Tools you'd like to receive as a gift?

Associate
A quality ratcheting screwdriver/bit set is great for one of those 'buy it for life' things.
A laser level is good example of something that is a bit of a luxury but does make your life a lot easier.

Soldato
OP
Hattori hanzo sword.
Sold out, I guess people prepping for the Zombie pandemic.

Time machine and a snipers rifle.

Ex wife would never know...
Are these two unrelated recommendations?

<snip>

Just give me a £1k voucher for Machine Mart (my favourite shop ever) and I’ll be a happy man.
Got my first air compressor from Machine Mart. What a store. Also saved my ass a few times when I had to get helicoils. As if they keep them in stock in many sizes. Could easily go into the many thousands of k in that shop.

A replacement for my knackered Bosch hammer drill. Lasted for over 20 years but the trigger switch has developed a fault now.
Far too sensitive an area to buy for - eco-systems, DeWalt stacking system, blah. Not worth the headache of getting it wrong lol.

I am in the lucky situation that i have a

large amount of quality tools provided to me by work, way better than I could afford.

but i would kill for a lathe and a milling machine (if i had the space) and maybe a 3d printer
No garage but he'd love both of those.

I kinda disagree, but maybe because of my own personal journey.

Each of my tools has a bit of a story - most are necessity purchases for when I've been doing a job and think, ah, I really need this particular tool. They're also a wide variery of brands, ages, and levels of use. I don't think you can replicate that love of your own tools thing by just buying a monolithic unit already full of every tool known to man, but which you've not spent hours of time researching and checking which was the best to buy.
I agree.
I'd love a forge if someone were to gift me one, but I don't think I'll ever get round to buying and learning :(
Do it. They're on eBay for <£200.

My wife not only went out and bought our air compressor but she also installed it in the roof space of the garage and ran the air hose connection points around the wall. We've always worked on cars together. Thinking about it, the garage was where, ahem, our first born "came to mind" ;)

As for what I want but no need - I fancy a laser cutter. I've toyed with the idea of converting one of my 3D printers to a laser cutter.

Lucky man! I totally had mis-aged you.

milwaukee hedge trimmer... !
Eco-system problem... although you have piqued my interest. Is it too soon to throw out my £60 Bosch that gets used once a year?

Digital angle rule. Happy to do it manually but if somebody bought me one...
Good shout. I can only spot the Trend one. Is there anything better than this?

The winning posts were a combination of:

I tend to only buy tools when I need them but I really really really want/need a set of tap bits, preferably Wera.
A quality ratcheting screwdriver/bit set is great for one of those 'buy it for life' things.
A laser level is good example of something that is a bit of a luxury but does make your life a lot easier.
Wera stuff, specifically the Zyklop socket sets and the Joker spanners that they do. Have a few Wera screwdrivers and Allen key sets, and they’re are things of beauty.

I ended up getting a Wera Kraftform Kompakt 60 Ratchet screwdriver & Bit Set, 17pc The good news is, if he doesn't like it, he can re-gift it to me for my birthday.

Laser level and digital angle rule added to the wish list for Christmas and next birthday...

Soldato
Main Xmas present from the wife most years will usually be tool related although I’ve usually sent her links to make sure I get exactly what I want as I’m generally fairly specific about what I want.

Couple of times she’s gone out on a limb and got me stuff without prompting. Aluminium AN spanners were a winner, digital torque wrench was nice and not something I’d have thought to buy for myself but it’s also not something I particularly needed so I feel a little guilty for not using it more often.

Soldato
I'd love another low entry, high lift trolley jack but as my normal one 'does fine' i wouldn't buy it myself.

Otherwise a TIG welding setup would be amazing but again unlikely to buy myself as i have a MIG and Arc set so i tend to make do with them.

Then i guess some form of car scissor/platform lift would be amazing but i doubt id drop the £1600 for it just to make my normal DIY tasks a bit easier :(

Soldato
I bought it myself in the end.
Same story, she didn’t bite and I just bought it anyway.
I fully expect to drop all the hints but end up having to just buy it myself.

Simpler to just get a better wife, mate....
I joked with mine about wanting an expensive bandsaw once. Even showed her links to a couple of decent 2nd hand ones.
Christmas arrives and there's a shiny brand new one waiting for me!

Associate
Main Xmas present from the wife most years will usually be tool related although I’ve usually sent her links to make sure I get exactly what I want as I’m generally fairly specific about what I want.

I gave my parents links and pictures of a Stanley No5 Smoothing plane as I wanted one for xmas, I was very specific about the type of plane in needed as I was making a custom desk for my PC.

They got me an electric planer from Aldi :mad: what irritated me more was the fact I had a Bosch one in the garage already so now i have 2 electric planers and no Smoothing plane :(

Soldato
OP
I gave my parents links and pictures of a Stanley No5 Smoothing plane as I wanted one for xmas, I was very specific about the type of plane in needed as I was making a custom desk for my PC.

They got me an electric planer from Aldi :mad: what irritated me more was the fact I had a Bosch one in the garage already so now i have 2 electric planers and no Smoothing plane :(
:cry: Reminds me of when I asked for an iPod for Christmas and got a Sony Discman that could play MP3s.

Back
Top Bottom