Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
People value experiences. Netflix, Prime have commoditised the film watching experience. CineWorld offers something unique.

If cinema was a new offering, not a 100+ year old industry in terminal decline, you might have a point.

They aren't offering anything new or unique. They're offering what's been available for decades, which people don't want any more. It's not a compelling investment at all.

Soldato
If cinema was a new offering, not a 100+ year old industry in terminal decline, you might have a point.

They aren't offering anything new or unique. They're offering what's been available for decades, which people don't want any more. It's not a compelling investment at all.
You mean like horses?

Caporegime

Out of all the countries in the world pre pandemic only the states had an increase in cinema ticket sales.

I doubt they will ever go away but I doubt they can ever be as big as they were decades ago.
most films only have around 90days now before they go on streaming sites.

one of the movie companies did some deal where it's only 30 days, I can't remember which one
the time of going the cinema because you can't watch a film at home for a year are long gone

Soldato
I think you guys haven't been to a proper cinema in a while. It isn't about just watching the latest release in whatever gimmicky improvements Dolby or Sony have made.

Soldato
I think you guys haven't been to a proper cinema in a while. It isn't about just watching the latest release in whatever gimmicky improvements Dolby or Sony have made.

I went a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in years. It's the same underwhelming, overpriced experience it was decades ago.

The only difference now is that I have better display technology on my living room wall. Looking forward to watching Dune in a setting I can see what's happening in the dark scenes!

Caporegime

Exactly. We've got Odeon Unlimited memberships and our local Odeon is one of the posh ones with recliners and stuff, it's great to get out and watch a film in a cinema.

Soldato
I went a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in years. It's the same underwhelming, overpriced experience it was decades ago.

The only difference now is that I have better display technology on my living room wall. Looking forward to watching Dune in a setting I can see what's happening in the dark scenes!
Maybe your local one just sucks. I watched Ford vs Ferrari a while back and a chap who actually raced in Le Man gave a speech before curtains opened. I ordered a charcuterie and beers to my table and lounged in massive recliners. I happily spent £70 versus begrudgingly spending £40 at the cinemas 'of the 90s' on overpriced crap food and sticky floors.

Soldato
Maybe your local one just sucks. I watched Ford vs Ferrari a while back and a chap who actually raced in Le Man gave a speech before curtains opened. I ordered a charcuterie and beers to my table and lounged in massive recliners. I happily spent £70 versus begrudgingly spending £40 at the cinemas 'of the 90s' on overpriced crap food and sticky floors.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Doesn't really change the fact that Cineworld is a horrible investment, circling the drain.

Soldato
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Doesn't really change the fact that Cineworld is a horrible investment, circling the drain.
It depends on your objectives. For long term growth, maybe not. For a speculative short term punt then maybe its worth it. Over a year ago I bought in at 26p and then sold at 80p. Not a fortune but a nice gain and probably my best individual share trade. People value experiences and once this pandemic nonsense is over then I think it will get a bounce.

On a separate note - anyone going in on BOO? Crashed to c110p from a 52w high point of 376p. Looks like it could be an opportunity

Soldato
It depends on your objectives. For long term growth, maybe not. For a speculative short term punt then maybe its worth it. Over a year ago I bought in at 26p and then sold at 80p. Not a fortune but a nice gain and probably my best individual share trade. People value experiences and once this pandemic nonsense is over then I think it will get a bounce.

On a separate note - anyone going in on BOO? Crashed to c110p from a 52w high point of 376p. Looks like it could be an opportunity

I'm in it already with an average around 190p

I can't decide whether to use this to average down or not. They're ultimately still profitable and in theory should be a decent long term hold, but i'm already quite into them and there's the risk of unbalancing my portfolio by being too heavy on them.

Caporegime
Between my wife and I we've now had a few free shares on Freetrade using their referral thingy, and every single one has been an absolute clanger. Today's is particularly spectacular:

DAvh5rs.png

They really are using the crappiest stuff as incentives, once you spot the trend it's quite funny :D

Caporegime
Hydroponics is a fancy name for something you can set up with a few clay balls and a fish tank aerator/water pump.

The money will be with the big companies that install he vertical grow gear in Amazon warehouse sized buildings

Soldato
Between my wife and I we've now had a few free shares on Freetrade using their referral thingy, and every single one has been an absolute clanger. Today's is particularly spectacular:

DAvh5rs.png

They really are using the crappiest stuff as incentives, once you spot the trend it's quite funny :D
Lol same. I have a Babylon share, down 40% :D

Back
Top Bottom