1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Bikes

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Kreeeee, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Is there a track bike thread?

I just bough a Yamaha R6 track bike that came with pretty much a full bike worth of spares and parts, so have a picture and now show me yours.

Mine's the white one, my brother in law bought the orange one two days ago:
    [​IMG]

It has so many parts with it. 3 exhausts, spare rear wheel, 2 spare front wheels, loads of different sized sprockets, 2 new tyres, loads of spare fairing pieces, a spare tank, full set of stock suspension, second frame, loads of original pieces, tyre warmers, front and rear stands, uprated rear suspension...
    [​IMG]

Oh, and apparently the Swiss don't know why "69" is funny, so I had to explain it to the previous owner who is in his 60s.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  2. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

What state of tune is the engine in?

Are the 3 exhausts held together with springs?

3. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

1) Stock, but he had a 660cc motor that he was planning to put into it. I declined as that's too much work for me and if I ever need more power then I will just buy a litre bike.

2) No, jubilee clips and exhaust paste are needed to change exhausts. You can see them in the box at the back.

4. Foghorn Leghorn

Wise Guy

Very good bike the r6 5eb.

Cbr600rr3 here.

[​IMG]
    Waiting for scrutineering to open

[​IMG]
    Obligatory action shot

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. Scort

Mobster

Lovely bikes! I'd love a track bike, or a supermoto for the track - maybe when I buy the next house; I'll get a garage and make the dream come true :)

6. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Lovely bike.

What does scrutineering entail? I've only rented bikes before for track days so they did everything for me.

I know my tyres have 1-2 track days left in them so I'll be bringing my spare tyres and pads to my first track day, but is there anything else I need to be thinking about?

My purchase was only £2000 and that's in mega expensive Switzerland so the entry price can be very low. I'm certain that the ongoing costs aren't cheap though.

7. Scort

Mobster

Sadly, our current house doesn't have a garage, just a couple of allocated spaces behind a coach house, and space out front for a drive - next on the list of home improvements! Currently, the RS lives out the front of the house, as we are set back from the cul-de-sac up a private road. Still not actually done a track day - my local circuit is Castle Combe, which can be hired privately for about 2.5k; mates rates!

8. Foghorn Leghorn

Wise Guy

I shouldn't think you'll need to worry about scrutineering, it's not something we do in the UK although Switzerland might be different. I don't track day anymore just race with a regional club.

Look after it like you would your road bike, keep on top of your suspension, brakes, change oil and filters regularly, chain and sprockets, tyres etc.

Good price for a 5eb with the spares you have, they're the club racers weapon of choice over her for golden era supersport.

9. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Well I had a fun weekend.

Ass cam is a little weird:
    [​IMG]

I prefer the rear view where I can see my brother in law chasing me:
    [​IMG]

10. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

I'd love a track bike and I've looked into it so many times, even into looking at how I could turn a transit van into an overnight camper with room for a track bike! The cost of individual track days puts me off though, especially as my nearest track to home is Oulton park, or where I work now, my nearest track is Brands which is 2 hours away :(

11. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

My nearest track is 3.5 hours away.

12. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Thruxton is under an hour away from Fareham.

13. uksoldierboy

Mobster

Been using my R1 as a track bike for the last 2 years really, been through a few colours and exhaust/setups in that time but really pleased where it is now.

Just got back from Cadwell park, did Spain again in May too which is always fun.

as to the distance to tracks putting people off, i have more fun in 1 session on track than a whole year of road riding if i did it anymore, regardless of the drive, after the first session it's always worth it, unless it's raining and you forgot to bring wets.. then it's crap :p

Here's some pics of the bike and some onboard from Cadwell before it started hammering down.

R6 looks great btw, loved my 05 5SL.

Just a word of warning with the 5EB R6s, they love to crack the liners, if it starts cutting out when warm do a compression test, most if not all of them suffer with it at some point, there are companies that will reline them, but normally cost more than the bike is worth.

A few mates run them as track bikes and have had great fun on them, dropping the oil after each trackday seems to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF3rmDsjQUY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  14. Minibiker

Mobster

And its one hell of a quick track ;):D

15. Minibiker

Mobster

Great shots @uksoldierboy bike is looking smart!! I've always wanted to visit Caldwell, the track looks immense from the drop down into the left all the way through to the start line

16. uksoldierboy

Mobster

Cheers Mini,

It's incredible bud and absolutely worth the horrendous drive at least for me "4hrs", the nickname "mini Nurburgring" is well deserved, bonkers place, was my first time there and can't wait to go back.

17. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

They don’t do bike days :(

18. Fireskull

Sgarrista

This sadly, and Castle Combe which is also close has such tight noise regs that a lot of standard bike exhausts won't pass noise testing :(

Bike looks great @uksoldierboy !!

19. MowyTone

Mobster

Ideal for electric bikes! *spits*

20. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Thanks for the advice and nice photos uksoldierboy.

I got a video of a random lap. I didn't time them so I have no idea if this is my best or worst time.