Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I think I need to open an ISA if I'm going to do this long term. I assume it will negate the 'blow' somewhat like with the CGT I had to pay for the GME shares

Make sure you do it before the end of March so you can use this year's allowance.

Dump your 20k in, and anything you do with that account is exempt from CGT, even if the value of the portfolio grows well beyond that 20k.

Bit daft to not have used a S&S ISA for a GME YOLO tbh if you made more than 12k!

Soldato
Nearly 30 percent now.
Nealy a billion market cap

Annoying as i sold some of one of my funds yesterday to try and get into it but with those transactions taking a few days it's not going to go through in time. My issue with Crypto is i don't believe in it, so it makes it hard to justify. So far it's caused me to miss out on the insane gains, but i just keep telling myself it'll pop.

I think sticking something small into Argo gives me that little exposure without risking too much.

Soldato
Make sure you do it before the end of March so you can use this year's allowance.

Dump your 20k in, and anything you do with that account is exempt from CGT, even if the value of the portfolio grows well beyond that 20k.

Bit daft to not have used a S&S ISA for a GME YOLO tbh if you made more than 12k!

Was a spur of the moment thing I gave it zero thought and I assumed it would take days to set up. Luckily? I had quite a lot of tax free allowance left as I only started my new job in November.
Thanks for the advice.

Soldato
Was a spur of the moment thing I gave it zero thought and I assumed it would take days to set up. Luckily? I had quite a lot of tax free allowance left as I only started my new job in November.
Thanks for the advice.

99% that you did not pay CGT properly.

If i make £22,300 in capital gains, and have exactly £0 income, or benefits of any kind. How much CGT do i owe?

Soldato
No idea. I just used the calculator on the gov site with my criteria. I'm sure I'll find out if it was wrong.

Well in that case keep in mind that your income being below the personal allowance does not reduce capital gains tax liability.

The answer to my question is £1000, but if you add income of £40,000, it would still be £1000

Soldato
Well in that case keep in mind that your income being below the personal allowance does not reduce capital gains tax liability.

The answer to my question is £1000, but if you add income of £40,000, it would still be £1000

I just assumed it had an affect because I was asked how much salary I will earn before the end of the tax year and what my allowance was hence my comment :). Sorry if it seemed I was implying it had a direct correlation.

Soldato
That makes sense, thank you. Regarding Isa, is there a general go to or are they much alike? I'll be doing my own research regardless.

Every S&S ISA is identical in terms of the wrapper, but what you can hold within the wrapper and how you manage it (platform) will differ. The top two are probably HL and Vanguard.

Soldato
Bought some shares with HL which then got de-listed (maybe not the right term) from the market and moved to OTC.

I need to find a reputable broker who deals with OTC stuff so I can transfer (then sell) these shares.

Anyone personally recommend a broker? Anything I should be aware of? Bit of a newbie but seems clear cut - find new broker, transfer to them, sell

Soldato
Bought some shares with HL which then got de-listed (maybe not the right term) from the market and moved to OTC.

I need to find a reputable broker who deals with OTC stuff so I can transfer (then sell) these shares.

Anyone personally recommend a broker? Anything I should be aware of? Bit of a newbie but seems clear cut - find new broker, transfer to them, sell

Trading 212 handle OTC tickers.

Soldato
ARB flying the last two day. I looked at this a few months ago and started tracking but looks like I missed the boat!
However I'm back in the black with TUI and RR. Looked at my portfolio last night and I haven't got any red figures since starting a couple of years ago . Best performance from Bailie Gifford American B inc which is 110% up. My other tracker funds / ETF are much more precarious if a crash comes!

Back
Top Bottom