Tower block fire - london

Caporegime
bloody Nora!!!

Just got in after a night out and switched the news on. This fire in North Kensington is unbelievable! Honestly, if you haven't seen it, switch on the news. The whole block is ablaze. Never seen anything like it.

I've never seen a whole high rise tower block ablaze like this. Just horrific. Hundreds of people having their lives ripped apart in a few hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Best wishes to all those affected.

Caporegime
OP
Jesus what did I start.

I love how 5 live are saying "why does it take a disaster like this to change things, do we not care about people" obviously have never been near industry. It took multiple tragedies to bring in the multiple regulations we have, i.e. flixborough disaster and piper alpha brought in the dsear regulations.

Unfortunately you cannot regulate for every possible situation as it would mean no work would be done. There is a risk vs cost involved in all work. If the risk is low then there is no point spending a large amount of money on it
Every episode of Aircrash investigation I've watched always ends with new procedures and regulations being brought in to prevent the incident happening again.

Caporegime
OP
The reaction of the locals has been fantastic. People turning up with so much food and supplies that the centres are no longer able to take any more in.

Sometimes it seems like the general public responds better to situations like this than the government is capable of.

Caporegime
OP
I genuinely wonder what's going to happen to the site. I take it the fire damage was just too great to reuse the shell of the building so I guess it's coming down. What will go up in it's place? More social housing or "affordable" shoe boxes?
I highly doubt another tower block will go up, who would want to live in it after that, and there's not enough space to build low rise social housing for 600. I would suggest the site is cleared and probably turned into some form of memorial garden. If they can't find all the bodies then the site will probably be consecrated anyway.

It will be redeveloped with limited social housing with the displaced shipped out to other boroughs. I also would not be surprised if the other tower block is deemed unsafe and emptied.
I don't think they will ship people out to other boroughs. That would be viewed too insensitive and akin to social cleansing. They will need to rehouse them in the borough or offer huge compensation to be moved out of it.

We don't know what damages could come out of this yet. Could be astronomical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP
Sky have a lot of faults but the newscaster presenting at the moment does seem like a genuinely nice bloke. I suppose when you have been at the scene for such a long time talking to so many people, you begin to feel part of it.

Caporegime
OP
The council says they will reimburse people who have paid for their own accommodation.

I wonder what the cutoff is? Hotels in that area are not exactly cheap, you can be looking at £200 a night just for a budget hotel. If they have to be gone a week, that's nigh on £1500.

Back
Top Bottom