Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
.......Once you have the data, you can analyze it in R (http://www.r-project.org/) the main libraries (addons) are tseries and fSeries. .........
Like I say any questions post here.

I'm trying to get into this and recently found quantmod library for R that is suited to stock analysis.

The charting strategies I've looked into rely on historic day-by-day analysis - therefore any decisions to buy/sell are made at end of day, for the following days' trade. Am I doing this right? Is it possible to analyse data by the minute and make strategies to work on a tighter timeline?

Soldato
emotionsupdated2725045.png

Soldato
Doing alright with LLOY atm, I was off work last week so I took some time to trade the daily swings, bought in at 102, sold at 107.7, bought again at 104.5, sold again at 107.5, bought at 103, and today they closed 109.6 :)

Associate
I'm doing well with MNR and AST just now.....up 190% and 129%.

Recently bought into MWA and PMK up 41% and 12%.

Also holding HZM, UCP and LGO...up 36%, 22% but down 12% with LGO.

Can't belive I have had the chance to get invested at such low prices. Everyone around me was telling me to wait and that I was crazy to invest with the way the markets were. Roll on the recovery and then onwards to the next recession.

Made 300% on ORE when they were taken over earlier in the year.

Biggest mistake was with CFM. Was buying and selling between 2.7-3.3p and now they are 18p. Lesson learnt.

Also had bought into WHY at 8p, watched them climb to 40 odd pence but ended up selling at 27 and 13p.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yeah I hadnt really thought that through, temporary brain fail there:o, I was holding on to that as a reason to not sell and rebuy. lol

In hindsight that would have been good but I've tried that so many times with barclays and it never worked. :(

Hindsight is great, but doing what I said can be risky as if you time it wrong you end up buying back in at a higher price than you sold if it doesn't drop as much as you think.

Personally if I'd been holding from such a relatively low buy in I probably wouldn't have bothered. Ok it won't make me the most money, but it's less stressful :)

Associate
Does any one have any thoughts on the Barratt Developments right issue coming up. It's a 1.3 offer at 100p.

I bought my current shares at 179.46p. Should I trust them to work well with this extra cash or is the share price just going to drop down to 100p?

Best guesses anyone?

Soldato
I dont especially trust house prices to rise apart from inflation or for house builders to be much in demand for the next decade.
I expect rights is to pay down debt, the answer probably lies in examining how much debt they will pay off and if so when is the next expiry

try iii

Soldato
Doing alright with LLOY atm, I was off work last week so I took some time to trade the daily swings, bought in at 102, sold at 107.7, bought again at 104.5, sold again at 107.5, bought at 103, and today they closed 109.6 :)
and what did that make you?

Soldato
Must be CFD's or similar to be getting anything from that. Trading such small margins for me would just cost me.

cfd is just leveraged, £100 paid is usually £1000 of shares and costs or profits. If he traded 3k of lloyds, 5% would be a profit

Consistency is key I think, 5% alone is crap and might as well stick to savings. 5% every week is brilliant, usually its mixed in with losses so its hard to say alone whether its worth doing

lloyds ri should reduce their costs long term. Basically they had to do this and it should be a plus but there could be a lot more negatives ahead anyhow so yea the ri is good but are they worth investing in is another matter

Back
Top Bottom