Tokyo Olympics 2020

Soldato
Hmm, weightlifting might be scrapped from 2024 games for being too sketchy.

There's drugs but everyone has drugs, this is more about leadership corruption.

Seems to be an attempt to get the entire international weightlifting federation board to resign instead of the sport getting binned.

The changes approved yesterday give the IOC Executive Board the power to suspend weightlifting from the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris without reference to the IOC’s full membership at the next Session in 2022.

Unless a new Constitution that is acceptable to the IOC is adopted at a delayed IWF Congress between August 28 and 31, weightlifting is likely to be suspended at the next IOC Executive Board meeting on September 8, or the one that follows on October 5.

The latest draft version of the new Constitution, which was drawn up after negotiations in which Andrews took part, is not strong enough to appease the IOC’s concerns.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1111451/iwf-board-members-urged-to-resign

And this is the kind of thing the IOC is unhappy about:

https://barbend.com/mclaren-investigation-iwf-tamas-ajan/

Soldato
OP
Decided to stick with it for another few days whilst I wait for the cycling to start. Checked out rhythmic gymnastics which is a bunch of ladies throwing balls, hoops, clubs and ribbons around in time to music. It's very skilful and mesmerizing to watch, especially the group event where there's five of them doing tricks all at once. It's better than the more popular artistic gym if you ask me.

I didn't see the group events but watched the individual of that and Israel won. It's incredibly skillful!

Soldato
What?! The media tells me

The media focuses on the biggest story and nothing is a bigger story than one of the biggest countries having a ban for state level drugs/corruption.

Every year there's a list of people getting caught on drug offences at the olympics.

Just because the media isn't focusing on it doesn't mean people aren't being banned. The media is not due process in drug offences.

Soldato
Unlike some of the posts here, I don't find this Ujah doping story remotely funny.

Feel very sorry for the other three in the relay team and I remain bitterly disappointed in any British sportsperson who has allegedly doped.

Soldato
Mental if you don’t think every track/weightlifting athlete isn’t on gear. If the juiced up guys aren’t smashing the ‘natural’ athletes by huge margins, that should be telling you something.

The Olympus drug test for the same reason wrestling used to take a dim view on competitors getting caught on gear - the bad image. They’re simply worried the olympics will fall apart if the public knew how rife it is. So al that happens is the Olympic committee do their due diligence loosely, and the athletes employ medical teams who learn how to cheat the system.

Soldato
Mental if you don’t think every track/weightlifting athlete isn’t on gear. If the juiced up guys aren’t smashing the ‘natural’ athletes by huge margins, that should be telling you something.

The Olympus drug test for the same reason wrestling used to take a dim view on competitors getting caught on gear - the bad image. They’re simply worried the olympics will fall apart if the public knew how rife it is. So al that happens is the Olympic committee do their due diligence loosely, and the athletes employ medical teams who learn how to cheat the system.

You realise the top of this page is me posting that they're willing to drop weightlifting due to weightlifting leadership corruption. That sounds super relaxed about standards at the top...

I think there's a stack of ignorance in thinking there's equivalence between "gear" you can use in unregulated sport and what you can use in the olympics and why.

There's money to be made being a successful strongman, a bodybuilder or an actor with huge muscle development with low body fat and the risk is primarily medical since no one is testing those professions for drugs. A major film studio will give you X months to get in shape for a beefcake role, throw a coach and money at you and feign ignorance about the details. You can find a fair bit of discussion on this kind of thing but the people involved are likely to pass on conversation about it because of image issues or local laws about possession of certain drugs.

Meanwhile if you want a career as an international track/weightlifting athlete you have to risk EVERYTHING under regular and unannounced testing and spend perhaps a couple of decades of your life training under such conditions. Plus there's no money in it except for a rare few.

It's quite possible the potentially fastest person in the world just couldn't give a **** about running, went into a management role and never did the training or time investment required to claim the title.

109+ kg weightlifting is two simple lifts and dominated by a massive georgian who spends his life getting golds and getting tested.

There's no way he can be on the steroid cycles professional strongmen (who don't get tested) are on but between his genetics, his time investment and his training and what he is able to take within restrictions he holds the records for those lifts.

The vast majority of the performance you see at the olympics is what you get from some people with base talent focusing their life on being good at it for many years. Some other person who isn't putting that focus in is not likely to beat them at it.

Soldato
It’s a great story, but does it really stand up to scrutiny? I just don’t think so. Again the controversies you linked to about forcing the reorganisation of the weightlifting federation is to tackle state-level doping and corruption. To me, it’s much easier to turn a blind eye to personal drug use than it is effectively state-sponsored drug use - it’s much harder to keep the latter quiet and out of the public eye, which is what the Olympic committee want.

Lance Armstrong was surely one of the most tested athletes in the world at one point. Mo Farrah has been served short term bans previously for outright avoiding all testing. Again, I’m not saying the Olympics allow drug use - I’m saying the vast majority of athletes in track/weightlifting events will be using drugs despite the risks, utilising off-seasons, medical professionals and test avoidance to get around it.

Soldato
Unlike some of the posts here, I don't find this Ujah doping story remotely funny.
agree - hopefully the media will explain what the loopholes are, that he(and others?) may still exploit.
the olympic representative r4@1 suggested it is down to him to prove his innocence as inadvertant-consumption/spiked/permitted-medical-use,
he didn't say if the penalty is reduced if he does not get the B sample tested and owns up.

Back
Top Bottom