Tories lost the 2019 election among working age adults

Soldato
Its just a state of mind loads of countries do it and still somehow manage to cope.
If it happens, which it won't, in a generation it will be 100% normal.

Young people getting involved with the local community if done right is also not a bad thing but instantly it's labeled as slavery an exploitative which is really a state of the modern days crappy attitude.
Very very few developed western nations have national service and when you read the details of those that do it is pretty light weight stuff. Germany has just ditched a similar scheme as its youth essentially landed up working as free labour in care homes. The vast majority of 18 year olds will Not volunteer to join the army for a year so the amount of ‘volunteer’ work suddenly needed would be bonkers and no doubt exploited by big businesses. It is just yet more headline grabbing nonsense from the Tory party aimed to appeal to the people who bemoan the ‘youth of today’ while conveniently forgetting they missed the old national service cut off!

Soldato
Many of the pure sciences are a bit of a waste of time for the average person. The simple fact is that there are very few real jobs out there that require mathematicians.

Always a complaint of mine towards our educational system, that it educates people in ways that turn out to be useless later on.

Maybe that was just me. I wandered through school thinking the the subjects were the end goal. I kinda didn't realise "what came after" was not the same. I always felt that "what came after" is what the school should have been teaching us, but didn't.

Surely you didn’t believe that the few years that you spent in primary and secondary school would be enough time to provide you with all the knowledge that you would require for the rest of your life?

Soldato
Many of the pure sciences are a bit of a waste of time for the average person. The simple fact is that there are very few real jobs out there that require mathematicians.

Always a complaint of mine towards our educational system, that it educates people in ways that turn out to be useless later on.

Maybe that was just me. I wandered through school thinking the the subjects were the end goal. I kinda didn't realise "what came after" was not the same. I always felt that "what came after" is what the school should have been teaching us, but didn't.
I remember when I was on the Computer Studies course at college the programming languages we learned was way out of date.

I remember part of the course was to do a placement at a company. This one guy went to work at the local council. When he was asked to do something to the IT system he hadn't a clue what he was doing so had to return back to the college.

Out of a total of 3 years across 2 courses the only modern language was C. They had dedicated 2 weeks right at the end.

Many of us dropped out of the course as it was a waste of time.

dod

dod

Soldato
The Conservatives have visited my street twice and in doing so pushed two flyers through my door. One of the election promises is to get rid of NI. But that opens up a question on how they will keep track of NI contributions for state pension. Or are they planning to give a state pension to anyone living in this country who is state retirement age of older? (I guess there is another option of getting rid of the state pension and subjecting many pensioners to poverty... but I don't believe that will be a option)
I'd guess they'll simply increase tax. That will have the dual impact of replacing the lost income but also taking more pensioners back into being tax payers (they don't pay NI) and increasing the overall tax take.

Soldato
I remember when I was on the Computer Studies course at college the programming languages we learned was way out of date.

I remember part of the course was to do a placement at a company. This one guy went to work at the local council. When he was asked to do something to the IT system he hadn't a clue what he was doing so had to return back to the college.

Out of a total of 3 years across 2 courses the only modern language was C. They had dedicated 2 weeks right at the end.

Many of us dropped out of the course as it was a waste of time.

Sounds like a very poorly run course :(

On the first day of mine, the course leader told us "everything technical we teach you is going to be obsolete by the time you finish the course, so instead we're going to teach you to learn quickly".

I think this makes sense for a lot of higher education - while the subject itself can be relevant to a point, of more importance is learning the ability to research, learn, draw conclusions, and apply critical thinking.

Soldato
Hmmm that’s a bit of a concealed headline…

Some may read it as great… the state pension will never be taxed…

I read it as the state pension will never be high enough to meet/beat the personal allowance for income tax. The same personal allowance some deem as the minimal requirement to live a basic life and work at the same time, so much so that the government uses universal credit to help people get to that amount.

In my basic point of view the state pension, personal tax allowance and job seekers allowance (and maybe minimum wage too), on the most simple level should all be the same, and it should be the bare minimum that a person needs to live.

The state pension is never taxed. Adjustments are made in other pensions an individual may have.

Job seekers allowance is meant to be a temporary support not a lifestyle.

Minimum wage exceeds the pension based on a five day week.

The bare minimum for one person is different for others.

Soldato
Very very few developed western nations have national service and when you read the details of those that do it is pretty light weight stuff. Germany has just ditched a similar scheme as its youth essentially landed up working as free labour in care hmes. The vast majority of 18 year olds will Not volunteer to join the army for a year so the amount of ‘volunteer’ work suddenly needed would be bonkers and no doubt exploited by big businesses. It is just yet more headline grabbing nonsense from the Tory party aimed to appeal to the people who bemoan the ‘youth of today’ while conveniently forgetting they missed the old national service cut off!

That is the Tory idea. This will be the fourth iteration of the same thing, trying to get people to work for a pittance.

Soldato
o, I opted out of SC.
Point stands though, either this thread is about GE (in which case make a new one or rename it) or GE discussion is SC only (in which case lock or merge it).

Not allowed to discuss politics outside of the specially censored leftie echo chamber that is SC.

If Labour does lose the next election I expect OC to have specially trained counsellors on hand to deal with the aftermath lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely - I'm not far away from being able to just give up my job and then do forklift/telehandler driving or something else less stressful. Just need to grind a little more to get over the line for plan B if plan A doesn't happen. Maybe low-stress job ideas is for another thread. :)

Actually that got me wondering - what happens if you just give up work? Do HMRC/DWP start pestering you? I notice that I have the maximum state pension contributions required now thanks to the link above so don't see any reason why I'd get hassle.

EDIT: Sorry for derailment - this should really be in the pensions or another thread.
If you dont claim anything you wont get hassled. If you can afford to live of savings or have early pension then thats that.

If you claim something from the DWP, universal credit as you have no income. Who knows, When I last claimed job seekers which was many many years ago, they tended to treat people who qualified via NI contributions better (as they have work history I assume), and would not be pressured early on, but the longer it goes on for would get more intense. the last time I was on jobseekers which is the longest I have ever been on it, they left me alone for first 6 weeks, then I got told I was moved up a phase, and on next sign on it wasnt enough to just sign a form I was pushed some jobs over the counter, one of which I was interested and I remember asking why it wasnt advertised, and was told they reserved it for those who needed extra help, and I got that job, so I wasnt on the 2nd phase very long. This was long before they started the work programme, mandated work placements and so on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom