Tories lost the 2019 election among working age adults

Soldato
Soldato
I find it funny you're gonna have a labour government for at least 5 years probably 10.
Maybe if the conspiracy rumours are true we'll be at war with Russia by the end of the year anyway, that's a reason why Rishi called early just to get the hell out.
Labour win this by default, as long as they don't start putting their feet in all their mouths by spurting stupid election promises.
Good luck either way lol

I'm not keen on conscription and military service, if everyone is "prepared" for war then war will always be an easy option. But I think that's the way Europe is going again.... Glad I had a pretty good life. :p

War happens when people forget how bad the last one was.

Suspended
That reminds me of a guy I knew who had a maths degree, and now worked on the checkout at B&Q.
If I was a maths genius I'd do some time in the city doing quant work, bank a shedload of money until I felt I was close to burnout, then go do something like B&Q to chill out for the rest of my days. :)

Soldato
That reminds me of a guy I knew who had a maths degree, and now worked on the checkout at B&Q.

If I was a maths genius I'd do some time in the city doing quant work, bank a shedload of money until I felt I was close to burnout, then go do something like B&Q to chill out for the rest of my days. :)

Yes that is the dream.. or at least my dream. Earn enough cash to be settle for life and then work a noddy job just to keep the job centre off your back.

I’m thinking of the sorting office at the post office or some other delivery company.

Suspended
Yes that is the dream.. or at least my dream. Earn enough cash to be settle for life and then work a noddy job just to keep the job centre off your back.

I’m thinking of the sorting office at the post office or some other delivery company.
Absolutely - I'm not far away from being able to just give up my job and then do forklift/telehandler driving or something else less stressful. Just need to grind a little more to get over the line for plan B if plan A doesn't happen. Maybe low-stress job ideas is for another thread. :)

Actually that got me wondering - what happens if you just give up work? Do HMRC/DWP start pestering you? I notice that I have the maximum state pension contributions required now thanks to the link above so don't see any reason why I'd get hassle.

EDIT: Sorry for derailment - this should really be in the pensions or another thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually that got me wondering - what happens if you just give up work? Do HMRC/DWP start pestering you? I notice that I have the maximum state pension contributions required now thanks to the link above so don't see any reason why I'd get hassle.

Depends on the situ, if you're old enough you can claim that you are retired. a lot of people just retired early during COVID.
If you are self sufficient and don't have to sign on, I don't think there's anything they can do?
How many kids from rich families just drift in life not working and living of their parents money? as look as you are not signing on; you're not a statistic for them to care.

My brother and sister in law just retired before covid, but they still have business interest leasing out houses and businesses and paying income tax and NI because of it.

Soldato

Barista FIRE if you want to put a name to it. :)

The Conservatives have visited my street twice and in doing so pushed two flyers through my door. One of the election promises is to get rid of NI. But that opens up a question on how they will keep track of NI contributions for state pension. Or are they planning to give a state pension to anyone living in this country who is state retirement age of older? (I guess there is another option of getting rid of the state pension and subjecting many pensioners to poverty... but I don't believe that will be a option)

Associate

Same here

Finish my career in the RAF at age 45 ish. (Can leave at 40) Have the mortgage paid off, the modest monthly pension topped up with relatively relaxed work would see me right.

Soldato
Barista FIRE if you want to put a name to it. :)
Coast FI

Keep the money that you have saved and invested, the noddy job just pays for the living expenditures until you fully retire... you're just "coasting" to the finish line..

---​

The reason why older people vote for the torries, or some people vote for the torries as they get older is that people are worried about losing what they currently have or think that they can return back to that "ye olde times" when it was better. I just think currently a lot of people are prepared to risk what little they currently have for a better future or the only good times that they can remember was when "new" labour/torrie lite was in change. Either case, the writting is on the wall...

Soldato
OP
I suppose the question is: is it potentially problematic to have a government who are only favoured by groups whose interests are so different to the majority of working people?
From the OP ^

I think it's pretty clear to see from these past few days, if it were not already, that there us indeed a bit of a problem to have a government, or one of our two major parties, who are only favoured by groups whose interests are so different to the majority of working people.

Here's the latest, following hot on the heels of national service for the young:

Soldato
Hmmm that’s a bit of a concealed headline…

Some may read it as great… the state pension will never be taxed…

I read it as the state pension will never be high enough to meet/beat the personal allowance for income tax. The same personal allowance some deem as the minimal requirement to live a basic life and work at the same time, so much so that the government uses universal credit to help people get to that amount.

In my basic point of view the state pension, personal tax allowance and job seekers allowance (and maybe minimum wage too), on the most simple level should all be the same, and it should be the bare minimum that a person needs to live.

Soldato
The "brightest and best" they claim to target for the military service won't be interested in spending a year serving on paltry pay rather than starting their careers or study.

Soldato

Many of the pure sciences are a bit of a waste of time for the average person. The simple fact is that there are very few real jobs out there that require mathematicians.

Always a complaint of mine towards our educational system, that it educates people in ways that turn out to be useless later on.

Maybe that was just me. I wandered through school thinking the the subjects were the end goal. I kinda didn't realise "what came after" was not the same. I always felt that "what came after" is what the school should have been teaching us, but didn't.

Caporegime
The "brightest and best" they claim to target for the military service won't be interested in spending a year serving on paltry pay rather than starting their careers or study.
Its just a state of mind loads of countries do it and still somehow manage to cope.
If it happens, which it won't, in a generation it will be 100% normal.

Young people getting involved with the local community if done right is also not a bad thing but instantly it's labeled as slavery an exploitative which is really a state of the modern days crappy attitude.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its just a state of mind loads of countries do it and still somehow manage to cope.
If it happens, which it won't, in a generation it will be 100% normal.

Young people getting involved with the local community if done right is also not a bad thing but instantly it's labeled as slavery an exploitative which is really a state of the modern days crappy attitude.

I don't think conscription is a bad idea. I think it's about time people got a grounding in reality! But having said that, I do think it's a terrible time to start discussing it.
I dunno. Maybe it's a clever ploy. Get people talking about that instead of the issues that have concerned them for the last 14 years. You know, all those things the conservatives have failed at over that time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom