Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Just throw a chunk into index trackers and forget about it.

This

Then don't login to the account until 2029!

I am seriously considering deleting the HL app from my phone as I shouldn't be checking it every day! Its long term and I know it but cant help a peep but its to easy when its there on my phone and its 20 times quicker to login with my finger print.

Caporegime
I am seriously considering deleting the HL app from my phone as I shouldn't be checking it every day! Its long term and I know it but cant help a peep but its to easy when its there on my phone and its 20 times quicker to login with my finger print.

That is pretty common, even among people who ought to know better! For example in one group of my friends on WhatsApp consisting of mostly people who are city professionals you'll get people fretting about being down X amount after Y event etc... even though they're talking about their investments in funds they're holding onto for the long term.

As long as checking every day doesn't turn into wanting to actively trade these funds that were intended to be long term investments then I wouldn't worry about taking a peep etc...

Soldato
This

Then don't login to the account until 2029!

Yep. I showed a young guy at work how to invest and buy into his first index funds and ETFs. For the first month the FIRST thing in the morning when I walked into the office he'd be 'Damn S&P down 5 points, MID CAPS are up though, phew, Global Property hasn't moved for 3 days now, is the fund broken?? etc etc.'

He's calmed down a bit now. He only mentions it every 2nd day.

Soldato
Horses for courses I think, and it depends on your attitude to risk and your capacity for loss. My ISA is in a mix of passive funds and model portfolios whereas my SIPP is actively managed by a discretionary fund manager. The latter is invested at higher risk but has comfortably outperformed the relevant benchmarks, albeit with higher volatility.

I know there were a few investors in Money Dashboard here - did anyone go back in for the recent fund raise? I matched my original stake - they're hiring good people and their order book seems robust and growing at the right rate.

Soldato
Hey all! I'm intending to start dabbling in some investments in a few things rather than simply have my savings sit doing nothing... Already have a little bit tied up in Crypto long term, looking into P2P stuff but it seems like a bad time to try and get into that, so want to start looking into stocks/shares, excuse what a noob I am but would love some advice as I don't know a lot about it... Based on research I have been doing I was thinking about two things:
  • Opening a Vanguard account and putting some money into a few funds/indexes (thinking S&P 500 but maybe others)
  • Maybe pick up some speculative shares in a few specific companies I think might do well over the next 5 - 10 years...

The Vanguard thing sounds fairly straightforward, but the second one I'm slightly confused by the steps. If a company says they're listed on a specific exchange (say Nex for example) then that exchange has a list of brokers, do you just get in contact with one of those (e.g. Barclays is listed for Nex) and open some sort of investing account then ask them directly to purchase shares in company X?

Soldato
Hey all! I'm intending to start dabbling in some investments in a few things rather than simply have my savings sit doing nothing... Already have a little bit tied up in Crypto long term, looking into P2P stuff but it seems like a bad time to try and get into that, so want to start looking into stocks/shares, excuse what a noob I am but would love some advice as I don't know a lot about it... Based on research I have been doing I was thinking about two things:
  • Opening a Vanguard account and putting some money into a few funds/indexes (thinking S&P 500 but maybe others)
  • Maybe pick up some speculative shares in a few specific companies I think might do well over the next 5 - 10 years...

The Vanguard thing sounds fairly straightforward, but the second one I'm slightly confused by the steps. If a company says they're listed on a specific exchange (say Nex for example) then that exchange has a list of brokers, do you just get in contact with one of those (e.g. Barclays is listed for Nex) and open some sort of investing account then ask them directly to purchase shares in company X?
'Dabbing' into investments isn't the best approach, it's good that you want to invest your money but you need a clear plan of what you to achieve otherwise you could end up selling at the wrong time and losing money. Your on the right path with the first option for long term steady growth look at investing in low cost mutual funds that have decent track record of beating the market. If you invested £100 per month and if you portfolio returned a rate of 7% per year over 15 years you will end up with £31,800 (times by what ever factor of £100 you plan to invest). Over the 30 years that would worth £122k thanks to the one of the most powerful forces in the universe call compound interest.

