Tower block fire - london

Soldato
I genuinely wonder what's going to happen to the site. I take it the fire damage was just too great to reuse the shell of the building so I guess it's coming down. What will go up in it's place? More social housing or "affordable" shoe boxes?

Soldato
I genuinely wonder what's going to happen to the site. I take it the fire damage was just too great to reuse the shell of the building so I guess it's coming down. What will go up in it's place? More social housing or "affordable" shoe boxes?
It will be redeveloped with limited social housing with the displaced shipped out to other boroughs.

Caporegime
OP
I highly doubt another tower block will go up, who would want to live in it after that, and there's not enough space to build low rise social housing for 600. I would suggest the site is cleared and probably turned into some form of memorial garden. If they can't find all the bodies then the site will probably be consecrated anyway.

It will be redeveloped with limited social housing with the displaced shipped out to other boroughs. I also would not be surprised if the other tower block is deemed unsafe and emptied.
I don't think they will ship people out to other boroughs. That would be viewed too insensitive and akin to social cleansing. They will need to rehouse them in the borough or offer huge compensation to be moved out of it.

We don't know what damages could come out of this yet. Could be astronomical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I don't think they will ship people out to other boroughs. That would be viewed too insensitive and akin to social cleansing. They will need to rehire them in the borough or offer huge compensation to be moved out of it.
Don't you believe it. Give it a few months of temporary accommodation and the families will then be shipped everywhere and anywhere once the media furore has skipped on to the next tragedy.

Caporegime
David Lammy, Labour MP for Tottenham summed it up: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ondon-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

This is the richest borough in our country treating its citizens in this way and we should call it what it is. It is corporate manslaughter. That’s what it is. And there should be arrests made, frankly. It is an outrage.

Many of us across the country have been caught up in an election knocking on housing estate doors, travelling up to the top floors of tower blocks, and we know as politicians that the conditions in this country are unacceptable.

We built buildings in the 70s. Those 70s buildings, many of them should be demolished. They have not got easy fire escapes. They have got no sprinklers. It is totally, totally unacceptable in Britain that this is allowed to happen and that people lose their lives in this way. People should be held to account.

Permabanned
There are 2925 tower blocks in London alone, mainly brought about by population growth exceeding the available land for single or two or three story dwellings. Of these only 18 have sprinkler systems. Upgrading to sprinkler systems, for example, not that that may be a panacea to such buildings ills, would be massively expensive, as is maintaining these structures which were often steel reinforced concrete that proved to be less durable than was envisaged. It begs the question, to me, where do you draw the line as to when population growth is at such a level that free or "affordable" housing, and its safe maintenance is a burden councils are now unable to financially meet?

Soldato
There are 2925 tower blocks in London alone, mainly brought about by population growth exceeding the available land for single or two or three story dwellings. Of these only 18 have sprinkler systems. Upgrading to sprinkler systems, for example, not that that may be a panacea to such buildings ills, would be massively expensive, as is maintaining these structures which were often steel reinforced concrete that proved to be less durable than was envisaged. It begs the question, to me, where do you draw the line as to when population growth is at such a level that free or "affordable" housing, and its safe maintenance is a burden councils are now unable to financially meet?

I suggest councils are given enough money by the incumbent government to ensure people can live in safe conditions. There is no alternative.

Soldato
Richard whathisname was saying on breakfast TV that only need £44million to install sprinklers in every tower block, not sure if country wide or just London.

Soldato
I suggest councils are given enough money by the incumbent taxpayer to ensure people can live in safe conditions. There is no alternative.

Quoting Chris Wilson numbers above and using £25m as an average build cost (excluding demolition and land costs) for a 20 storey tower, that is about £60bn in London alone. Take all cities in the UK, pro rata population 65/8.5 gives £450bn as a rough costing. Obviously not all the population resides in high rise, but the above rough calculation is a ball park for rebuilding all high rise in the country.

Soldato
What is the deal with fire extinguishers in places like this? Not saying they would have made a difference being there if they weren't already.

Only reason being is that when my friends were at uni they were in a 5 bedroom house and every bedroom was a private room with it's own rent. However this meant that they had their own fire extinguishers, and one also found in the kitchen, so 6 in total for the house. Which seemed overkill.

They were inspected regularly also.

Soldato
Generally if flats ever have students in them, the regulations are quite harsh.

But poor people? Nah.

Wasn't Uni accommodation or anything, was just a regular house that had been adapted to student's most likely living there due to its close proximity to the Uni.

And thought students = poor people :p

Soldato
Maybe if the £12mil renovations had been more concerned with saving lives than climate targets, we'd not have dressed the tower up as a giant candle and would have avoided such tragedy.

Such updates to these buildings need serious changes.

Caporegime
Maybe if the £12mil renovations had been more concerned with saving lives than climate targets, we'd not have dressed the tower up as a giant candle and would have avoided such tragedy.

Such updates to these buildings need serious changes.

No one will care in a week because "brexit means possibly brexit" and the speedily forgetful British Public will bay for blood elsewhere.

Soldato
No one will care in a week because "brexit means possibly brexit" and the speedily forgetful British Public will bay for blood elsewhere.

This. I'm still waiting to hear how 4 terrorists slipped though the net not 3 weeks ago. May and co getting off lightly again

I see she's sneeked in and out of the site like the rat she is.

Back
Top Bottom