Too many credit cards? aka "The Credit Card thread"

We buy THROUGH credit cards. The only extra step is to do a transfer of funds once a month to the credit card from my account.

We don't let the credit card balance carry over....do people even know what this means?

I bet they don't.

To be fair I don't even have that extra step, my current AC is linked via DD to pay for the CC and that is where my salary goes.

So far as effort is concerned, there really isn't much besides being aware of how much the CC balance is, which the Amex app can tell you.

They need to know that you are responsible with credit, how much you own in possession is not really the criteria. As the debt on credit cards are not the same as a mortgage for a house. What's the term...i forgot. Oh yes, Unsecured and Secured loans. Credit card is unsecured, so it's harder for them to get it back, vs a secured loan.

The only way really to improve your credit score is actually use credit, since having a million quid in the bank doesn't show them how you would do when given credit, are you going to just do a runner?

I too are near the end of my mortgage and too have 5 digits in savings, i have no car repayments, i buy nothing with any kind of repayment plan. Even though i see lots of "spread your purchase in 3 payments with 0%". I just pay it off.

Think of it as buying THROUGH credit card, rather than buying WITH credit.
I sometimes use the 3 month option with my Monzo flex. Cracking little idea is flex, especially with the new pay in full at the end of the month option.

To be fair I don't even have that extra step, my current AC is linked via DD to pay for the CC and that is where my salary goes.

So far as effort is concerned, there really isn't much besides being aware of how much the CC balance is, which the Amex app can tell you.

Sometimes I "overpay" the month's balance ahead of schedule lol when I really shouldn't, keeping money in my own account longer.

What rabbit hole do you foresee?

I have more than enough in my debit account to pay for any credit I accrue throughout a month, and I typically know to within £100 or so how much my CC balance is.

I save up and buy stuff just like all of the anti-CC crew, I just pay via CC and then pay it off monthly. I paid for my solar installation via CC but I had the cash in the bank to cover it, and I got £60 cashback doing that + the CC protection.

I have never paid a single penny in CC interest because I pay it off automatically with full balance DD payment, without manual intervention.

Like I say, they travel your road. As long as you are confident that there is no way that things can go bad, then everything is fine. Why do you keep trying to make a point you have already made? That's a rhetorical question, by the way!!!

No fees aboard and cash back.

Clarity doesn’t have cash back. Tiny difference but difference nevertheless.
gPdNEVH.png

Like I say, they travel your road. As long as you are confident that there is no way that things can go bad, then everything is fine. Why do you keep trying to make a point you have already made? That's a rhetorical question, by the way!!!

Well if I make a statement and you reply to it, you then don't want me to reply further? why are you even bothering to quote me then?

You can't just disclaim your posts saying it's a rhetorical question so you don't get an answer of some kind, it's a forum for debating, not a one way conversation.

I'm not against the idea that people just don't want a credit card, but you're posting inaccurate information about them having fees attached shows you don't know much about them, which makes your recommendations null and void.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve noticed over the last year is even the prime cards rates are getting pushed up now. The likes of Barclaycard are going up to nearly 24%. I presume this is all to do with the constant rise in interest rates that the BofE is forcing upon us?

One thing I’ve noticed over the last year is even the prime cards rates are getting pushed up now. The likes of Barclaycard are going up to nearly 24%. I presume this is all to do with the constant rise in interest rates that the BofE is forcing upon us?
yep, pretty much every time I log into my Barclaycard online account there's now a banner telling me my rates are going up due to the base rate raises.

Most likely, but I never care about that. One of mine is 73.9%* but it's irrelevant as it's settled monthly.

As I said before, I buy things THROUGH credit cards, I don't really need the credit.

*Amex Gold, I have this because I like the global lounge access. Which I use, so I get value from it.

Last edited:
Most likely, but I never care about that. One of mine is 73.9%* but it's irrelevant as it's settled monthly.

As I said before, I buy things THROUGH credit cards, I don't really need the credit.

*Amex Gold, I have this because I like the global lounge access. Which I use, so I get value from it.
At least you understand the rate advertised isnt the purchase APR though. It includes the fee, hence very high.

Some people think its 73.9% APR on purchases, or even higher for the BA related ones.

Last edited:

I have no idea what any of my CCs APR is.
Ive never paid it. As long as DD is set up correctly. And bank account has funds to pay it's meaningless

Is the lounge access for BA lounges only and can you fly any class or do you have to be in club or first only?

Is the lounge access for BA lounges only and can you fly any class or do you have to be in club or first only?

Basically, it's priority pass membership. You can fly any class.

Not every airport has it though, for example, T2 in Healthrow doesn't have it. Or they used to, but then the lounge left the programme.

But not the basic one, where it would cost entry fee each time you enter. I get to visit it for free.

Last edited:
Basically, it's priority pass membership. You can fly any class.

Not every airport has it though, for example, T2 in Healthrow doesn't have it. Or they used to, but then the lounge left the programme.

But not the basic one, where it would cost entry fee each time you enter. I get to visit it for free.
So if you get unlimited access to lounges, it’s pretty much equivalent to the £419 prestige level membership

If you have a Barclays Prem account and Barclays Avios plus - you get a Dragon Pass for free (4 free visits). I say free, but there is still a card fee.

So if you get unlimited access to lounges, it’s pretty much equivalent to the £419 prestige level membership
Most of these are limited to free 4 visits - happy to be corrected

Last edited:
I once heard/read that the very action of closing down a credit card can have a slightly (minor) negative impact on your credit history, and that it was better to just leave them open and running. I feel like I heard that on money saving expert but not sure. It seems madness that this could be the case?

Back
Top Bottom