Tomtom Rider 400 or Garmin Zumo?

Associate
Hi all,

I was looking for some advice. I need a sat nav for when I'm out and about on the bike. Looking at the lower end of the market the options I've got are the Garmin Zumo 390LM or the TomTom Rider 400, both are similarly priced, come with lifetime maps and updates and are well reviewed.

I've only ever had one stand alone satnav before the age of smartphones so I have no idea which is the better unit. The TomTom is a new release however it appeared to have had some initial bugs which where fixed with a software patch, but I can't find any post patch reviews to see if the issues are fixed.

Thanks for any input! :)

Man of Honour
The Tomtom is great just a pity it takes so long to update, if you want it done for a trip you have to remember to check the day before at least because you're looking at a couple of hours for system and map updates.

Soldato
I have the TomTom, worked perfectly during my 1500 miles of Scotland. And I dropped it 3 times :D

Winding routes isn't that good or particularly fun because it literally goes down some terrible 'roads' that aren't suitable for bikes.

Man of Honour
Winding routes worked great for me in Wales, was complete crap in between Wolves and the border though took me down what amounted to dirt track a fair few times which is not fun on something that isn't an adventure bike!

Soldato
I used to have a TomTom Rider v5 before changing bikes to a BMW that came with a branded version of a Garmin 660. On balance I prefer the Garmin version, although that might be because it is heavily integrated into the bike. It updates faster than the TomTom and the support software also works with Apple, unlike TomTom's.

Just as separate info, the best third party mapping software I've found so far is Motogoloco. Works really well and updating either sat nav is quick and simple, as it planning a route.

Soldato
I've downloaded and played around with the Tyre software for a few months and planning routes is dead easy - you just have to be aware of how it translates the route on the satnav, basically it takes the waypoints to put on the map and the satnav will then find the 'best' route between each waypoint. So if you're not bothered about the route, leave big gaps, but if you want to make sure you go down a certain road then add more more waypoints.

Altough it can be used for Garmin too I think, but with the Tomtom you get a free tyre "pro" which is normally 50 euros.

Screenshot of Tyre, with a route I've planned.
kkabu0d.jpg

Soldato
I've downloaded and played around with the Tyre software for a few months and planning routes is dead easy - you just have to be aware of how it translates the route on the satnav, basically it takes the waypoints to put on the map and the satnav will then find the 'best' route between each waypoint. So if you're not bothered about the route, leave big gaps, but if you want to make sure you go down a certain road then add more more waypoints.

Altough it can be used for Garmin too I think, but with the Tomtom you get a free tyre "pro" which is normally 50 euros.

Screenshot of Tyre, with a route I've planned.
kkabu0d.jpg

Tyre looks good. Going to give it a go for Scotland trip next year :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm gonna go for the TomTom. I've had a play with the Tyre software and I think it may take some getting used to. In case anyone else is interested TomTom have a deal at the moment for a free car mount if you purchase before the end of the year.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm gonna go for the TomTom. I've had a play with the Tyre software and I think it may take some getting used to. In case anyone else is interested TomTom have a deal at the moment for a free car mount if you purchase before the end of the year.

I have no idea what half the tyre software buttons do! But starting a new route and just adding waypoints as you go along is dead easy, just a case of right click - add waypoint. You can calculate all or part of the route too so you can see the distance between certain waypoints. And you can drag the route which will add a waypoint in automatically. You're meant to be able to import a route direct from google maps too which does work ok most of the time, but some waypoints are misplaced.

Man of Honour
They've recently updated the FW on the Tomtom so you can directly import route files from other mapping software as well although I've not tried it yet.

Soldato
I just could not bring myself to like the Tyre software, it's about 10 years out of date in terms of usability. Too easy to lose an entire route if you mess up and was generally just a PITA to use. I made one track with it which worked on the road but it was like pulling teeth.

Back
Top Bottom