Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Not gonna lie I don't know what conversation you were having then :p

I was talking about the question dellta0 asked where he mentions he has some US tech shares and if it was worth sitting on waiting for a dollar strength increase. As I said if his stock has a 5-10% jump that is likely to generate more profits than waiting to see if the dollar rises, which if it does there is just as much chance of his stocks going down however many % which would erase any dollar rise. Not many stocks i've seen tend to just go up because their base currency is strong.

I think that is where the misunderstanding is, the stock doesn't need to go up if the base currency of the stock rallies relative to the base currency of the holder of that stock then they profit from that base currency move even if the stock remains flat. You said that it makes little difference to individual stocks but that is besides the point if there is a dollar rally then of course holding USD denominated stocks is usually going to be beneficial in addition to any gains you may get from the movement in those stocks themselves. You're both long those stocks and long USD... being long USD when USD rallies well... (again I'm not saying it will)

Soldato
I have Japanese stocks but its hedged to Sterling. There is an effect that makes USA stocks more expensive in that holders want to have dollars because its a world reserve currency. Like how we see prices translate badly from RRP in $ and £ I think it relates
2500 euro would match the scale of the last reset
Lucky guess today:
UzLNJmS.png

similarly 3400 euro ~ matches some previous lows since Aug. Above $3600 would be positive to hold above presuming vs tides lines in the sand can mean anything :D

Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 1h1 hour ago
Would you believe that Apple has underperformed the S&P 500 since the iPhone5 first went on sale 5 years ago? $AAPL
https://t.co/ZUgg5ZY4jd
I'd like to buy Apple lower, I have done previously even but if they can keep maintaining such premiums they are probably worth holding long term. Such premiums make them risky feels like but they have genuine brand loyality, it does fit into Buffet's portfolio I guess. BRK.B might itself be safer

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of charting, trading and tech stocks in here- you're braver than me. I've gone for generally steadier options, though I'm definitely a contrarian- best way to be in this business.

Don't like the idea of managed funds either, even Woodford has come unstuck recently. Don't see the point in handing over commission and losing flexibility.

Soldato
Started a thread on crypto section no reply so I found this thread I will post my question here

Does anyone here do stock trading in BTC, I am looking into it now with Plus500 using demo mode buying long and short seems you can profit up or down if you watch it close

seems you have to 'ride the trend' according to advise I found online, so trying this now in demo

any tips?

Caporegime
https://www.plus500.co.uk/Instruments/BTCUSD

This, not sure if I am using the right language/terminology for this as I am new to this whole thing but seems you can trade BTC just like any other share..

ah, not quite, you're talking about trading it via a CFD... though yes you can trade shares via a CFD too (which is quite sensible with regards to short term trading in UK stocks to avoid stamp duty - albeit generally better with a DMA type provider such as interactive brokers or IG Markets) :)

Soldato
Thanks I think I understand it better now, so are there any good tips for trading like this I have been looking at a few different sites Plus500, Markets.com, Trading212 and plus500 seems to be the easiest to understand and use, still in demo mode right now making small profit, keeping to realistic trade values and ignoring that I have £50,000 demo money and keeping to a £1000 margin on +£225 now but some of that was earned by going outside my own margin so still hard to say if its worth it + this BTC instability makes a much faster process and I know that 'real shares' don't work this way and the BTC market will eventually become stable again once this whole china thing blows over so not sure its it's worth getting into

https://i.imgur.com/4WtZvWm.png

EDIT: This is what it looks like for anyone that wants to know (demo mode)

Last edited:
Associate
so need to pick someones brains,

I have held axa framlington biotech now for 3-4 years, it has turned 10k into 20k.. however for past year and half it has been stale

up 2 percent, down 2 percent

I do realise this is a high risk fund, but part of me thinks, cash it in now and put it into something better, like scottish mortgage investment trust, which has risen 30 percent this year alone.. however I have 50 percent of my portfolio in that

am I being greedy and chasing returns? thoughts?

Caporegime
Gained 10% on Nvidia already since I put 5k into it the other week... wish I'd have put more on now! Think I'll wait to see if it drops a little more and then put some more on.

Soldato
Sell the higher price, wait for lower is what I'd be thinking just on volatility both points are likely to occur before market decides which is correct but I havent a clue what the correct pricing for Nvidia is at such levels. I'm hoping to be short or hedge at least the sp500 but the overall trend is up no doubt.
I also thought Tesla pricing was bonkers, wasnt a bad buy whoever got that. Still I'd be leaning towards taking profits not adding, until they become cash flow positive or similar type base line backing

There is a 17% discount between the UK and Australian listings of BHP apparently, which is hard to believe as the assets contained by both quotes are the same. Tax favours Aussie law but I live in UK so not exactly relevant, says Questor.
Centamin is coming back to its new year pricing on a higher gold price with small ex div end of Sept, it may not fall further till that passes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...star-this-quarter-may-just-be-getting-started

Associate
Don't think i'll ever sell my stocks. I've got some real dirty ones that pay nice dividends, the type that destroy the world like royaldutch/shell and glaxosmithkline

Caporegime
Was just curious who you use to buy/sell if not. Not looked extensively at buying US shares, but would consider it.
Ok, better to ask questions more specifically next time. ;) Nope I'm not in USA and am currently using my own banks trading system, but I did just apply to open an account with TD Ameritrade that I will transfer things to after as it's much cheaper there. :)

Caporegime
Cheers. Guessing you bought Nvidia for the momentum? Looks pretty expensive, though some of you are obviously braver than me!

I bought Nvidia because I know it is going to be a huge player in AI, and that the time of AI is only just truly dawning. I believe that their stock price will rise significantly over the coming years.

I also believe that Qualcomm will rise sharply and AMD too over the next few years as their fortunes improve.

Associate
Hi Guys,
Which (UK) platform online do you guys recommend for trading in both crypto and stocks plus commodities? I've been dabbling on different sites but would be great to do so from one platform, rather than have my portfolio spread out. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom