Time for an upgrade please help spec a bundle

Soldato
Windows Update assistant is great. Find some reason when doing upgrades from the start. Have to install, update, then delete. Then install assistant again to get latest version... Odd

Windows 10 was build long time before ryzen , which is were issues come in till it's updated

Associate
intel will be faster at 1080p , though 8600k isnt to much of a step up over i7 4***k , specially if its clocked to 4.7ghz .
if you are grabbing a gtx 1080 on 144hz screen, you can upscale games via ingame setting of nvidia geforce experience to increase load on GPU whilst making images a little prettier .

also, 9th gen 9700k 8/8 which looks pointless against 8700k 6/12 and i9 9900k 8/16 cores is coming out on true z390 coffeelake boards.

why i didn't really quote intel to be honest, its a good bundle, but at the price your getting half the ram and no SSD and a cooler which would be LOUD! via pump and fan

if your sticking with rx 480, gap between ryzen and intel wouldn't be as much due to it being less powerful

personally, rather get B360/I7 8700 non K and 16gb ram over 8600k :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £553.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

maybe I hit a bit of a lottery, but my own 8700 non-K regularly hits 4.5, even 4.6ghz turbo on an Asus z730 board according to HWmonitor and other similar software, very little knowledge and experience with overclocking settings and even with a non-K chip it seems to work amazingly, even with my own derp moment when i got a non K chip and a z370 board to begin with, but so far a very happy marriage.

Soldato
maybe I hit a bit of a lottery, but my own 8700 non-K regularly hits 4.5, even 4.6ghz turbo on an Asus z730 board according to HWmonitor and other similar software, very little knowledge and experience with overclocking settings and even with a non-K chip it seems to work amazingly, even with my own derp moment when i got a non K chip and a z370 board to begin with, but so far a very happy marriage.

boost speed is 4.6ghz

4,600 MHz (1 core),
4,500 MHz (2 cores),
4,400 MHz (3 cores),
4,300 MHz (4 cores),
4,300 MHz (5 cores),
4,300 MHz (6 cores)

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8700

can keep it cool, then single core or dual core and peak a little , Z board can pump up bus frequency 1-3hz

Associate
boost speed is 4.6ghz

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8700

can keep it cool, then single core or dual core and peak a little , Z board can pump up bus frequency 1-3hz
Thanks for that, my own inexperience showing again, odd I seem to be getting a high clock across all 6 cores at the same time without hitting too high a temp either, aside from a prime95 test I never get above low 70s in games after a few hours. Must just be the core management doing some gymnastics while running.

Seems a pretty under-rated chip even without the OC ability though, not cheap I know compared to Ryzen alternatives but my own experience with it is very good in terms of performance.

Soldato
Thanks for that, my own inexperience showing again, odd I seem to be getting a high clock across all 6 cores at the same time without hitting too high a temp either, aside from a prime95 test I never get above low 70s in games after a few hours. Must just be the core management doing some gymnastics while running.

Seems a pretty under-rated chip even without the OC ability though, not cheap I know compared to Ryzen alternatives but my own experience with it is very good in terms of performance.

is MCE on? Multi Core Enhancement - might be forcing all cores to max speed - being 4.6ghz if you've got a good CPU

Associate
is MCE on? Multi Core Enhancement - might be forcing all cores to max speed - being 4.6ghz if you've got a good CPU
no, MCE is off, I have had it on in the past though and the behaviour looks pretty similar when under load, but given I rarely even need all 6 cores at full whack I decided to turn it off for now.

Associate
does pump a lot of volts mind! have to see if you bus speed is stable at 102hz from 100hz ;)

Vcore reading on HWmonitor says it has maxed out at 1.392V, but I know software voltage meters are notoriously inaccurate, the system has always been absolutely rock solid though, only the XMP profile for my 3000mhz memory and the Aorus 1060 6gb with the factory "OC" overclock applied.

Associate
yeah I know, I really have no clue on this sort of stuff :D definitely looking at getting into it in more depth in the future though, looking back on my build I made a few strange decisions when building it, but still wouldn't change it as I learned far more than I have from watching a hundred videos from various techtubers.

Associate
OP
Id love to learn a lot more as well like you say i have gained a wealth of knowledge from vids and on here as there are some knowledgeable people on here.
Even down to this issue i had and the help of @orbitalwalsh getting around simple tasks that i spent hours googling.

Associate
OP
Hey guys just a quick one i have had nothing but trouble with this.
RMA'd it all but aparently its fine however they never asked for the ram back to test, their conclusion was "it must be the ram"
I purchased a new pair of ram then returning the origional ram back for a refund.
Tried the ram and im getting the same crap constant freezing crashing.

So i though id look at the ram compatibliity on teamgroup and gigaybts site.
The ram i selecte di nthe bundle was:
I seleceted the Team Group Dark Pro " Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 ram
but that ram is not supported according to gigabyte and team groups's website?

Before i tear ocu down am i being an idiot here?

Associate
OP
F23f
Ram yes 3200
Just re installed win 10 and now trying to get the win 10 latest build update in but its taking around 3 hours so far with all sorts of freezing and bcod's i know from last time i need to get the update in then system goes a tad more stable.
oh the fun haha.

Soldato
F23f
Ram yes 3200
Just re installed win 10 and now trying to get the win 10 latest build update in but its taking around 3 hours so far with all sorts of freezing and bcod's i know from last time i need to get the update in then system goes a tad more stable.
oh the fun haha.

Ah yes, from build 1603 of something like that , media creation tool handle for allow you to create latest build boot up .

Make sure everything is default in bios for installing /updating windows. Helps a little .

Associate
OP
using the update assistant tool i downlaoded from microsoft, think thats what i used lastime.
Or the only way i know of doing it anyway.
just cant believe the crud if had with this, never had these issues before.
As i type this pc crashes again im getting 1% further after each crash lol now on 79% might take several more hours yet.
Didn't want to play assasins creed anyway.

Soldato
using the update assistant tool i downlaoded from microsoft, think thats what i used lastime.
Or the only way i know of doing it anyway.
just cant believe the crud if had with this, never had these issues before.
As i type this pc crashes again im getting 1% further after each crash lol now on 79% might take several more hours yet.
Didn't want to play assasins creed anyway.

Yeah, it installs the Build that the PC is running on performing the download. Pain in the backside this .

Back
Top Bottom