Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Whats the feeling with Barclays ? I got out of them at a nice safe small make, thinking of getting back in soon for some easy 'safe' gain, thoughts ?

Man of Honour
RKH is just getting started if you can hold on longer :)

Read the various high-ranked posts on iii - excellent knowledge.

I was going to buy SOLG last week but literally all my £ is in RKH/DES/RRL/HER and I didn't want to sell any, or buy any more shares with any other funds (got to have rules). Kicking myself though....£500 would now be £2000 or so!! Or £0 however :)

Soldato
Whats the feeling with Barclays ? I got out of them at a nice safe small make, thinking of getting back in soon for some easy 'safe' gain, thoughts ?

I sold last of Barc at 342. They been down and up, general channel is still down with 390 a target if they were to do any different. (250 downside)
You just missed the last touch of the low shore of this channel, can always scale in of course depending if you think this market will keep going.

XLF is the usa banks etf, Barclays is of course very usa based also see BCS for further direction

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5066/img12854553706293537942.gif
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6682/img12854569684166697890.gif
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7707/img12854593571392936736.gif

Associate
Been accumulating small cap undervalued Gold/Miners the past few months. Have top sliced AGQ, GGG, BHR, PGD, AAZ, HER and MARL along with GKP and RKH a while ago so now just enjoying the free ride with those. These are my long term holds. Any retrace and i will buy more. Nice feeling having a virtually free portfolio right now. Still in LLOY and RBS from 49p/29p and continue to buy on dips.

I've day traded plenty of others too numerous to mention.

Have to say, it's been another cracking year :D

Man of Honour
Sold DES, RKH, RRL and FOGL on Thursday morning when most of them were steeply up. Very pleased, solf at a high, when I checked back a few hours later the gains were all but gone, so quite happy. I will continue to monitor and buy back at a lower price.

Associate
Could anyone tell me what Limit Price (in pence) means when trying to buy shares through x-o.co.uk?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
You place an order for an amount of shares and when they hit that price (the limit) your order is actioned. (i.e they get bought at the price you asked)

Edit to add official wording....
Limit Order (UK)
If you place a limit order you are leaving an order to place a trade as soon as a stock price improves to reach your chosen limit price. The two types of limit order are :

* Buy limit - you buy shares once the price drops to your chosen limit price.
* Sell limit - you sell shares once the price rises to your chosen limit price.

You can choose when you want your limit order to be valid until up to a maximum of 90 calendar days.

Limit Order (International Markets)
If you place a limit order your order will only be filled at your limit price or better.

You can choose for your limit to be valid for 1 day or 25 working days.

As these markets are order-driven, on occasion we may not be able to fill your entire order or you may get multiple fills for your order. For example, if you place an order to buy 100 shares, you could get a fill of 50 shares only so your trade would end up being a buy of 50 shares. Another possibility is that you could get a fill of 50 shares and two more fills of 25 shares to make up your entire order of 100 shares.

Please note that market orders can vary for different exchanges

Last edited:
Soldato
It means whats your best offer for these shares. It limits the price you buy at, often the price will spike at 8am but the average for the day might be 10p cheaper.

At market order will take whatever price is there when it goes through, pretty random

Sell limit is like a reserve price at an auction

GKP very bullish, it needs to keep above 137 now to maintain its outperformance otherwise 112 becomes possible though it seems highly wanted, news coming I guess
129 is the old high

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3538/img12855324061292243938.gif

Oil in simple terms is at top of its recent range. If us dollars keep going down oil should continue up I think
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1696/img12855326210636264196.gif

Associate
Thanks for the replies guys.

If I wanted to buy a value (£1,000) of shares as opposed to a specific number I still have to set a limit.

Bid : 278.00
Ask : 279.00
Mid : 278.00

I originally thought £1,000 would just buy as many as it could when trade next opens.

I am guessing that if I put below 278 then I wouldn't be able buy any? So if that is the case it makes sense to put 279 or higher? Sorry for the noobish questions. Their Q&A isn't very detailed.

Soldato
What if the day opens at 300? you still want to buy them then?

But if it opens at 270, I bet you do..

So put in a limit order of 272 for eg,

You don't have to put in LIMIT ORDER, you can just put in a MARKET ORDER. In which case if it opens at 300 you will buy a £1000 worth (less the fee) @ 300

Even a dumb ass like me who is seriously crap a maths can work that out. :D

Last edited:
Associate
That is the strange thing. It won't allow me to go further unless I put in a limit. Also there is no option for market order in the drop down. How odd :D

Soldato
I have an account with them. You choose value of shares to buy or you can choose number of, not both

It does ask for a limit price but you can put 99999 if you like. Berkshire A shares are like 72k each :D Ive bought 30 quid shares and they were cheap :p now risen to 420p :confused: (after a share split)

I am guessing that if I put below 278 then I wouldn't be able buy any? So if that is the case it makes sense to put 279 or higher? Sorry for the noobish questions. Their Q&A isn't very detailed.

If you put a lower price then the market book then you get nothing. Who knows maybe you get lucky

Im more interested if anyone has ever used their 25 settlement day option. I wonder if they even let you delay payment that long, it would be useful
I could have bought POG and GKP in august and sell them now before I even had to pay, nice and +20% each easy

Last edited:
Soldato
Mate at work did.. 20K's worth (on the advise of his broker/trader)
Got somewhat stung as they didn't go up in value before he had to pay for them.. Oppsie lesson learnt!

Back
Top Bottom