Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Associate
Both fair points and I concur that the whole operation does look like a mucky mouse show.

You're on the wrong website if that's what you're watching...

YES!! That was it! Thanks. :) I need to try and find those old documentaries. I really do wish he took just one small artefact from the site though, just to stop all the removals since. :( (I completely understand why he didn't though.)

Plenty has been recovered from the site over the years - it's all on display at the Titanic Exhibition along with a massive piece of the hull. The first time they tried to lift it it was dropped backdown again all the way to the bottom...

that has nothing to do with it really and just comes across as jealousy. by that yardstick most people in the UK are relatively loaded and could bail out all those people in shanty towns if they sold XYZ or didn't go on holiday.

Or jut give it all to the government and let them decide what everyone should have.

Hang on...

Surely everything you know or want to know about this craft is irrelevant. If its not coming back up, then it's either destroyed or broken. Which leaves only one option. Try to recover it? Is that being done? If it's not feasible from that depth then the answer to what's gona happen to them is obvious.

Based on the book by Clive Cussler, and released 5 years before the wreck was actually discovered.

Edit: you meant the submersible, my bad.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
discussing the $30 controller is pointless if there's no electricity or even a sub to control
It's an indication of how they built the rest of the systems even if the controller wasn't the cause of the failure. It screams to me that they penny pinched and put in the bare minimum systems needed to get it moving. I could be wrong of course and am just guessing. But there could be many design flaws based on them grabbing a cheap controller, presumably modding it a bit and saying "That'll do".

I keep wondering about a software failure. Apparently there was only one button inside, apart from the controller. So how do they reboot the system if it crashes?

I also read somewhere that the submersible was damaged slightly on the last dive, and that this dive was postponed while repairs were made. So another question that jumps to mind is whether the repairs were completed to a high enough standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
But for some reason nobody noticed that they had lost contact for hours afterwards :(
The dive craft’s command ship lost contact with the submersible and its occupants less than two hours after launch, after which it informed the US Coast Guard.
It's been missing since Sunday, they have about 40 hours of oxygen left if it wasn't a structural issue, it's interesting with so much details about the sub, there's nothing mentioned about backup/emergency systems so if they lost power they're ****** unless the little ROV's searching can attach a line to the sub to hoist it up, they can't play music for the toilet and I'm not even sure the toilet works as it looks like a vacuum toilet like they use on the space station, without mentioning, they have no food, probably little water either to be stuck for the 96 hours of oxygen they have

Soldato
I'm surprised this guy hasn't offered to help

GMzQeeh.jpg

Soldato
Just goes to show how rich families never really love each other. Bet the kid is just thinking about his inheritance and what tiktoks he can do with it.

More than likely all these billionaires that got turned into sea mush made all their money exploiting people anyway. Everything ends up coming full circle.

I mean how stupid can people really be. Even Spaceflight isn't as hardcore as going down to the deepest parts of the ocean.
Don't be a heartless ****.

Caporegime
Just goes to show how rich families never really love each other. Bet the kid is just thinking about his inheritance and what tiktoks he can do with it.

More than likely all these billionaires that got turned into sea mush made all their money exploiting people anyway. Everything ends up coming full circle.

I mean how stupid can people really be. Even Spaceflight isn't as hardcore as going down to the deepest parts of the ocean.

I dunno man. I've known a couple of billionaires and they were all very family oriented. When you can buy literally anything you want, you focus more on the things you can't buy, and family ranks pretty high for them. The ones I've met anyway.

Caporegime
It's an indication of how they built the rest of the systems even if the controller wasn't the cause of the failure. It screams to me that they penny pinched and put in the bare minimum systems needed to get it moving. I could be wrong of course and am just guessing. But there could be many design flaws based on them grabbing a cheap controller, presumably modding it a bit and saying "That'll do".

I keep wondering about a software failure. Apparently there was only one button inside, apart from the controller. So how do they reboot the system if it crashes?

I also read somewhere that the submersible was damaged slightly on the last dive, and that this dive was postponed while repairs were made. So another question that jumps to mind is whether the repairs were completed to a high enough standard.

I cannot fathom why this craft was not fitted with mechanical failsafes in the event of failure so at least they could float back up to the top?

Maybe the joystick got stick drift and they crashed? I know Xbox controllers are terrible for that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I hope not another case of where someone working on it did a half-arsed, lazy, complacent job, and some connection wasn't done up properly, etc. dooming those onboard.

Soldato
Should never be allowed? People shouldn’t be free to follow their dreams and passions if they are dangerous?

Utter nanny statism. The regulations in place exist as a safety net, people are free to peruse things they want to do.

Horse riding, motor racing, flying planes… all incredibly dangerous, all normalised.
Their insurers may have other ideas..

Associate
Reading all this, this is begining to look like company negligence.

reminds me of the story of an astronaut who supposely said (whilst in orbit) Well, how does it feel when you know your life depends on 150,000 parts all bought from the lowest bidder

reading the story about the sub itself, hearing it had an control unit from a consol and you could only open it from outside. , if the worse was to happen I do hope someone in management goes to jail or the company gets fined. you would normally think there would be standards that they had to follow for safety.

Last edited:
Soldato

I agree that a 'cheap' controller could be a sign of penny pinching etc, but on a technical level its the easiest thing to mitigate because he has the touchscreen UI that is probably the primary method of control..
Any misbehaving of the joystick, and just turn it off, pull the batteries (the F710 uses AA batteries, so can be pulled) and use the touchscreen, it's not remotely any form of risk I'd be worried about.

I do many technical risk assessments on life supporting equipment, there are some pretty simple/basic risk controls you can use to get around a lot of electronic/software issues so what you see on the surface may or may not be well thought out but I also have a million questions around the rigour of risk analysis done on this thing and what kinds and how many layers of mitigations exist. My experience of creative dreamers is they can often mitigate the low level technical risks but are hopeless at application/system level risks and have this short sighted rosy view of the world.

The 'health monitoring of the hull' also makes me cringe.. I've worked with NDT Acoustic technologies and seen spectacular failures of carbon fibre parts that just exploded microseconds after the sensors picked up what presumably was stress fractures developing, so my mind is racing with how many things it wouldn't detect until too late and also, the limited failure modes that would still allow you time to surface safely.

But this is experimental craft tourism.. highly risky and why people entrust their lives like this is mind boggling... like space travel... nuts..

Last edited:
Associate
I'd rather go to space for 10 mins or whatever it is than get in a tiny can for 12 hours under the water. There's a reason we know more about space than the sea.

Soldato
Reading all this, this is begining to look like company negligence.

reminds me of the story of an astronaut who supposely said (whilst in orbit) Well, how does it feel when you know your life depends on 150,000 parts all bought from the lowest bidder

reading the story about the sub itself, hearing it had an control unit from a consol and you could only open it from outside. , if the worse was to happen I do hope someone in management goes to jail or the company gets fined. you would normally think there would be standards that they had to follow for safety.
The CEO is stuck inside the sub so he's already jailed to an eternity stuck on the bottom of the Atlantic

I wonder how far past the 96 hour Oxygen window the search will continue though, at that depth and such a small craft, possibly made even smaller if structural issue, it's literally looking for a needle in a haystick inside a cavern

Like at 3:29, it puts into perspective the depths we are talking

Soldato

Jealousy is not a good look.

Back
Top Bottom