Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
Surely everything you know or want to know about this craft is irrelevant.

As someone who's been in engineering his entire life, and whose career very heavily revolves around health and safety, this stuff fascinates me. It's sad that lessons like this have to be learned the hard way, but I do truly hope that people learn from events like this.

Soldato
Just catching up with the news and didn't know about this.

The pressure under the water must be immense so if something happened it can't be good

Soldato
As someone who's been in engineering his entire life,

this'll be an interesting read then on hull structure
Nothing will be mechanically attached to, or penetrate, the composite hull other than the titanium caps. Deep-sea exploration — even in a well-designed, well-engineered, pressurized submersible — is not trivial and does carry with it substantial risk. The world record free-dive depth for a human is 214m (312 psi), and for most people the “safe” depth is probably half that. Thus, in the event of catastrophic failure of a submersible at any depth greater than even 250m, deepsea water pressure would instantly kill every passenger on board. And this is the primary concern of OceanGate and, by extension, Spencer Composites. Cyclops 2 faces potential failure in any one of three structures: the composite hull, the titanium end caps and the acrylic viewport. OceanGate designed a real-time health monitoring system that will acoustically monitor the composite hull to detect the pings and pops that signal to the pilot the risk of potential failure. Strain gauges will measure the health of the titanium end caps, which will see a maximum axial end dome load of up to 22 million lb. The viewport, says Rush, because it is acrylic, fails optically long before it fails structurally — and in this case, catastrophically — thus the crew will detect a problem visually first. In any case, the goal is to alert the pilot of potential catastrophic failure in time to enable movement of the craft to shallower, safer water.
so, like bridges.
haven't yet found how thick the acrylic is

Soldato
Rich idiots doing dumb stuff in unlicensed vehicles. Think of all the homless people that could be housed for the cost of this operation, among many other things.
that has nothing to do with it really and just comes across as jealousy. by that yardstick most people in the UK are relatively loaded and could bail out all those people in shanty towns if they sold XYZ or didn't go on holiday.

Permabanned
that has nothing to do with it really and just comes across as jealousy. by that yardstick most people in the UK are relatively loaded and could bail out all those people in shanty towns if they sold XYZ or didn't go on holiday.
Yes I'm really jealous of losing my life in one of the most worst ways possible.

I'll keep my feet firmly on land, thanks. The oceans aren't for us to engage with.

Last edited:
Soldato
What was the vessel recently that done the 3d scanning of the titanic, Iv not read but assume they are all over it..

Must be horrible,

Last edited:
Caporegime

Just goes to show how rich families never really love each other. Bet the kid is just thinking about his inheritance and what tiktoks he can do with it.

More than likely all these billionaires that got turned into sea mush made all their money exploiting people anyway. Everything ends up coming full circle.

I mean how stupid can people really be. Even Spaceflight isn't as hardcore as going down to the deepest parts of the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom