Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
You could buy whatever you wanted. Whether or not it would be retarded... is not really for us to say. You need to do your own research and be very aware that you could make a loss. Might be an idea to start with smaller amounts and maybe not put all your eggs in one basket.

Associate
OP
it depends on the company and what they have in the pipeline.
i bought CHAR at 26p which then proceeded to fall to ~17p for a few months - had i sold and realised my loss i would have missed out on the rise - its now at 123p and will go much higher in the future imo.
other companies have gone down and not recovered - each case is different.

You're quoting a highly speculative oil&gas co. in which you probably had a small % of your total assets invested and got very lucky (or you had prior knowledge, if you did I'd stop posting about it now). It would be more interesting if you quoted every one of your stocks gain/loss position over a similar period.

My point was people should not be buying then saying "I will hold longer" as it falls, without continually reassessing why it is falling.

Soldato
You're quoting a highly speculative oil&gas co. in which you probably had a small % of your total assets invested and got very lucky (or you had prior knowledge, if you did I'd stop posting about it now). It would be more interesting if you quoted every one of your stocks gain/loss position over a similar period.

My point was people should not be buying then saying "I will hold longer" as it falls, without continually reassessing why it is falling.

all my share are risky ones - i'm currently down slightly overall but am confident of turning that around very soon.
the point i was trying to make is that just because something is going down doesn't mean you should sell and take your loss - patience is required. if you panic and sell every time your shares go down then you shouldn't be in shares at all (and you probably won't be for very long).

Soldato
Can anybody recommend any reads (books or web) for someone who has never invested in shares before or understands the markets.

I am pretty good at just absorbing and understanding lots of info so am tempted to spend a couple of months swatting and then getting involved.

Soldato
What's the deal with Yell, i've tracked them for months and seen the price go from 30p up to 60p and now back to 25p. Any reason for this? I'm tempted to take my profit from RBS and put into Yell for a few months.

Hi well. Things seem to be doing well, then the CEO and CFO quit so they went down around 20%. They then kept falling.

They found a new CEO and went up around 15% the next day they the results came out and they went down another 18% lol.

Overall I am loosing around 3k in YELL but it will go back up with time. I will just have to wait.

XTA has done very well today and this is my biggest holding so I am very pleased.

Soldato
Westhouse Securities reiterated its "buy" recommendation for the oil exploration company Petro Matad (MATD), maintaining its 200p target price, following the group's exploration update. The main point of the update is that electronic logging has been completed on DT-1 which confirms the earlier interpretation of the well. In particular, significant indications of oil have been found in six significant sandstone horizons with a total net pay of 12 metres. The broker commented that the results of the wire-line logging underpin its view that the "DT-1 has made a significant oil discovery." The shares slipped 12p to 132p.

Soldato
Can anybody recommend any reads (books or web) for someone who has never invested in shares before or understands the markets.

I am pretty good at just absorbing and understanding lots of info so am tempted to spend a couple of months swatting and then getting involved.

I have found the Questor column in the Telegraph useful... :)

I'm getting itchy trigger finger on LLOY now, I'm tempted to sell and short the retrace... Never done that before, and I've heard of people that lost more trying to sell highs and buy dips than those who just stayed in long term, but I can't believe that there won't be at least a ~10% retrace as people take profits from an almost 40% rally since July 1st when the results are announced tomorrow...

Associate
Overall I am loosing around 3k in YELL but it will go back up with time. I will just have to wait.

Careful not to have an attitude where anything that goes up will continue to do so, and anything that goes down will...well it will be ok...it will go back up over time.

I'm not saying anything specific about YELL. I haven't looked at it, but seen a similar comment posted a number of times. A good investor should be able to cut bad positions at a loss.

Soldato
Shorting earnings news out of hours has to rate as fairly high risk, hedging what you own isnt
Top end for Lloyds I have about 75, it might spike upto that for 5 mins and then lose 15p. Shorting without enough margin could force you to buy at 75

RRL is still retracing its gain, sold some EMED so I can buy some a bit before close today though it could fall further to 5.5 and still be very bullish

Back
Top Bottom