8% £34,834.51 and £150,029.52
9% £38,124.38 and £184,447.41
10% £41,792.43 and £227,932.53
(all the above ignores fees)

Soldato
Based on this thread I went and opened a Vanguard account with 3 of their funds (S&P 500, Global Minimum Volatility and FTSE Developed ex-UK), all at minimum initial investment and regular ongoing payments. Those 3 had decent past performance and the lower end of fees so hopefully get some good growth out of them. Was probably finally time I made use of my ISA allowance :D

Soldato
I know there were a few investors in Money Dashboard here - did anyone go back in for the recent fund raise? I matched my original stake - they're hiring good people and their order book seems robust and growing at the right rate.

I intended to get into the first round but kept putting it off until it was past the deadline. Was only gonna stick £100 or so in though so unlikely to be retiring money! Then felt i probably missed the boat the second time around although they seemed to hit their targets very quickly.

I'm probably ignorant to it but where is their revenue potential? They offer a platform for free to consumers. Is the long term plan to offer a more personalised advice service? Whilst i enjoy their platform i wouldn't consider paying subscription fee for it.

As for the comments above, i'm certainly guilty of looking at the movement too often. Just looked now and it's supposedly up £700 from when i opened the account last month (my SIPP). With the Vanguard Retirement fund up £500 alone.

It's a dangerous thing to do as i'm sure there'll be a correction and i'll feel like i've "lost" money when it drops.

Soldato
'Dabbing' into investments isn't the best approach, it's good that you want to invest your money but you need a clear plan of what you to achieve otherwise you could end up selling at the wrong time and losing money. Your on the right path with the first option for long term steady growth look at investing in low cost mutual funds that have decent track record of beating the market. If you invested £100 per month and if you portfolio returned a rate of 7% per year over 15 years you will end up with £31,800 (times by what ever factor of £100 you plan to invest). Over the 30 years that would worth £122k thanks to the one of the most powerful forces in the universe call compound interest.

8% £34,834.51 and £150,029.52
9% £38,124.38 and £184,447.41
10% £41,792.43 and £227,932.53
(all the above ignores fees)

Perhaps I came across a bit too flippant in my original post... I'm taking it seriously and trying to plan, have good a good enough head for numbers but the actual process is unfamiliar... My aim is pretty simple; make some long-term investments that are going to beat out the (frankly pathetic) rates that I'd get keeping the money in savings, without going totally overboard in terms of risk (I've already got a risky/volatile enough investment in Cryptos!)

Definitely will look into Vanguard, seeding it with some initial cash to familiarise myself with the process and get things setup. As for monthly investments we'll see, although the bulk of any excess money coming in each month I think will continue to go on mortgage overpayments rather than into investments for the foreseeable future...

What about the process for investing in a specific company via Nex exchange or similar? That part is a lot less clear to me than setting up Vanguard

Soldato
Definitely will look into Vanguard, seeding it with some initial cash to familiarise myself with the process and get things setup. As for monthly investments we'll see, although the bulk of any excess money coming in each month I think will continue to go on mortgage overpayments rather than into investments for the foreseeable future...

Vanguard is pretty simple to set up, having done so at lunch! Be warned that there are minimums for how much you can pay in as a single payment and as monthly payments! Was hoping I could spread a smaller amount around 3/4 funds.

Soldato
Just consider that whilst it's obviously higher risk. As long as whatever you invest in returns greater than your mortgage then it could be a better option. If a fund can generate 7% on average and your mortgage is 2% then over 5 years, if you were to overpay £4000 each year.

You'd end up with an extra £3500 in your ISA compared to your mortgage balance.

Depending on how much you overpay at the moment it might be worth splitting it to overpaying slightly less and also sticking some into an ISA

Caporegime
I made a rather nice, for me, amount at the start of this year just flipping every fund I had into Chinese funds and a Russian one.

Horrific gamble, but Ive gotten a new pc out of it and paid for a holiday at Xmas.
Yes I know Its a long term investment, and suffer from the daily checking bug too, but it's so nice to manage it to some degree and draw off some of the profits to just have fun with.

Im probably going to die early so why do I need millions of Krona saved, when I can be enjoying it now?

