• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
Pre-orders open Now! £1,639.99 For the top of the line 32 Core Version

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-tr4-processor-retail-cp-3al-am.html

CP3ALAM_189964_800x800.jpg

IMG_7712_575px.JPG

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12909/amd-computex-2018-press-event-a-live-blog-10am-taiwan-2am-utc

Threadripper 2*** is going to be in a 24 and 32 core variant. It is going to run at 250w and drop into the existing socket. They have just turned on the 2 dummy cores.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

And they are running it now, on air, on the stock wraith cooler.

Anandtech are reporting 3.0Ghz stock and probably a 3.4Ghz boost. They are concerned that at 250w current boards are going to struggle to overclock, they will probably work fine but not have quite enough headroom - and there will be new boards coming to compensate this.

Also they are now claiming full 3200 DDR4 support. Still 4 channel Ram, and it is going to be really interesting to see how the IF handles that.

We are going to see 7nm Vega this year - but not a consumer version, but it looks like Q1 2019 for desktop GPU's. They are quoting 2 times the density and a 35% performance boost... what that means in reality I have no idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why mobo makers have been in R&D phase for the x399 boards for a while and Aorus and MSI displaying theirs at Computex, specially since it doesn't need a Chipset it flies under the radar easier.
Looks like they will pretty much double the phase count .
Current flagship x399 should handle 24 core version.

Soldato
OP
Yup, also intersting canibalising from the GPU slide, they are seeing twice the density and a 35% performance boost from 14nm to 7nm. That could translate to Ryzen 2 being 35% faster than the original Ryzen and leave plenty of space for a 6 or even 8 core CCX.

Soldato
Yup, also intersting canibalising from the GPU slide, they are seeing twice the density and a 35% performance boost from 14nm to 7nm. That could translate to Ryzen 2 being 35% faster than the original Ryzen and leave plenty of space for a 6 or even 8 core CCX.

Let's hope software developers are quicker off the mark than they were for X64!

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Associate

Its scary how fast things are progressing with a little competition in the market. 18 months ago and having more than 8 cores was almost unthinkable

Associate
**** the bed... I mean I thought it could happen with the dummy dies on the original TR, but we've got here quickly. How are current X399 boards when it comes to power delivery for the new 250W parts?

Soldato
Professionals are going to love this, it's insane the high end market went from 20 threads to 64 in just over a couple of years. Really shows how stale it was back when AMD had nothing to compete with Intel.

Soldato
Skipping Zen+ and going full Zen2 @ 7nm

Love what competition does for a market. This is why we should be backing AMD in the GPU area to help them put pressure on Nvidia. Pressure and competition makes for better products for customers.

Soldato
**** the bed... I mean I thought it could happen with the dummy dies on the original TR, but we've got here quickly. How are current X399 boards when it comes to power delivery for the new 250W parts?

aorus publicly gone with X399 Aorus Xtreme allowing Steve at gamernexus to highlight IRs - with some he hasnt heard of and MSI showing off their 19 phase prototpe. Believe Aorus 7 and ROG Zenith are 8 True phase count - guessing to be doubled (mind gone blank) and looks like Aorus/MSI now are EATX format to handle the cooling and VRMs

Permabanned
Love what competition does for a market. This is why we should be backing AMD in the GPU area to help them put pressure on Nvidia. Pressure and competition makes for better products for customers.

Yes, this a cause of tremendous value. We need to recommend more and advise more.
Remember how undervalued AMD is, their stock price was only $1.70 back in September 2015 (1.72 all time low on Sep 1, 2015 :( ). Now, it is approaching $15.
Remember, that 1.7 was at a time with no problems with the Radeon products!

Associate
if only it could do 4ghz or above.seems like a great chip.low ghz though.

3.4Ghz all core is slow but it is a lot of cores, of course TR is nothiing but Ryzen dies, so you know what it each die is capable of if you can contain teh power and heat, so it will be interesting to see what Precision boost does here.

I was considering adding some cores, this is too much for me, I was looking at 12 core as my step up.

Permabanned
3.4Ghz all core is slow but it is a lot of cores, of course TR is nothiing but Ryzen dies, so you know what it each die is capable of if you can contain teh power and heat, so it will be interesting to see what Precision boost does here.

I was considering adding some cores, this is too much for me, I was looking at 12 core as my step up.

In order to stay in the TDP, they have to use 4 x 65W Ryzen 7 2700 specs.

Back
Top Bottom