Today's mass shooting in the US

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Broken country.

Just listened to the response by Ted Cruze, nothing is going to change with the current generation of politicians that's for sure.

Man of Honour
So a defenceless population, vulnerable to tyranny. Just how Kim Jong Un would like it.
Firstly most western countries survive just great with strict gun controls. But secondly the intention of US citizens carrying weapons to protect them against a tyrannical government was brought in when citizens had muskets and the government had muskets. Today their citizens have pistols, rifles and automatic weapons, while the government has the most powerful military on the planet. There is no way citizens could stand up to a tyrannical government today.

Man of Honour
OP
Firstly most western countries survive just great with strict gun controls. But secondly the intention of US citizens carrying weapons to protect them against a tyrannical government was brought in when citizens had muskets and the government had muskets. Today their citizens have pistols, rifles and automatic weapons, while the government has the most powerful military on the planet. There is no way citizens could stand up to a tyrannical government today.

Hypothetically it doesn't really work like that - those military forces are integrated with the population, they lose production and maintenance capabilities, can't control all the ground - cruise missiles vs technicals is not a good trade in a war of attrition. The people can choose where and when to fight so it isn't a head to head of main battle tank vs handguns, etc.

The bigger issues for an armed population are lack of fitness and training.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bet they are glad they signed this in to law last year:

The school shooter - who originates from North Dakota and had recently moved to Texas - had reportedly bought two rifles on his 18th birthday, which was days ago, the Daily Beast reported.

Under a new Texan law passed in September, those aged 18-21 could buy guns if they had a protective order, because they were at risk of family violence, stalking, prostitution or sex trafficking.

The law also removed the requirement for a permit for a handgun. Rifles were already permitted in Texas without licenses.

Soldato
The point here is not "what is the perfect solution, and if it isn't perfect do nothing". It is "we must do something".

Stricter gun control is a start. It would be a long road to get to the kind of controls we have here, but making a start is better than saying "it can't be done". They need to take action over there, because it sickens me to think of how I would feel if it were my little girl that was one of the victims there. I can't understand how they tolerate it

Soldato
Bet they are glad they signed this in to law last year:
Genius, make sure troubled kids have easy access to firearms!

It's completely mental you can legally acquire an arsenal of weapons designed for killing people (as opposed to target sport and hunting) at 18.....but you can't risk the dangers of having a sip of beer until you're 21.

Sometimes I've thought about moving to the US as there's a lot that appeals....but the stuff that doesn't appeal is so utterly mental it's not even worth considering.

Caporegime
Shocking again can’t believe this is still happening totally barmy

There's been 27 separate school shootings so far this year in the US, with 140 dead.

That only includes incidents where somebody other than the shooter died before anybody here claims suicides are the primary cause.

Another frightening statistic I just saw on a BBC video is that 4.6 million children in the USA have access to an unsecured firearm and 75% of those children know where it is kept.

Last edited:
Associate
How many did we have before ? There's been more attacks with bombs than there have been school shootings and bombings have always been banned

How many bombings did we have with legally owned bombs?

I don't know what the solution would be for America but the status quo is just insane. The supposed pinnacle of western civilization, white picket fences and the American dream. Just don't **** off Bob next door when you're clearing leaves from your yard. He's got a quick temper and an ar15.

At the very least they should make owning a gun license the equivalent to the training you must do for a car. At the very least.

Horrific for the families, rip.

Caporegime

It's completely mental you can legally acquire an arsenal of weapons designed for killing people (as opposed to target sport and hunting) at 18.....but you can't risk the dangers of having a sip of beer until you're 21.

Sometimes I've thought about moving to the US as there's a lot that appeals....but the stuff that doesn't appeal is so utterly mental it's not even worth considering.

I would never even consider moving to the US.

The country is broken.

SPG

SPG

Soldato

Sometimes I've thought about moving to the US as there's a lot that appeals....but the stuff that doesn't appeal is so utterly mental it's not even worth considering

You need money and plenty of it.

The gun thing, healthcare and infrastructure is disgrace to our European values. But other than if you like the outdoors its brilliant. A place for extended stays only. Your much better off going around the Alps :)

Back
Top Bottom