Time.Sync.

Soldato
OP
The whole block.

This is Asus' fault. They make about 12 variants of the same card but they have different components. It's even more their fault because in pics on the sites the cards are for sale on they hide the analogue components.

This is a digital 2080 reference board.

65Le5te.jpg

And this is a Dual Advanced Evo board. Note the caps are analogue.

Kh3iICu.jpg

Unfortunately there is no way to get it to fit. Not unless I used 6mm or so shims which would look awful and probably burn the card out. I did some more research and thankfully there is a block designed solely for this card.

cjI20tl.jpg

You can see how EK did it in this pic.

Hs6D9T7.jpg

Looking on the bright side OCUK had it for £125 with free DPD. This is a lot of money, but I guess it was better than having a GPU I have voided the warranty on and a block that totals £450 that I have absolutely no use for. I already have a 2070 Super in my AFK rig at my mother's here

Pcwp5DH.jpg

So why would I swap that out for a slower card? and at home I am not using a GPU on air. That EK block is very expensive. Like, touching £200 with shipping on EK. OCUK have it on sale, thank god.

So I'm £80 plus shipping in the hole, depending on whether I can be arsed to pack it all up and send it back. It's absolutely tipping with rain right now, and TBH I've had a lot of personal issues lately that just make me think "balls to it".

I already ordered these because I wasn't a huge fan of the Barrow badge.

lxe20eV.jpg

Which should cover up the EK badge and look pretty nice.

Looking at the performance figures I won't lose any, and will gain all of the new features. I was surprised how close it was to the 2070 Super, and that is with a 1900mhz limit on the 2070 non super.

Soldato
FFS Asus

If you got the Barrow block from that Aliwhatsitcalled place then most of the sellers there do free returns no questions, you just have to take it to a drop off point. It's because of this free returns thing I'm taking a punt on a Bykski block for my Strix GTX 950 (don't ask) which is horrendously inconsistent with its naming and pictures it might just fit if I chop out some of the acrylic top plate.

Soldato
OP
I'm loving how this latest update seems to have modernised the look massively.

I didn't want the clear EK block for the XP tbh. I wanted a black one, but blocks for them when I bought it were really scarce. All I knew was it looked way better than the AC block on there which was partial cover and copper (ugh). It really looked bad. I've always preferred the muted "Mike Tyson" look of black stuff.

I'll sort the RGB soon. I didn't post about the nightmare it caused because I've been pushed for time, but here goes.

OK so I got home. First thing I did was put the perishable food in the fridge and freezer, then dropped it all and drained the rig lol. As you do, when you have been waiting a week to do something.

Immediately I had issues. Like, signal kept dropping to the monitor. I thought "Oh no, the VRAM is that bad stuff" but it didn't make sense as when it did run it ran perfectly. So then I thought I had borked the card :(

I recall having issues very similar to this when upgrading. I went through three ribbons (if you are a reader you'll remember me bleating about it). Any way now I am having the same issues with that ribbon and a GPU that requires one power connector. Not good.

Eventually after about four hours of fighting it just died, and a message appeared on the screen. "Please insert the power cable for your graphics card". I felt sick. I even heaved a couple of times, thinking I had stuffed the card up when putting on the new block.

I walked away and sat gutted for about 30 mins. Then I got another wave of "let's try and fix this". PCs, roller coasters...... So I came back and obviously the 8 pin braid was in perfect. Went round the back to where the extensions clip into the main runs from the PSU. It all looked fine, and was still cable tied in place with three ties. So I cut them and as soon as that happened the two ground pins for the single 8 pin immediately fell out. "No, it can't be?" and sure enough it was.

This has been an issue since I modded the PC in the first place. I would imagine the only reason I ever got away with it was because I was using the powerlink, which does carry grounds. However, it doesn't carry them back to the PSU hence the instability.

And now it is stable. Better than it's ever been. So I've been gaming tons.

The RGB does work, but the converter I made had pins that were a little fat and thus snapped when I tried to push them in. So I've tucked it under the GPU for now and will address that when I get my next wave of energy. I really like the way the light reflects off of that carrier piece of stainless steel though.

Soldato
Relatives returned from Milan do my office quarantined me at home :o

A week later they shut the entire office so as of today I'm just a trend leader :D
I was literally about to return to work after a fortnight's leave and now I'm isolated for a week. Trouble is I've actually finished my PCBs now and can't make the cables up because I have silicone coated wire instead of PVC and it just rips with the crimps, so with motivation at an all-time high for once, I don't have anything to do! Back to Fusion 360 modelling my 2nd project before the 1st is even finished I guess :(

Andy, sounds like we switched luck for a moment because my PCBs worked first time :D

Said it before, I'll say it again, your build is fit.

