Time to buy VR?

Associate
OP
Oh well the Index is out of stock, and this really needs to be delivered by Santa...now do I go Rift S and be happy with it...remembering Ive never tried a INDEX so wont know what im missing

Soldato
Well, it's cheaper...

You can buy a Rift S and a Quest, and have over £100 left over to spend on games for the price of the Index.:eek:

Sort of puts it into perspective at how expensive it is. (Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing headset and controllers, it's just you'll pay plenty for it.)

Soldato
Oh well the Index is out of stock, and this really needs to be delivered by Santa...now do I go Rift S and be happy with it...remembering Ive never tried a INDEX so wont know what im missing

You said you tried the Rift Civ1 and didn't like it. It sounds like VR is not for you just yet. The picture quality has improved a lot in the Rift S and the Valve Index but it's still not close to been as good as quality as you get on a monitor. So if you are expecting that, then you are going to be disappointed.

But, if you really want go ahead and get a headset to give it another go, then I would recommend the Rift S over the Index. Simply because the Rift S is cheaper and it offers 90% of the experience that the Valve Index does.

Associate
OP
Cheers Melmac, nearly bought the rift S this afternoon, but I had a quick look on flee bay for a 2nd hand index...none to be had...there was however plenty rifts's often with the statement, "selling due to upgrade to index"....

Associate
We have the Rift S at work for VR training program. Thats what made me want it for home. In the end I bought the Valve Index which is so much more expensive but the headset and controllers to me are so much better. Also the sound on the Index is far far better. What I dont like is the noise from the Index base stations but thats the price for superior tracking. I am one happy bunny at the moment and do not regret my purchase. VR is seriously the future. If you can afford it then I would go for it which ever you pick!

Soldato
We have the Rift S at work for VR training program. Thats what made me want it for home. In the end I bought the Valve Index which is so much more expensive but the headset and controllers to me are so much better. Also the sound on the Index is far far better. What I dont like is the noise from the Index base stations but thats the price for superior tracking. I am one happy bunny at the moment and do not regret my purchase. VR is seriously the future. If you can afford it then I would go for it which ever you pick!
Yeah the index is really just quite insane.

Associate
Im loving the Valve Index. I'm not posting much at the moment as i'm gobsmacked and loving the VR experience and too busy playing. Ive used the Rift S at work for training purposes on bespoke software for machine training. The Index is so much more expensive but its damned good if you can afford the upgrade. I so hope they make the controllers statandard as they really are so amazing!

Soldato
Im loving the Valve Index. I'm not posting much at the moment as i'm gobsmacked and loving the VR experience and too busy playing. Ive used the Rift S at work for training purposes on bespoke software for machine training. The Index is so much more expensive but its damned good if you can afford the upgrade. I so hope they make the controllers statandard as they really are so amazing!

Exactly.

If you can afford an index, now is the time to enter vr. I’m always blown away just putting on the controllers and seeing my fingers tracked.

Index and Quest are hard to look passed.

Associate
I saw an interesting video on youtube where they were comparing the rift s to the index and gave the example of buying a car. A ford focus and a Audi RS4 will do the same thing ie get you from point A to point B but you will have a better time driving the audi (at a much higher cost however)

it also broke down the cost.

i recall the review stating that the rift was very cheap feeling compared to the index
they also stated that the lenses on the index are clearly more expensive as not only does the index use 2 lenses (rift uses 1) the actual low latency lenses index use would bump the cost up
The headphone solution is again another contributor to the cost.

Associate
OP
Yip, all the offerings..I was going to go with 1.0 lighthouses but now all the headset and controllers are gone too...so...do you just go Rift S and save a few quid or wait?

Soldato
Seeing Boneworks and the finger tracking with the Index...I'm extremely drawn to finally dipping my toe into VR. I've had a couple of goes on headsets before (not sure of the make, but with quite poor pixelation!) and really enjoyed it.

However, I'm on a Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme Waterforce and an i7-4770k...will these cause more issues than it's worth with the Index? Or indeed with any VR headset?

Soldato
Yip, all the offerings..I was going to go with 1.0 lighthouses but now all the headset and controllers are gone too...so...do you just go Rift S and save a few quid or wait?

I'm also tempted by a Rift S as I'm already in the Oculus ecosystem with the Rift CV1 and Quest, but as I've got the Quest I can just go link to replace the CV1 once the cable is out. The image quality is better, though the tracking is obviously worse.

I wish Oculus had released a Rift Pro with inside-out tracking, CV1 style audio, adjustable IPD, wider FOV and higher resolution. I'd have happily gone for that. The Rift S a bit of a compromise.

I also don't really want to faff about with lighthouses or sensors, though my CV1 sensors are wall mounted so I could possibly reuse those mounts for lighthouses. Also I don't have a very big playspace near my PC so lighthouses are a bit overkill for what is basically a standing experience.

Still probably going for an Index though. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Definitely the time to get into VR. There are so many good games available now and with Half Life Alyx round the corner, its just going to get better. As for the headsets, my mate has a Rift S which is a great headset and technically more games available on the occulus platform, however I have the index which has 144hz and a higher resolution for both eyes and vastly better speakers and controllers but nearly 3 times the price.

Ultimately get what you can afford.

Soldato
More is better, but living within ones means comes out to 1.5 meters in either direction in my case.

Depends more on what you want to play, there's a few avoidable games that don't work so well in small spaces. Anything seated, anything allowing artificial controller turning is fine, just choose your fresh air wisely:)

Soldato
So is it the right system and time to buy in?

I think the best time to buy in would be on boxing day. There are going to be loads of amazing deals on the bay.

As many of the VR headsets are out of stock. It looks like every man and his dog is going to be waking up christmas morning and diving into VR.
The kids will be overly full of excess chocolate, and adults the same with christmas cheer. After a few rollercoaster rides and some fast shoot-em-up
games, the headsets will be put to one side as a bad idea while they wait for the nausea to subside.

this could be the Christmas that killed VR :D:D

Back
Top Bottom