Today's mass shooting in the US

Caporegime
If there aren't laws that make the original owner of a firearm liable for any crimes committed with it due to the owner's negligence then there really ought to be.

Involuntary manslaughter sounds about right.

It's impossible really to do this inthe usa.

Easy in the uk as guns must be stored secure, they can't be used for defence so this isn't an issue. But Americans can legitimately own and use thier gun for defence, so it needs to be easily accessible.

Blaming then for using it that way would most Likley be argued as impinging the 2nd amendment right

Caporegime
What facts?

The consistent data showing that mental illness is not a significant factor in homicides. I've already posted some, remember? Here's some more:

Although many Americans believe that people with mental disorders pose a danger to themselves or others, the science reveals a more nuanced picture.

Suicide risk is indeed elevated among people with certain mental illnesses (e.g., schizophrenia, depression, borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorders), but suicide among those with such diagnoses is still rare.

Similarly, homicide risk is elevated among people with certain mental conditions (e.g., schizophrenia) and people with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders, but these individuals still account for a minority of homicides and acts of mass violence in the United States.

On the other hand, people with mental health conditions appear to be at increased risk for being victims of interpersonal violence.

(Source).

Where is the evidence supporting your position?

Soldato
The consistent data showing that mental illness is not a significant factor in homicides. I've already posted some, remember? Here's some more:

(Source).

Where is the evidence supporting your position?
Again, very broad. I didn't say homocides, I didn't say mass murder, I said school shootings. Many shootings, including mass shootings are linked to general crime, it's very different to just trying to kill kids.

Caporegime
Again, very broad. I didn't say homocides, I didn't say mass murder, I said school shootings. Many shootings, including mass shootings are linked to general crime, it's very different to just trying to kill kids.

Again, there is no evidence that mental illness is a significant factor in school shootings. All you're doing is making assertions, I haven't seen a scrap of evidence-based support for your claims.

Soldato
I always thought an 'amendment' could be, you know, amended...
It can but the way the Constitution is written it needs super majorities, which are unlikely to ever happen.

I enjoyed Senile Joe’s comment: “He said it contradicted "both common sense and the constitution, and should deeply trouble us all".”. Contradicts common sense? Arguable. The Constitution? Absolutely not.

Caporegime
They passed it.

'Senate passes bipartisan gun safety bill.'

The Senate on Thursday passed a bipartisan gun safety bill that could become the most significant federal gun legislation in decades if signed into law.

Driving the news: The Senate approved the measure in a 65-33 vote, with 15 Republicans joining Democrats to vote in favor.

• The House has signaled that it will take up the legislation swiftly and send it to President Biden's desk.
The big picture: The bill, called the "Bipartisan Safer Communities Act," includes enhanced background checks and clarification on the "boyfriend loophole," which prevents domestic abusers from purchasing guns, unmarried or not, Axios' Alayna Treene and Jacob Knutson report.

• It also includes increased funding for mental health and school safety and incentives for states to implement "red flag" laws.
  • A bipartisan group of senators drafted the legislation in response to multiple mass shootings last month, including one at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas that killed 19 children and two teachers and another that killed 10 at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York.
  • The bill was hung up last week as the "core four" senators involved in drafting the bill struggled to strike a compromise over the red flag provision and the "boyfriend loophole."
State of play: Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who voted to pass the bill, was crucial in shoring up Republican support to break the 60-vote filibuster.

This legislation alone has saved Biden from being a lame duck president. Though the rest of his term will to flounder in Senate deadlocks and a sluggish economy that will likely fall into recession, he has at least distinguished himself with a historic achievement.

Breitbart is taking it well. Let's see how the good folks at patriots.win are...

0eefz9.png

Oh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is it all the anti-Trumpers seem to have all the links to the Trump supporters websites?

On a serious note I think this is a step in the right direction. I think they should aim to bring checks up to the levels we have in the UK, including having other people who know the person vouch for them.

Soldato
Oh America, whiel most of them are happy to quote the second amendment, how many of them actually understand its meaning and implication or are just happy to own guns and damned is anyone who tries to remove them...

Back
Top Bottom