Tour de France 2014 in UK

Man of Honour
This news appears to have been overlooked.

The 2014 Grand Départ will be in Yorkshire followed by two more stages in the UK:

Grand Départ - Leeds/Harrogate 190km - Saturday 5th July
Stage 2 - York /Sheffield 200km – Sunday 6th July
Stage 3 - Cambridge/London 170km – Monday 7th July​

Promo videos:

More:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/grand-depart-2014.html

Get those dates in your diary. :)

Soldato
It wasnt overlooked, just the discussion about it when it was announced is now hidden way back in the road cycling thread.
I think pretty much everybody who posts in that thread will be going to see it :D

Also note that the Giro d'Italia will be starting in ireland in 2014.

Man of Honour
OP
It wasnt overlooked, just the discussion about it when it was announced is now hidden way back in the road cycling thread.
I think pretty much everybody who posts in that thread will be going to see it :D

Must have been very well hidden because I didn't find any reference to it. Anyway it deserves a far wider audience than here. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've definitely discussed it on here but I can't for the life of me find my posts. Weird. Anyway, it's around my birthday so I'll be taking a long weekend and possibly on to France for a fortnight after. We went to the Alps on honeymoon last year and had an awesome time so heading back this July for the Tour and more cycling. :D

Soldato
My misses has family in Sheffield who live a couple of minutes walk from the route into Sheffield. We've already "booked" our room :D I imagine hotel prices in Harrogate etc will rocket when that weekend is released.

I think I might have been signed up as a Le Tour Maker as well.

Caporegime
I'll be making sure that I'm there at the start of the Cambridge leg, and we'll probably visit the parents for when it passes through Howarth.

Soldato
IIRC, the stewards for the tour when it was last here were volunteers. I was asked to steward the Kent part of the tour through my lions club. I'm hoping the organisers ask again as I missed out last time (I was abroad at the time)

Soldato
I'd so love to go see this but there's no chance right now, I'm guessing every hotel on the route has put their prices up tenfold or more!

Man of Honour
OP
The route for the 2014 Tour has been announced, running from Saturday July 5th to Sunday July 27th 2014. It will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,656 kilometres:

9 flat stages
5 hill stages
6 mountain stages with 5 altitude finishes
1 individual time-trial stage
2 rest days​

The full route and stage details:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/us/overall-route.html

Le Tour Yorkshire - Grand Départ 2014:

http://letour.yorkshire.com/

Soldato
Still can't believe this is coming past my house....twice! Will be wierd seeing the peleton on roads I travel every day (first 6 miles is on my actual commute!)

In case anyone missed it there's a great video by Welcome To Yorkshire (bike builder at the start is Feather who was featured in cycling magazine - I'd love one of his bikes!

http://t.co/5XhrHhpFg3

Caporegime
My neighbour has organised a camping trip to Yorkshire with the guys I ride with. I didn't get it together to go with them, and I'm not a fan of camping anyway, so I think I'll get up early on the Sunday and get across there to see it. I can get a train to Oldham easily enough and ride from there.

Plotting...

Plotting...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom