Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Yeah im in as well, some people on boards are just idiots though, putting up sell recommendations purely just because it didn't open with a bang like royal mail or twitter.

Its a slow burner with a good dividend and im sure come April I will be up more on this than the 2.55% I get on my Cash ISA

Caporegime
The only ones making money out of those "Webinars" are the ones being paid for it.

yup

trading webinars are fundamentally flawed - there aren't many incentives to teach others what you're doing assuming you have a genuine edge - there is a strong disincentive in so far as sharing an inefficiency (thus inducing more people to compete over/trade that inefficiency) erodes your edge, reduces that inefficiency

you're unlikely to find anyone willing to teach you to trade unless they're either backing you financially (say at a prop firm, market maker etc..) or you're working on the same desk in a larger employer thus contributing to the pool of money they too will derive their bonus from

for most other situations you just have to ask yourself - what in it for them? The likely answer in most cases is that what they have to offer isn't actually worth anything so the optimum solution for them is to sell it/market it rather than trade it themselves

Associate
Easy jet looks like a buy at the moment, should have bought them that day Ryanair released rubbish results though as they have already recovered some of there loss since then. With the special divi it's going to yield 5.5% between now and the end of March

Soldato
I think Questor mentioned them. I figured plane use might be in decline with general poor growth but Im probably mistakenly thinking of them as luxury when the dynamic is greater efficiency and usage.
I know in Asia its a growth story and that figures, Rolls Royce has been a great idea in recent years.

This guys recent trades, still holding RM I see:
QrAqlQx.png

Im thinking GKP or CEY at 46 could be a fair bet. Both super risky in theory, cey is 3 PE

trading webinars are fundamentally flawed
Dont you think this is a really simple argument. He can speak into a microphone and have 2 people hear him, 20, 200 or 20,000 all paying him to speak and its not really a greater burden on him. Is there any point to disputing economies of scale on this, to disagree is like a luddite point of view clearly it works
He cannot impart 20 years of knowledge in an hour, I agree but he can give a few pointers in the right direction and that can save thousands thereby making whatever fee well worth it. In any case the alphatrends guy has posted a video every week for 5 years, no cost to access, benefits of the modern age. Twenty years ago I used to read the newspaper stockprices for free, that and a couple articles was your lot really. Im a cynic most of the time but thats just how it is, take it or leave it.

There is some effort and bother to actually take an interest, learn candlesticks as it gives open, close, high, low prices where as a line chart gives close only, etc Like in the video above, doesnt pay to overthink. Candles are a fairly simple idea (not TA btw)

Last edited:
Associate
How did the Infinis IPO go? Merlin seems stuck around the 345, about 30p up on the IPO price.

Was looking at Cineworld, gone down a bit now the founder leaving. Put still a solid company with good growth potential.

Soldato
Thug
Soldato
If you had $500,000 available for 2 weeks of virtual trading (with the aim of writing an interesting report on all things financial derivatives based) what stocks would you recommend purchasing?

Really need some advice!

Thanks.

Soldato
If purely virtual you could do some research on companies likely to release news or results in the next 2 weeks and take a punt you might get lucky,or not :D

Only other option is to to spread it in some shares on the rise, Easyjet doing well or similar, and mibbe hope for a 3-4% rise overall

If it was easy to get rich in 2 weeks everyone would be doing it!

In other news check out http://www.sharesense.co.uk/ I got a email through this week, 10 day free trial (no payment details reqd)for lots of sorted and well organised info on a well designed website
Got some potentials alone out the free trial that ive put on my watch list, may shell out for a months access nearer ISA time

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you had $500,000 available for 2 weeks of virtual trading (with the aim of writing an interesting report on all things financial derivatives based) what stocks would you recommend purchasing?

Really need some advice!

Thanks.

Bit confusing - you want to write about derivatives but first want pretend to buy equities?

