Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The weather conditions out there are troublesome, even the british billionaire stated on his IG post that that day was the first in the year or something that they saw an open window for good weather. So diving to those depths isn't something that can be done at the Titanic location at will.

Soldato
Maybe read to the end of the question to see the ?, I was asking you a question, not making a statement
My point is we are in violent agreement. Carbon is not good in compression as I said in the original post. Inexperience of the team assumed with it being a good pressure vessel material it would be good in this application but failed to realise the pressure needs to be on the inside for composite systems rather than the outside as it is for a sub.

Soldato
My point is we are in violent agreement. Carbon is not good in compression as I said in the original post. Inexperience of the team assumed with it being a good pressure vessel material it would be good in this application but failed to realise the pressure needs to be on the inside for composite systems rather than the outside as it is for a sub.
Yes that's why I was asking the question, because it seems this way but I wasn't sure and was wondering if it was down to the way Carbon is atomically organised that results in it being good for expansion but bad for compression ? Or is it simply the way the carbon was wound to form the tube, as the only footage available shows it being wound round a steel cylinder but only being wound vertically and seemingly missing out any horizontal windings which I guess would make the tube stronger ?

Some more interviews with James, I wonder if he'll be tempted to do a documentary himself on the sub, would definitely watch it

Soldato
Yes that's why I was asking the question, because it seems this way but I wasn't sure and was wondering if it was down to the way Carbon is atomically organised that results in it being good for expansion but bad for compression ? Or is it simply the way the carbon was wound to form the tube, as the only footage available shows it being wound round a steel cylinder but only being wound vertically and seemingly missing out any horizontal windings which I guess would make the tube stronger ?

Some more interviews with James, I wonder if he'll be tempted to do a documentary himself on the sub, would definitely watch it
The simplest way to think of it is like a (very strong) string. Try to pull it apart or you tie it into a loop and pull it apart and you can’t. However compress it and it compresses like nothing. The only thing that was holding the pressure was the plastic matrix material so not strong at all. Metal is a better material in this application like titanium because the force to pull it apart is the same as to compress it. Composites are great for aircraft and pressure vessels, basically anything where you have pressure on the inside as it puts the fibres in tension.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
An American tourist submersible expert who took a trip with OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush on the Titan sub in April 2019 said the hull made ominous cracking sounds throughout their 12,000-foot voyage, and he warned Rush to slow down his Titanic plans.

Associate
The carbon hull construction was 5 inches thick. Wonder if they are ever likely to retrieve any of the debris to see if they can ascertain what exactly failed. The Porthole window to me seems the weakest link.

Caporegime
The carbon hull construction was 5 inches thick. Wonder if they are ever likely to retrieve any of the debris to see if they can ascertain what exactly failed. The Porthole window to me seems the weakest link.
They made a big deal about having “the largest porthole of any deep-sea submersible” offering “an unrivalled view“. Just another unconventional design feature!

Caporegime
They don't need to.

Just create a comparable copy with the same material and although it won't fail exactly the same because composites it will still fail.

Associate

I doubt it'll be possible to determine specific point of failure. Once that thing has imploded, the carbon will likely just disintegrate on the spot. I'd put bets on it behind either the carbon hull itself, or the bond between the carbon and titanium. They should never be bonded together for a use like this.

Soldato
I do believe there is large portion of carbon fibre debris from the sub after its implosion. However I doubt they will recover any pieces from it.

The end caps which are very heavy and sank on the spot hence they were found. I reckon the carbon fibre is floating in the ocean and will have been swept away by the currents. Maybe it will wash up on some shores many months in the future or be added to the floating pile of garbage in the sea.

As for ascertaining the actual failure mode we will never know unless they build a replica and test it to failure.

They will never find all the pieces of the hull to be able to do a proper investigation.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, errrr, glued on, eeek.

The ROV that found the wreckage was built in Aberdeenshire seemingly.
I think glue/epoxy/resin/bonding agent is the only way you can attach other parts to carbon fibre.

And TBF that glue will be incredibly strong. It’s just that it’s strength is finite like everything else.

Back
Top Bottom