Soldato
OP
I'm currently planning another one.

Well, tentatively planning another one based on the fact I may win the lottery soon (and I don't even play).

TBH I can't think of much else to do. I can't order any food and my autism is stopping me going out (because I would explode if I saw the sort of behaviour at my supermarkets) so I am going to have to bail to mum's or starve. I don't get why people are acting like this. There are over 6 million ways to die, and a virus with a 3% mortality rate is about the same odds as falling over and banging your head. Idiots. Like food and toilet paper are going to help when your lungs are full of crap. The last thing people WITH it would want to do is eat.

Oh well.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm about out of that tbh. The rig was very stable, so I am going to leave it there. Possibly hook up the RGB on the GPU block then use it to fold for COVID.

Lesson learned, never make a mod so complicated unless you intend to leave it well alone after. Going back is confusing and troubleshooting problems with something with so much crap in it is a real headache. The USB system still isn't working properly either, and AquaComputer blame it on AMD.

Soldato
Lesson learned, never make a mod so complicated unless you intend to leave it well alone after.
Despite Asteria II not being finished yet, I'm working on a follow-up that's even more of a pain. Just when I was happy with the choices and modelled everything up, I realised there's no way in hell I could get to any 1 component without literally dismantling the entire build, and even some assembly would be possible :( so lots of reworking to do, and abandoning the distro plate as well (which would've looked immense in such a tiny build).

Leave Time Sync alone for a while dude, come back and tweak the niggles later. Looking boss as she is.

Soldato
OP
Despite Asteria II not being finished yet, I'm working on a follow-up that's even more of a pain. Just when I was happy with the choices and modelled everything up, I realised there's no way in hell I could get to any 1 component without literally dismantling the entire build, and even some assembly would be possible :( so lots of reworking to do, and abandoning the distro plate as well (which would've looked immense in such a tiny build).

Leave Time Sync alone for a while dude, come back and tweak the niggles later. Looking boss as she is.

Yeah I'm going to just use it as a server, file server ETC.

Soldato
OP
Well I decided that basically I was going to use this rig for gaming in the bedroom. Right now I have nothing in there, and where I live sucks in winter. I am about 80ft from the sea, and believe me it's very cold and windy down here.

I was going to put one of my consoles in there, but I would rather have a gaming PC. Right now it is sat in my kitchen waiting for the data to come off.

zM2uVgQ.jpg

I gave it a good clean, then put the side panel on (just to keep the dust out for now). Once the data is off it would be really sad to see it just sitting there though, as it has a lot of SSDs and so on in it. Like, about 7. I can't fit any more in my new PC and I don't want to sell any of it.

Only one issue. My bedroom TV is 4k. I know that the 2070 isn't going to be enough. Maybe in a few things, but in the rest it would struggle. So, today I bought one of these for £475.

TySFzOI.jpg

Now I swear I looked up the model number and everything, yet for some reason all I got was rev 2, which has a stock 2080Ti PCB.

4Hmc4ly.jpg

And I thought cool, I have a block for that sitting doing nothing.

c3DHYeI.jpg

UmIzY9B.jpg

So I thought I was all set. Only I wasn't. Someone quickly noticed (I didn't I was off my face on Diazepam lol) that the power connectors were in the end. Oh FFS no, not another gargantuan **** up on 20 series PCBs? Yup.

It turns out that Zotac released two models of this card. And, as luck would have it my block wouldn't fit the one I got (sound familiar?). So I wanted to find a block that would actually fit it.

TdaXHNM.jpg

And then I thought "WTF that is the same block with some more plastic machined off !" and it was. I checked the Quadro RTX 8000 and 6000 boards and the memory, phases and caps are laid out exactly the same. So basically my block will fit, I just have to take a chunk out of it with a Dremel, or send it to Cenedd and let him machine it or something.

I really hope that with the 3000 this ball ache ends for you guys. It really is a complete bleedin' nightmare. Thankfully this time I am literally a chunk of plastic from it fitting, not an entirely different PCB with different components all over it.

Soldato
OP
Oh the fun I've had.

59hG7UG.jpg

vMw5vuc.jpg

KPGZ86f.jpg

What a dead 2080Ti looks like. Thankfully the return was painless and I got a refund today, so I have sourced another.

muvULNk.jpg

Not a sight I enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom