1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, 2 Apr 2009.

1. silversurfer

Capodecina

I think that would vary on the broker. Often there is a fund with more then one class to it, so yea min 100k for this fee rate but maybe 1k min on another broker, another class type, same fund but possibly a bit higher cost.

3% yield especially after inflation and fees would be good on average thick and thin. 15% is fantasy yield that Buffet gets and recently he doesnt afaik. He provided cover for the SP500 index on its lows and its about triple now even after falls, hell of a bet (option) and his call for was billions

Market rises in late USA trading as Yellen will speak soon apparently. Which means it can all reverse back down, speculation calls off the shorts

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sp-500-index-is-not-your-buddy-2015-01-14

Last edited: 25 Sep 2015
  2. freshdeniability

Gangster

3. haz_pro

Wise Guy

Yep it is a little more expensive (little for me, I don't have a huge amount of money in there), but I found it worth it so I could use their website and app. Some of the other dealing sites were shocking.

4. silversurfer

Capodecina

5. Psyisk

Gangster

Nice one on the Lloyds tip, I have registered for it (y)

6. silversurfer

Capodecina

'Royal' Mail fully private

:o
    same as lloyds, generally worth consideration would be RMG though I expect they are going to open up competition a bit like they did to BT (who are fighting to retain the net backbone)

Immediate sale and no special offer here, it might lead to weakness in price but I suspect they pass it onto index trackers to start. It might be smart just to buy FTSE every month, as it gets BP cheap and all sorts that can move massively, RMG more passive
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/britain-sell-remainder-royal-mail-160618694.html

7. silversurfer

Capodecina

:eek:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...ft-stock-2015-10-23?mod=BreakingNewsSecondary
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-cloud-efforts-pay-off-stock-jumps-8-2015-10-22

8. dowie

Capo Crimine

some of these early employees at succesful tech firms have made an absolute fortune

granted Balmer was CEO too (though that is partly a function of being an early employee and therefore luck rather than pure meritocracy/skill)

even the grafitti artist at facebook made 100 million or so

I'm pretty sure microsoft had a few secretaries who became millionaires back in the day

9. LionOfJudah

Hitman

10. jmhduck

Wise Guy

11. Simon

Capodecina

HSBC changing their S+S ISA to now include a quarterly fee :( I cant remember exact but about £15 a month - oddly its not on their website

Trade costs have reduced from 12.95 to 10.95 though

12. willems

Wise Guy

really? thats rubbish. have you looked to go elsewhere?

13. mid_gen

Capodecina

Very high risk....Iran hasn't been wrecked by war/natural disasters, it's a pretty well developed country as is (as much as Western media likes to make out it's some backwater). Although the thawing of relations with the west is going to potentially lead to a lot of development, it's also possible they do something stupid like a nuke test and you'll probably lose the lot.

I've chucked a fair bit into a fund here after the VW scandal hit the markets. When everyone else sells, buy...unlikely to go too far wrong with that strategy.

14. jmhduck

Wise Guy

Bloody hell and I thought Interactive Investor were expensive, leave!

15. Simon

Capodecina

It used to be completely free. Is moving shares easy enough?

16. jmhduck

Wise Guy

I expect you'd need to register an account with someone else and fill in a form with HSBC information on, I've never gone through the process myself. Ring up a broker and ask how long it takes. Or ring up HSBC tell them you're going to leave and do they want to re-think their charges :p.

17. Vanilla

Sgarrista

So I want to move my S&S from HSBC investdirect to TDwaterhouse, guess the charges mentioned above mean I have a good reason.

I was using the individual accounts to track how much I had made on each share but once they get merged with my other ISa and other normal trading account I guess all that info is lost?

Edit: For example I have Lloyds shares in HSBC acc and in TDwaterhouse, each showing their individual profits. Guess that will all get blurred now and will have to manage it manually!

18. jmhduck

Wise Guy

You may be able to manually edit the amounts paid for shares in the account - you can on interactive investor. Obviously not literally but in terms of how the information is displayed.

19. Vanilla

Sgarrista

Did they send you a letter or something? If so can you post it (obviously removing any personal info)

20. Simon

Capodecina

Yeah letter arrived yesterday, I have a bad memory - it will be £10.50 a quarter.

[​IMG]