are going to struggle to overclock, they will probably work fine but not have quite enough headroom - and there will be new boards coming to compensate this.

Also they are now claiming full 3200 DDR4 support. Still 4 channel Ram, and it is going to be really interesting to see how the IF handles that.

We are going to see 7nm Vega this year - but not a consumer version, but it looks like Q1 2019 for desktop GPU's. They are quoting 2 times the density and a 35% performance boost... what that means in reality I have no idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yup, also intersting canibalising from the GPU slide, they are seeing twice the density and a 35% performance boost from 14nm to 7nm. That could translate to Ryzen 2 being 35% faster than the original Ryzen and leave plenty of space for a 6 or even 8 core CCX.

Soldato
OP
I know I watched Jayz do a month long threadripper test for productivity vs Intel - I think it was the 7980 and in real world tests the threadripper while great was slightly slower than the 7980 under the same cooling. However with close to double the power of the 1950x this new top end chip is going to take the HEDT productivity crown by a significant margin.

AMD arguing that this is a standard Air cooler is almost as funny as Intel's water cooling - but on the flip side if you have a case big enough this will actually work is available now for the Q3 launch. I have no clue but I think it is going to have to be a pretty decent AIO to beat this as an air cooler - or we are in custom loop territory.

wraith-ripper-hsf-645x433.png

Soldato
OP
I have not seen any indications on price yet so guess work based purely on current chip costs...

Epyc 7551 Launched at $3200 USD. I can't see the 32 Core Threadripper being that high as it is not a server part - but with the 1950X at $999 the 32 Core part launching at $1899 and the 24 core at $1399 seems very possible. If you add that into the HEDT price comparison list that would line up the 32 core part $100 lower than the 7980XE list price for significantly higher productivity performance and the 24 Core part alongside the 7940X just to rub it in.

The current comparable Xeon sitting at $10,000 then puts Intel in a far harder spot than AMD.

Does anyone have any rumors that can let us know if that is in the right ballpark?

Soldato
OP
An affordable* 32 core desktop chip in 2018. Two years ago I wouldn't have thought 16 core chip possible.

I know and a doubling in HEDT processor power in 12 months... Moore's law eat your heart out.

-Edit-

Also Epyc 2 is confirmed as dropping into the SP3 socket on 7nm in 2019 with a 50% higher core count, lower power and higher speed, followed by a 64 Core /128 Thread Epyc probably a little after that.

That means that there is no reason that next year we couldn't have Threadripper 2 a 48 Core/96 Thread 7nm product dropping into todays socket. That is one heck of an upgrade path... theoretically it leads to a 64 Core Threadripper in the future on this chipset as well - but I don't know if that will happen.

It also means that for the rest of us mortals we will probably see 12 and 16 Core Ryzen chips in the not too distant future, and they will probably sit in the current socket as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Interesting... a quick google for a 1950x at 4.1ghz scores 3413 (happy for someone here to corroborate or add some accuracy) points so scoring 6351 on the 32 core with the 4 modules instead of 2 is scaling very well. (Only a 7% drop in multicore IPC for doubling the number of CCX's)

Of course if you are going to put that 28 core intel monster under a phase change and use it at 5.0ghz it will take the ultimate crown. Intel will have to be talking very fast to make that a story people will buy into though.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Matt - so on the engineering sample leaks we are seeing what an 8% overhead switching to a 4 ccx layout routing through 4 DDR channels. That is seriously special sauce.

Soldato
OP
These are going to be real monster rigs - have they also committed to 7nm threadripper dropping into the TR4 socket?

With the core counts these things are climbing to is going to make jobs that were overnight roadblocks into a couple of hour delay or even software that could be carrying out significant heavy lifting around encoding/rendering/compiling behind the scenes while you edit/design/code to make things happen almost in real time.

Back
Top Bottom