Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
This

If they/us/everyone wants to change something then you've got to ****ing care about it. The NRA absolutely does care about stopping gun control, so they turn up, they lobby and they get bills stopped. But there are only about 5 million of them. If even 10% of Americans started calling their elected representatives, let them know they want something done about gun control & pestered them until they got the message, then things would get done. The NRA know that, that's why they are focused and lobbying against gun control in the long term, both before and after mass shootings, instead of people just saying we should do something about it for a couple of weeks after a church gets shot up, or a school, for ****s sakes. at least 90% of Democrat and 77% of Republican citizens favour gun control laws at gun shows and for the mentally ill, but nothing is getting done because no one is holding their senators to account.
You've got to make an effort, because the people who want to legalise the sale of silencers for guns are, and they'll win. Posting about it on a message board, or on Twitter isn't enough, posting #pray for.... on Facebook isn't enough. You've got to ****ing bother and that means putting an effort into democracy and making it work for you, because even if 10% of Americans do that then something will get done, sharpish.

This the American paradox, they are apathetic to almost everything and yet it's claimed they need guns to raise up against a tyrannical US government, most of them wouldn't even rise up off the sofa.

Caporegime
The illegal guns are the problem and the overwhelming majority of the time of these have never been in licensed public ownership. They then blanket everyone with the same argument and petitions for tighter control when on reality there is nothing wrong with how it is. They need better policing against the funs and **** gangs import in and deal with that and not punish legit owners which ia all that tends to happen.

When I was a kid, our family owned guns, and my father taught me how to shoot. If it wasn't for the fact that my wife doesn't feel comfortable with them in the house, I would own a gun today. I have no problem with gun ownership per se.

It's not true that 'there's nothing wrong with how it is.' American gun laws are hopelessly weak and inconsistent across different states, which is why so many guns are purchased legally in states with weak laws, and taken across the border to states with tighter laws. In Chicago, just 10 gun stores sell ~25% of all firearms used in local gun crime. These are legal guns, used to commit illegal acts.

When it comes to mass shootings, the evidence is overwhelming: 'More Than 80 Percent of Guns Used in Mass Shootings Obtained Legally.'

This the American paradox, they are apathetic to almost everything and yet it's claimed they need guns to raise up against a tyrannical US government, most of them wouldn't even rise up off the sofa.

They also forget that the last time Americans tried to overthrow their government... the government won.

Soldato
That's not the point.

Why not bad violent computer games, after all in your mind you want to "kill people" what is different to shooting a real gun at a paper target, to playing COD in the mission where you gun down virtual people in the shopping mall?

I found that game far more disturbing than any paper target..

What?

There is no comparison at all between owning guns and playing video games.

You can't, for whatever reason it is that sparks people to commit mass murder, suddenly get up from your sofa/desk and take your virtual gun out of the computer, take to the streets and kill people.

You can be using a real gun for an innocent hobby, lose your mind, leave the field / range you're in and within minutes be taking out innocents. It happens, every single day in America.

Soldato
I don't understand American's obsession with their Constitution, how it's set it stone, and can't be changed. But their has been 27 amendments to it over the years, so why does something being in there guarantee that for ever?

Soldato
What?

There is no comparison at all between owning guns and playing video games.

You can't, for whatever reason it is that sparks people to commit mass murder, suddenly get up from your sofa/desk and take your virtual gun out of the computer, take to the streets and kill people.

You can be using a real gun for an innocent hobby, lose your mind, leave the field / range you're in and within minutes be taking out innocents. It happens, every single day in America.

No but mentality of games is "killing things" - violent games promote violence and should be banned. You should only play My Little Pony games, to avoid anyone linking games to murder.

and the kid may get a hammer

And you could suddenly have the urge to use your car as a weapon.

Or a knife, or a brick, or a rope, or a aeroplane.

Soldato
Yes, but you're talking hypothetically, those things could happen, but generally they don't.

On the other hand mass shootings happen, depending on your definition, at least once a day in America on average.

I'm not advocating banning guns over there, just controlling them better. I think we've got it about right in the UK for example.

A good friend of mine recently got into shotguns and now spends most of his time killing birds or clays and I know how many hoops he had to jump through to get his gun license. He didn't just walk into his local shop or go on Gumtree and buy a bloody assault rifle.

Associate
The quote from Trump about more guns being the answer because he was eventually shot....

26 people dead, but it's ok because we shot the guy too.

No, just don't have 26 people shot in the first place then there's no need to shoot him too.

Would've posted that in the trump's stupid quotes thread, but it got closed :(

Soldato
Columbine has dropped out of the top 10 worst mass shootings in modern day America. Three of the worst five have taken place in the last 18 months. :(

Caporegime
Just follow the money:

NRA_Spending_720x0_c_default.png

Caporegime
If a mass shooting of God loving American people, including a bunch of Kids, and a mother with unborn child cant change Americas gun lawas then NOTHING will.... EVER.
THe country will shoot itself to shreads when they become less relevant over the next 50 years.

Soldato
If a mass shooting of God loving American people, including a bunch of Kids, and a mother with unborn child cant change Americas gun lawas then NOTHING will.... EVER.
THe country will shoot itself to shreads when they become less relevant over the next 50 years.

I've often imagined America becoming much like a cross between Mad Max and Fallout within my lifetime

Caporegime
I don't understand American's obsession with their Constitution, how it's set it stone, and can't be changed. But their has been 27 amendments to it over the years, so why does something being in there guarantee that for ever?

Yet they don't give a flying hoot about their privacy, unlawful seizure and surveillance or the right to a trial (if you get labelled an enemy combatant/terrorist).

Caporegime
Columbine has dropped out of the top 10 worst mass shootings in modern day America. Three of the worst five have taken place in the last 18 months. :(
Isn't that what they say about how these shouldn't be publicised as "the worst shooting in 10 years", or whatever. It gives people a target to aim for (pun intended).

Soldato
We have in the past used such phrases to highlight the problems with laws and regulations. So long as the people are calling for change, it serves to push the issue of change but i suppose with the public refusing to change their view towards guns, it just creates a ranking/top score for these maniacs

Back
Top Bottom