Thug
Soldato
If purely virtual you could do some research on companies likely to release news or results in the next 2 weeks and take a punt you might get lucky,or not :D

Only other option is to to spread it in some shares on the rise, Easyjet doing well or similar, and mibbe hope for a 3-4% rise overall

If it was easy to get rich in 2 weeks everyone would be doing it!

In other news check out http://www.sharesense.co.uk/ I got a email through this week, 10 day free trial (no payment details reqd)for lots of sorted and well organised info on a well designed website
Got some potentials alone out the free trial that ive put on my watch list, may shell out for a months access nearer ISA time

Thanks for the advice. I don't necessarily need to make money on every one of them, I just need things to talk about. eg I did this that and the other for this because etc etc

Bit confusing - you want to write about derivatives but first want pretend to buy equities?

As above.

Caporegime
Dont you think this is a really simple argument.

yup... its also generally correct as explained earlier... no one with anything worth sharing, as far as short term trading is concerned, is likely going to share anything with you unless there is something in it for them... or they're retarded and fancy giving away free money. As soon as you start trading an edge you erode it...

Supposing someone did have some inefficiency to share and chose to share it with 20,000 people... well its also not worth anything now as it won't exist any more...

If you want to believe in all the people posting videos talking about magic candle sticks etc.. etc.. then go for it... these people are not going to give you anything useful

Thug
Soldato
Still confused - how does picking some stocks help you to write a report about derivatives?

Derivatives is the name of my topic (as in we do financial derivatives). Part of the module is to have an active account buying and trading, on which a report is produced. I'm behind in my trading and need some quick trades (don't all have to be good ones), so I've got something to talk about.

Caporegime
Derivatives is the name of my topic (as in we do financial derivatives). Part of the module is to have an active account buying and trading, on which a report is produced. I'm behind in my trading and need some quick trades (don't all have to be good ones), so I've got something to talk about.

Would it not perhaps be better to virtually trade derivatives rather than the underlying equities then?

Soldato
Sounds like a normal fantasy account would be ok, halifax do one. Just buy any of the ftse stocks and look for stories on them, see if you can predict weakness perhaps

Derivatives, read this maybe but options are really confusing and can make money outside of a stock, like if you were selling insurance I think it is- https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/displayPage.tos?webpage=trainingProducts

Supposing someone did have some inefficiency to share and chose to share it with 20,000 people... well its also not worth anything now as it won't exist any more...

If you want to believe in all the people posting videos talking about magic candle sticks etc.. etc.. then go for it... these people are not going to give you anything useful
Like a stock tip or a horse race. I think he teaches what to look for. Why would he 'give this away' I guess because its not free, people have to risk money and watch a stock all day maybe. Teach a man to fish and he might just drown, not easy imo

Bar chart, line chart, pie chart, candlesticks. same data, its just a way to present things. Dont just use lines, my tips are free :p (a mistake I made at first) This is a maths point more then opinion and above, our disagreement on 'tips' is about probability again its maths. So in absolute terms he is a liar or a fool for giving away worthless or golden info but really its a maybe and markets force work on participants

RMG weak below 550 I reckon. I guess it'll run in line with ftse itself as well.
Xcite is so tiring, big up yesterday and I hope it can level out and stablise then gain some altitude at some point. I sold some just because I cant wait forever, gov policy on north sea is aiming to encourage growth & cooperation

Last edited:
Caporegime
Like a stock tip or a horse race. I think he teaches what to look for. Why would he 'give this away' I guess because its not free, people have to risk money and watch a stock all day maybe. Teach a man to fish and he might just drown, not easy imo

That's another great example of where its flawed - people selling tips on horses also generally have nothing of value to offer... handicappers are not likely going to give away their methodology either - if they're able to model certain betting markets better than the rest of the market then sharing what they do will simply erode or even eliminate their edge.

Its not so much teaching a man to fish as telling a bunch of other fisherman the locations where you've got your best catches... they would then quickly cease to become good areas.

Back
Top Bottom