Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
What do they need semi auto, high capacity, rifles for?

Hunting pigs, for one. They're a real menace in the southern USA. Bears, coyotes, wolves, and other wildlife for two. And defence from other people for three. A lot of people don't realise how big America is. In much of it you can't just ring 999 / 911 and expect a quick police response. The police may not be able to turn up for half an hour - or more - even if they respond immediately. And a hurricane disaster a few years ago in Louisiana showed, the police can be just as bad as looters when they do show up.

Edit: here's a video about shooting wild pigs:

look how large some of the herds are.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bears, coyotes, wolves, and other wildlife for two.

I've seen loads of Bears in CA when hiking, to be honest - just make a load of noise and they normally bugger off... Or you can wear a bear bell and you'll never ever see one.. Coyotes are literally no threat to a person at all, and wolves are so rare - you're more likely to be killed by damn space junk, than a wolf.

In any case, a normal bolt action hunting rifle (large calibre for the bear) would be perfectly fine for hunting any of those.. Or you could own a large dog such as a GSD or something..

There are far more sensible solutions to these problems.

Soldato
I imagine there are a lot of wild animals in the areas surrounding the schools where people get shot.

I dont think any sensible person is taking about gun bans, just some sort of sensible control on who has what. 99.9% of people don't need a gun, and the rest don't need guns that can kill a dozen people in a few minutes/seconds.

Caporegime
I included school staff.

Hmm... nothing since 2008. I wonder why?
You only have to look at other countries with strong gun cultures like Switzerland and Israel to see that guns aren't the problem.

You ignored my post though

The applicant for a firearms license must be a citizen or permanent resident of Israel, who has lived in Israel for the past three years or had completed his national / military service. A person who has served in IDF can receive a firearms license in Israel as of the age of 18. Anyone who has served in the National Service may receive a license starting at the age of 21. Someone who has never served can only receive weapon license after reaching the age of 27. The applicant must be fluent enough in Hebrew to understand instructions and pass an interview.

Anyone requesting a permit to carry a weapon must attach a health declaration from a physician to the application. Finally, the applicant must undergo the required weapons training.

The desire to a obtain a weapon for self-defence is not considered sufficient reason for obtaining a private firearms permit. In order to obtain the license, one must meet one of several criteria specified in the procedures. The criteria include those who live or work beyond the Green Line (the West Bank area or one of the few “communities entitled to weapons” within the Green Line), serve in the security forces (or the police, the Shin Bet, airport security, etc.) or who needs to carry a weapon in their line of work (a security guard, a tour guide, a certified farmer, an explosives carrier, a shooting instructor).

Most private weapons holders are entitled to carry a pistol and 50 bullets. Hunters, rodent exterminators, athletes in the field of shooting and veterinarians working in the field are entitled to receive a type of rifle appropriate to their profession, subject to the recommendation of the relevant authority.

But even having passed the listed requirements and criteria, each applicant’s specific circumstances are examined, in order to ensure that they will not pose a danger to public safety if they receive a weapon permit. For example, any recorded history of criminal convictions, drug consumption, and violent incidents may result in rejection of the application. So can certain types of mental illness, especially involving hallucinations or suicidal tendencies.

The deciding clerk may take into account the circumstances of a past criminal case, even if the applicant was never convicted. References may be made to a case that was never brought to court or closed for lack of evidence

Soldato
Yep I was told this earlier, don’t they or can’t they have some stricter law who can own these rifles, such as people who go hunting, it seems any average joe can buy a rifle just so they can defend themselves from home invasion, seems like it’s a common thing other there going by some comments.
No, firearms in the US, legally speaking, are for self defence. Hunting is largely irrelevant.

Whilst you may not like it, there isn't enough support in the US to change this.

Caporegime
While true, it's a bit semantic, especially as I think his point is equally valid when considering other characteristics over than just select fire capability. I would have thought that in the hands of a disciplined shooter, an assault rifle would be used predominantly in single shot anyway, so the inability of the civilian version to be used in full-auto still seems a bit of a moot point - it still seems a bit overkill for personal/home defence.

Yeah, it kinda is, plenty of military rifles have been semi-auto - more powerful "battle rifles" like the old British Army SLR (a type of FN FAL) was semi-auto for example. Also, the vast majority of the time actual "assault rifles" used in the military are fired semi-automatic anyway, there are far fewer instances where it is useful to fire them fully automatic.

(New) Fully auto assault rifles can't typically be owned by US citizens but it's rather moot given that near-identical assault rifle clones can still be owned minus the fully auto feature that isn't useful most of the time anyway.

Bill Clinton did introduce an assault weapon ban in the 90s and that included some semi-auto rifles such as the AR-15 but it was only a 10 year ban. Legislation often includes cosmetic features like a pistol grip etc. otherwise it's rather hard to define an assault rifle/weapon under such rules vs say a regular semi-auto hunting rifle. What they'd be better off doing is just banning or strictly controlling all semi-auto rifles and pistols perhaps - raise the age limit to say 25, have a background check, require them to be stored appropriately in a safe (and have severe penalties if they're not) so some loner 18-year-old can't just steal a relative's rifle.

Soldato
Anyone that thinks firearms in the hands of anyone that wants one is some kind of 'check and balance' on the government is utterly deranged.

The constitution needs defending from the sorts of yee-haw gun-toting gravy seal chumps that Trump recruited to try and overthrow the democratic process.
Nah, that was just a LARP. ;)

Reactions: JRS
Soldato
I imagine there are a lot of wild animals in the areas surrounding the schools where people get shot.

I dont think any sensible person is taking about gun bans, just some sort of sensible control on who has what. 99.9% of people don't need a gun, and the rest don't need guns that can kill a dozen people in a few minutes/seconds.
Yeah I'm sure there a lot of bears terrorising these suburban communities.

Gun ownership is on another level there was watching someone's youtube channel the other day about something harmless and innocuous and oh, heres my high velocity semi automatic and the ammunition cartridges I bought for it have arrived... it was just so random and as casual as ordering the groceries. The guy works in IT.

Soldato
Horrific. I've got primary age kids, so these school shootings are particularly upsetting. What sort of depraved scumbag would murder schoolchildren?

The US has a problem with killing sprees. Given the high rate of gun ownership, that is unlikely to change soon.

Caporegime
If Americans are so obsessed with owning a gun, then why can't they change the laws so its just a pistol they can own, why do they need assault rifles.

I do not think it is obsessed with guns. They are obsessed with the amendments like it is some sort of religion. I also think the worry is that if one amendment is changed you are opening up a whole can of worms for the others.

Soldato
I do not think it is obsessed with guns. They are obsessed with the amendments like it is some sort of religion. I also think the worry is that if one amendment is changed you are opening up a whole can of worms for the others.
See my post above, they have amended amendments, when it suits them.

Associate
I remember watching a YouTube channel before COVID kicked off I think it was along the lines of homestead? It's a big channel reviewing outdoor kit, it was a very good watch. Then the family was getting in supplies canned food and the like to cut down on grocery shopping, all of a sudden they were discussing ammo and what guns they would need, gun safes and accessories for holding all the equipment if they were under attack from people looking to break in to steal food.

They have a totally different mind set to us, it seems there lives evolve around gun ownership and the culture surrounding it.

I can't ever imagine having to shop for automatic weapons just to stop a random bloke from breaking in and trying to steal canned tuna. Utter madness.

Really feel sorry for the children growing up over there. I can't see it ever changing its deeply ingrained in there mindset. :(

Back
Top Bottom