Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I have my personal SIPP/ISA with Fidelity. Have done for a few years now - they finally have a decent app on Andriod now so you can do pretty much everything online.

I recommend the vanguard LifeStrategy® 60% Equity Fund to clients as part of overall portfolio - the Vanguard platform is super cheap and straight forward but limited to their funds. Having spoken at length to their business development manager over a number of years - I don't think they have any plans to become a "fund supermarket" like Fidelity.

Simple £50 a month - use Vanguard.
3 or 4 funds, ISA and a SIPP - Fidelity

That's my own personal view and should not be seen as forming any part of advice or recommendation

Caporegime
I have my personal SIPP/ISA with Fidelity. Have done for a few years now - they finally have a decent app on Andriod now so you can do pretty much everything online.

I recommend the vanguard LifeStrategy® 60% Equity Fund to clients as part of overall portfolio - the Vanguard platform is super cheap and straight forward but limited to their funds. Having spoken at length to their business development manager over a number of years - I don't think they have any plans to become a "fund supermarket" like Fidelity.

That's my own personal view and should not be seen as forming any part of advice or recommendation

I currently have my ISA with Barclays, interest is crap....is it easy to switch over to Fidelity?

Soldato
@booyaka

I accept this might not be something you'd personally had to do but do you know if there are any charges to transfer part of a pension pot (workplace pension with Scottish Widows) into a SIPP?

My SW pension is not doing great. I'd like to keep all my pensions together and there's around £5k/yr going into it. My plan is to transfer a lump sum over every 12 months or so. I did speak to SW but the person i spoke to seemed fairly useless!

Soldato
I always liked the old SW adverts, they had the same campaign for over a decade. I would go ask HL about doing such a thing as they are always offering to transfer in funds to their SIPP. I'm not saying actually go with HL but the person who wants your cash is likely more eager to assist in such a query. SIPP is self managed, so you are changing types.

vsvIWZE.png

Soldato

I was originally looking at Vanguard but based on my research would I be right in thinking that it's probably best suited for real long-term investing? e.g. retirement plan? Whereas something that's more of a "supermarket" as it seems to be called will be better for a mixture of longer term stuff and mid or even shorter term stuff down to penny-stocks if that's something one wanted to get involved in? (that may be exactly what you're saying but I'm too much of a noob to realise it)

Soldato
@booyaka

I accept this might not be something you'd personally had to do but do you know if there are any charges to transfer part of a pension pot (workplace pension with Scottish Widows) into a SIPP?

My SW pension is not doing great. I'd like to keep all my pensions together and there's around £5k/yr going into it. My plan is to transfer a lump sum over every 12 months or so. I did speak to SW but the person i spoke to seemed fairly useless!

It is unlikely that there'll be charges to do a partial transfer, other than investment transaction costs for selling in the SW pension and then buying whatever investments you want in your SIPP.

I make regular partial transfers out of my workplace pension (L&G) into my own SIPP, and there's no cost at either end.

Soldato
I was originally looking at Vanguard but based on my research would I be right in thinking that it's probably best suited for real long-term investing? e.g. retirement plan? Whereas something that's more of a "supermarket" as it seems to be called will be better for a mixture of longer term stuff and mid or even shorter term stuff down to penny-stocks if that's something one wanted to get involved in? (that may be exactly what you're saying but I'm too much of a noob to realise it)

Vanguard are just another asset manager, albeit one with a fairly reasonable approach and a low cost, who also offer an investment account and ISA wrapper for their funds. So if you use their ISA or investment account you're only going to get a choice of their own funds.

Investment platforms, like Fidelity, offer a very wide range of funds as well as their own, and also access to other investments such as equities. Whether it is long or short term is entirely down to you... (but penny stocks will not be the answer no matter what your question, unless your question is "what should I never invest in?").

Soldato
@Marvt74 - Are you a live member of your workplace pension scheme?? - if so you will need to check whether they will allow you transfer the funds out whilst being a live member. Normally this is not allowed.....Please check this before you do anything.

Until you leave that employer or stop being a member of the scheme - transfers are not "usually" allowed out whilst you a live member.

I'm assuming I've read that correctly that you are still paying into the works scheme??

Soldato

Not really - @The_Abyss has answered it well.

They are ultimately the same thing - Vanguard platform & Fidelity platform. They house your ISA/Pension etc.

Main difference is Vanguard on offer their own funds, no one elses (at this time - they are not likely to change that any time soon according to my contacts), Fidelity offer their own funds, plus everyone elses (I have vanguard funds in my pension which is on the Fidelity platform)

As above - stay well away from penny stocks - utterly pointless things.

Stick to the basics funds - stay away from individual equities at the initial stages. Leave the stock picking choices to the professional fund managers

Soldato
As above - stay well away from penny stocks - utterly pointless things.

Stick to the basics funds - stay away from individual equities at the initial stages. Leave the stock picking choices to the professional fund managers

I wasn't seriously thinking about penny stocks, just using it as an example (I think I've covered the borderline-pointless investments well enough with Crypto!)

Cheers for the advice, I think I will probably go with Fidelity and see how things go

Soldato
It is unlikely that there'll be charges to do a partial transfer, other than investment transaction costs for selling in the SW pension and then buying whatever investments you want in your SIPP.

I make regular partial transfers out of my workplace pension (L&G) into my own SIPP, and there's no cost at either end.

Excellent. Thanks

@Marvt74 - Are you a live member of your workplace pension scheme?? - if so you will need to check whether they will allow you transfer the funds out whilst being a live member. Normally this is not allowed.....Please check this before you do anything.

Until you leave that employer or stop being a member of the scheme - transfers are not "usually" allowed out whilst you a live member.

I'm assuming I've read that correctly that you are still paying into the works scheme??

Yes, still a live member. I did explain this to their support who seemed to suggest there were no fees to do the transfer but as mentioned they didn't seem to have much of a clue! Sounds like @The_Abyss has success of doing the same thing though so i'll stick a transfer in and see what happens!

Associate
Never looked into anything like this before. Just opened a Vangaurd account. Went with lump sum opening, LifeStrategy® 100% Equity Fund.

Watched a few youtube vids and just went for it! Seen Vangaurd mentioned on here a few times just read the last couple of pages.

Have I made a more choice?

Thanks all.

Caporegime
Hows peoples funds done over the past 2 days?
I've pretty much lost Everything i've made this year. 2019 is going to be terrible.
Starting to wish i bought a house instead.
thats not entirely true im being dramatic... lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Hows peoples funds done over the past 2 days?
I've pretty much lost Everything i've made this year. 2019 is going to be terrible.
Starting to wish i bought a house instead.
thats not entirely true im being dramatic... lol

I'm still up massively on AMD, Microsoft and Twilio

Soldato
Never looked into anything like this before. Just opened a Vangaurd account. Went with lump sum opening, LifeStrategy® 100% Equity Fund.

Watched a few youtube vids and just went for it! Seen Vangaurd mentioned on here a few times just read the last couple of pages.

Have I made a more choice?

Thanks all.

sounds a like bit "rash"...

Back
Top Bottom