Soldato
I intended to get into the first round but kept putting it off until it was past the deadline. Was only gonna stick £100 or so in though so unlikely to be retiring money! Then felt i probably missed the boat the second time around although they seemed to hit their targets very quickly.

I'm probably ignorant to it but where is their revenue potential? They offer a platform for free to consumers. Is the long term plan to offer a more personalised advice service? Whilst i enjoy their platform i wouldn't consider paying subscription fee for it.

As for the comments above, i'm certainly guilty of looking at the movement too often. Just looked now and it's supposedly up £700 from when i opened the account last month (my SIPP). With the Vanguard Retirement fund up £500 alone.

It's a dangerous thing to do as i'm sure there'll be a correction and i'll feel like i've "lost" money when it drops.

Their revenue is entirely from selling anonymised data to asset managers, to better predict the financial performance of the listed firms where we spend our money. The amount of granular data they have access to is astonishingly detailed, and very valuable to predict the financial performance of a business. Fascinating stuff - a true data-driven business without selling out the individual.

Soldato
I made a rather nice, for me, amount at the start of this year just flipping every fund I had into Chinese funds and a Russian one..
I'd go the full brics but thats adventurous, nice timing. I attribute that to the Fed policy reversal. Nice trade but also I think it has to be closed to be called successful, where the temptation might be to just leave it open indefinitely since its done so well. I'd argue just leaving the profits in that trade if any.

CEY 90p to 120p area has played out, should gone in more on that but I'm already over balanced for a company with mostly just 1 country risk. Tried to go with a gold fund more then shares. Its gone past 130 now and I hope it continues but feel like I'm forced to take profits on that idea. The gold price to me seems very sturdy and likely to enter into a pattern of rises to match easy money policy and its own commodity cycle.
However I think Lloyds is a good share to take an interest in now, as its much cheaper then its long term prospects could have it at. I thought for ages its one of the best shares vs risk even though its a bank its relatively simple, not exposed in ways like Deutsche Bank or RBS continue to be.
http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/new...ofit-and-income-slips-but-hikes-dividend.aspx

ACA is to be become part of ABX, yet another LSE gold share is gone into a bigger company not traded here. FT100 is still commodity based but seems a shame the timing for most investors who are FTSE fund based means the gains will be lost on gold and margin expansion for miners. How many people bother to own a gold fund, I dont think its popular at all

CNA and WPCT continue to be disaster shares, woodford sells most of his shares ? wow FRES news is pretty dam awful, is that just the investment cycle that long term mining requires

Last edited:
Soldato
Their revenue is entirely from selling anonymised data to asset managers, to better predict the financial performance of the listed firms where we spend our money. The amount of granular data they have access to is astonishingly detailed, and very valuable to predict the financial performance of a business. Fascinating stuff - a true data-driven business without selling out the individual.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

Soldato
Thinking of closing my HTB ISA, routing that lump sum to my savings then using the £200mth direct debit I used to pay to HTB to put into some funds. I would probably sign up with HL and I was looking at splitting my £200mth over HL Select, Lindsell Train Global Equity and maybe a Vanguard fund or Bailie Gifford. Any reason I shouldn't do this.

Note I also have a LISA which I will be using for my first house purchase.

Soldato
I'm still researching, currently thinking about going with Fidelity over Vanguard, since they are less restricted (i.e. you can access more than just Vanguard's own offerings)... Fees seem okay as well (0.35% provided you deposit a minimum of £50 a month)... anybody here have any experiences with them?

Soldato
Yeah, i signed up with Fidelity. Much prefer it to HL

I've found the site can sometimes have lag and timeout when you're trying to do something. I had a deposit fail twice before it finally worked, and then checked my bank and there was a "hold" on the 2 failed transactions. For the most part though it's a good interface.

Caporegime
Yeah, i signed up with Fidelity. Much prefer it to HL

I've found the site can sometimes have lag and timeout when you're trying to do something. I had a deposit fail twice before it finally worked, and then checked my bank and there was a "hold" on the 2 failed transactions. For the most part though it's a good interface.

Is the fee for Fidelity £45 per year? I hear that in the US it has 0 fees. At least for index funds.

Back
Top Bottom