Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
There were multiple points of failure on the vessel that could have caused the implosion.

The viewport was only certified to 4000ft was one of them.
Carbon fibre is a poor material for the expected pressures, specially if its re-used which was the case here, micro fractures in the material could lead to it shattering under stress.
Weakness in the joints and seams with the front cap and rear section.
Potential leaks in the rear section could have caused electronic failure, so they no longer had control of the vehicle.

At 12500ft were talking nearly 5500lbs per square inch so any potential weakness no matter how minor could result in catastrophic failures.

Soldato
This diagram shows a titanium cap behind the bulkhead. So is may have been possible to leak without them knowing.

Yeah the partition is inside the cap, the stuff outside of the cap, is literally outside in the water to the elements

3PQaz6U.png

You can see the Hinges on the partition just above Stocktons shoulder

eJ4yIMQ.png

The rest of this stuff is open to the elements with just the shroud fitting over, it's not sealed

gOg7S8C.png

This is what's behind the partition

7waeAXw.png

The only thing that goes from inside to outside is a hydraulic pump to drop ballast in emergency if the electronic release fails

Don
A leak at the joint at the rear cap could slowly fill the area under the flat floor and it would add substantial extra weight to the sub before it became apparent to the users inside.

Also a leak starting at shallow levels could then fail catastrophically as it sank deeper as the increasing pressure started acting on the joint face.

Soldato
OP
A leak at the joint at the rear cap could slowly fill the area under the flat floor and it would add substantial extra weight to the sub before it became apparent to the users inside.

Also a leak starting at shallow levels could then fail catastrophically as it sank deeper as the increasing pressure started acting on the joint face.

If there was a leak internally, sufficient to add a few hundred kilos to the vessel (we don't know it's buoyancy characteristics), then the air inside the vessel would start to be compressed and the vessel crew would have felt it on their ears.

I don't personally think an internal leak is feasible.

Soldato

Cleary this, if the transcript has an credibility.

Yeah the partition is inside the cap, the stuff outside of the cap, is literally outside in the water to the elements

3PQaz6U.png

You can see the Hinges on the partition just above Stocktons shoulder

eJ4yIMQ.png

The rest of this stuff is open to the elements with just the shroud fitting over, it's not sealed

gOg7S8C.png

This is what's behind the partition

7waeAXw.png

The only thing that goes from inside to outside is a hydraulic pump to drop ballast in emergency if the electronic release fails
Just gives me the shivers to look at it.

Soldato
if the too rapid decent transcript/narrative were true that would implicate individual home-base personnel on the ship in negligence, they did nothing to protest.

Soldato
the more that keeps coming out about this whole sorry affair, the more baffled i am. just how far up his own arse must Stockton Rush have been as he has to have actually believed this death trap was safe. it just makes no sense to me at all. i can sort of forgive the passengers, they were being blinded by good marketing i expect (even if 30mins of googling would have thrown up a boat load of red flags....or should that be sub load!) but Rush himself getting that thing, probably multiple times, that's just madness. he must have believed his own lies and bs. complete and utter lunatic.

Soldato
if the too rapid decent transcript/narrative were true that would implicate individual home-base personnel on the ship in negligence, they did nothing to protest.
That's a bit weird/abnormal unless it had descended quickly before, or they didn't notice and do the maths themselves.

Caporegime
Just realised one other piece of evidence. In the video showing debris being brought ashore there were at least two large hull sections reasonably intact. One commentator said they appeared to be from the rear area. But we didn't see any of the hull from the passenger compartment. This tallies with the theory that the rear section had leaked at a much higher altitude and therefore wasn't subject to the same pressure when further down (because it no longer had air inside).

The rear section wasn't pressurised.

Don
If there was a leak internally, sufficient to add a few hundred kilos to the vessel (we don't know it's buoyancy characteristics), then the air inside the vessel would start to be compressed and the vessel crew would have felt it on their ears.

I don't personally think an internal leak is feasible.
Even if it was only 10% of the volume, the pressure increase wouldn't have been that much (less than difference between being on a plane compared to sea level) so it wouldn't have been necessarily sufficient for people to have their ears pop if at all. I can't be bothered working out the volume of the vessel, but it's about 4m long and at least 1m wide, so you could be talking about adding 1/4 ton of water to the bottom of it. I don't believe they were dropping 1/4 ton of weights to bring it back to the surface!

Edit: Seemingly, they weren't even using proper torque wrenches to tighten the bolts on the door flange.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if it was only 10% of the volume, the pressure increase wouldn't have been that much (less than difference between being on a plane compared to sea level) so it wouldn't have been necessarily sufficient for people to have their ears pop if at all. I can't be bothered working out the volume of the vessel, but it's about 4m long and at least 1m wide, so you could be talking about adding 1/4 ton of water to the bottom of it. I don't believe they were dropping 1/4 ton of weights to bring it back to the surface!
If they took on enough water they'd never be able to ascend?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom